Oshie, Berglund, & Paajarvi = 0 pts

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
You couldn't be more wrong. Lehtera's contract is actually cheap for that type of player. He's been ok and he will only get better. I'm still thinking he's a steal for that contract. It's a joke that Ott gets about the same salary and that Berglund gets $1 mill more. Lehtera is a much better player than Berglund.

You're really overdue for a new fixation.
Maybe you could talk about how terrible Gunnarsson is going to be?

RR10*

You're really overdue for a new fixation.
Maybe you could talk about how terrible Gunnarsson is going to be?
I think Gunner is going to do good. I'd like to see Gunnarsson and Lindbohm in and Jackman and Leopold out.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
You couldn't be more wrong. Lehtera's contract is actually cheap for that type of player. He's been ok and he will only get better. I'm still thinking he's a steal for that contract. It's a joke that Ott gets about the same salary and that Berglund gets $1 mill more. Lehtera is a much better player than Berglund.

Again I am not a fan of Berglund, but not sure how you can go out and say Lehtera is a much better player than Berglund after playing 4 games. Once again I want to add that I want him to succeed, but so far his skating is terrible and he cant keep up with the game. It just seems to be way to fast for him and maybe that is something that will come to him after around 20 games or so. And his contract is not that great if he doesn't work out. 2,750,000 for 2 years for guy that you don't even know if he can play in the NHL is quite bit for a team that is cap strapped like they are. If the guy pans out then I would agree with you that it will be a decent contract.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Figures.

In my league I have nothing but Lou Lamoriello disciples and in your league there's a guy trading Berglund for Tavares.
I need to swap with someone from your league (Someone other than you...I have Jaden Schwartz on my team and I bet I can get Crosby out of you for that one)

there were other pieces to the deal, 3 1st round draft picks that I managed to turn into Ben Bishop just before his big season in TB...so it wasn't all a wash. just mostly a really dumb trade. :help:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Again I am not a fan of Berglund, but not sure how you can go out and say Lehtera is a much better player than Berglund after playing 4 games. Once again I want to add that I want him to succeed, but so far his skating is terrible and he cant keep up with the game. It just seems to be way to fast for him and maybe that is something that will come to him after around 20 games or so. And his contract is not that great if he doesn't work out. 2,750,000 for 2 years for guy that you don't even know if he can play in the NHL is quite bit for a team that is cap strapped like they are. If the guy pans out then I would agree with you that it will be a decent contract.
I don't think the game is too fast for him, He's pretty quick for a big guy. Lehtera is strong on the puck though and has very good vision. I'm sure we could agree to chalk up the Arizona game as he was sick because be didn't seem very engaged.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I don't think the game is too fast for him, He's pretty quick for a big guy. Lehtera is strong on the puck though and has very good vision. I'm sure we could agree to chalk up the Arizona game as he was sick because be didn't seem very engaged.

Exactly. He came from Europe - a much faster game than the NHL, and thrived. How can the game be 'too fast' for him over here? I mean, the guy's got 3 points in 3 games (Arizona doesn't count), and has looked great with the kids despite being new to the team and getting 0 training camp time with Schwartz.

PREDICTION: I expect him to be a big part of the reason Schwartz and Tarasenko lead our team in scoring this year (thus my name).

Without him, Stastny is our only offensive center, and our team looks a lot less scary. Plus, we haven't gotten to see Steen and Lehtera work their magic yet.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

I would disagree that the Euro game is "faster" than the NHL. In the NHL, the rink is smaller and there is much less time to make any decision.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I would disagree that the Euro game is "faster" than the NHL. In the NHL, the rink is smaller and there is much less time to make any decision.

I assumed he meant faster, as in 'requires more physical speed', not requires faster reactions and quicker thinking.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
That's still incorrect. You can be quite a bit slower on international ice due to the increased width of the ice. It's one of the reasons why Berglund is so dominant in international play.

Playing on the larger ice surface requires a slightly different skillset and a better understanding of how to move both east-west and north-south whereas in the NHL you can get away with just north-south (MPS is a great example of this).
But speed really isn't the name of the game so much, an intelligent player can flourish as long as they understand positioning and timing which is more pronounced on international ice than in the NHL.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Thanks for clarifying! :)

So, one of the reasons why European players have trouble transitioning is there's just less room to move East-West?
Yes to a large extent which was one of the concerns a lot of us had with Lehtera.

That extra 15 ft across does not seem like much but it may as well be a mile especially for some players.

Then the closing speed (and intent) of defensemen in the NHL is a lot different than it is in the international game which is very much aided by the lesser size of an NHL rink.

Bunch of other stuff going on too obviously, but in regards to a particular type of player, rink size and the resulting changes from the differing size rinks is very much a major factor.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
How is it that Oshie is a master at the shootout yet a below average player on the ice? I barely noticed him out there tonight against the Nucks!

Plus I should add Oshie has missed his only shootout attempt this season.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
How is it that Oshie is a master at the shootout yet a below average player on the ice? I barely noticed him out there tonight against the Nucks!

Plus I should add Oshie has missed his only shootout attempt this season.

Okay...some things to understand...

A shootout and playing in a game situation are completely different so there's no reason to think one has to do with the other. An 0/1 shootout record is okay, it's fine. He's not going to have a 100% shootout record.

Oshie is going through a rough patch along with the rest of the team. Whether its because of the virus or Stastny being out or new players adjusting to the team and the NHL; this team is having a slow start, it happens.

I'm sure Oshie will be just fine.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I counted at least 5 times Oshie made a no look behind the back pass that went right to a Canucks player. That needs to stop immediatley

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The problem so far in this short amount of time isn't just the virus or Stastny being out. It's that Oshie, Backes, and Steen aren't playing to what they were last year. I'm sure they will eventually except for maybe Steen.

But at this time last year those guys were killing it, especially Steen. So we had those three plus Schwartz and Tarasenko just ripping it up and now we only have Schwartz and Tank. That's been the difference so far this season.

It's nothing to worry about...yet. It's very early and they're off to a slow start which they didn't have last year.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The problem so far in this short amount of time isn't just the virus or Stastny being out. It's that Oshie, Backes, and Steen aren't playing to what they were last year. I'm sure they will eventually except for maybe Steen.

But at this time last year those guys were killing it, especially Steen. So we had those three plus Schwartz and Tarasenko just ripping it up and now we only have Schwartz and Tank. That's been the difference so far this season.

It's nothing to worry about...yet. It's very early and they're off to a slow start which they didn't have last year.

The thing that makes me worry about Steen is how eager he is to shoot the puck. He's taking pretty bad shots often from non scoring areas and it's hurting us a lot, especially on the powerplay. The amount of times he's taken the shot from the point and missed the net leading to a turnover and clearance by the defense is a non-trivial number. Our PP has been focused on movement of Steen and Shattenkirk on the point instead of spreading the box and creating space for someone in the slot. I don't think that's a formula for a successful powerplay.

With the other guys who are struggling, the number one thing that needs to change is our success around the goalmouth. We are not picking up many rebounds and when we do, we rarely create another chance from it. Against teams that take away our options in the slot we need to be able to crash and pick up the rebounds and do something with the puck. If Berglund is to score 20 this year, he'll likely need to figure out that area of the ice and how to score from those second chances.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
Right now, besides Tank and Schwarts there is a lot of struggle going on, but it's early and I feel very confident they will get into their groove and turn things around! No need to worry unless we are still talking about them struggling a couple weeks from now, then it will be panic mode in today's every team gets a point almost every night NHL! I hate the loser points teams get.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
8 games in now

Berglund - 1 assist
Oshie - 1 assist

7.875 million dollars for both their salaries this year. They're not being paid to be good defensive forwards. It's time they start showing up on the score sheet.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
8 games in now

Berglund - 1 assist
Oshie - 1 assist

7.875 million dollars for both their salaries this year. They're not being paid to be good defensive forwards. It's time they start showing up on the score sheet.

They kind of are. Yes, more production is needed but their defensive aspect is a big part of their paycheck.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
8 games in now

Berglund - 1 assist
Oshie - 1 assist

Sure they need to produce more offensively, but both are absolutely beng paid for their defensive abilities. There's no doubt about that whatsoever.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Sure they need to produce more offensively, but both are absolutely beng paid for their defensive abilities. There's no doubt about that whatsoever.

It's not a blanket statement. Lapy is being paid mainly for his Def role / agitator.

Oshie is at 4.175/yr.
Can you break down how much of that salary the Blues think they're paying for his Def play? It's impossible. The same with Berglund. But if you were to try the price would be a fraction of the overall salary not the majority or anywhere close to it.

My point was and is that they are under substantial contracts to produce points and neither are.

Oshie looks lost at times. He's always fallen down a lot but it looks like it's his first year skating on ice.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Bergland has been fine. He's one of our best defensive forwards, and has really done everything except score goals. PLUS, everyone has been sick and the line mates are not used to each other, especially Bergland's line (he's been moved to Center, too). All the Bergland hate has little merit.

As for TJ, he's on the front page of ESPN.com right now. That's just silly. Obviously, the media has given him the 'franchise face' of the team title, and that's not Oshie's fault.

Oshie does need to be playing better, but it will come with time. Defensively, he's been a rock. His skating just needs to get back in it. Once the legs start working again, he'll be back to his old self. Give him some time where he's not being asked to defend AND score against the top lines while not having consistent line mates, and he'll be better than last year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not sure what's up with Oshie, from what I seen over the summer on twitter, he didn't really take time off. But as others said, with the sickness going around no one has been solid offensively. It's been big spikes in production from the kids. Oshie had such a solid season last year, no way is it a fluke. Claude Giroux was terrible to start last year and he finished in the top. Just saying let's not get on them too much this early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad