Oshawa Generals 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
In response to a comment above I respectfully submit that for one year of Tomlinson and none from Fowler, the Gens still owe the following draft picks a 4th in 22, 3 2nds in 23 , 2 2nds in 24, 2 3rds in 24 , a 4th in 24. Sad.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In response to a comment above I respectfully submit that for one year of Tomlinson and none from Fowler, the Gens still owe the following draft picks a 4th in 22, 3 2nds in 23 , 2 2nds in 24, 2 3rds in 24 , a 4th in 24. Sad.

And Ritchie aside, not much to show from 2020 & 2021 OHL drafts

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
agree regular season standing does not determine playoff winner, I thought the thread was more about playoff seeding … I think the east division teams have a slightly tougher schedule so I think Barrie (best team, imo) ends with #1 seed. Kingston should be very good, Oshawa can buy it’s way to being very good, Ottawa might find itself a couple of top OAs away from contention, and Hamilton just might be in the best position of the east division…the Pete’s 2003-04 seem quite good but 3-OAs away from 9th :)

Oh I was talking about who's most likely to win the whole thing, not necessarily just the regular season

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yeah no idea how Roger Hunt didn't predict a global tragedy coming before making those trades... ;)

And currently, the Gens still own these picks going forward:

2022: OSH 1st, Comp 1st, MISS 2nd, KIT 2nd, OTT 3rd, NIA 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th

2023: OSH 1st, ERIE 2nd, NIA 3rd, OTT 3rd (Robinson COND) OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2024: OSH 1st, ER 2nd (McShane/Cirelli COND), NIA 3rd, KIT 3rd (Kooy COND), OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2025: OSH 1st, OSH 2nd, OSH 3rd, OSH 4th, OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

So basically what every other team has, but the Gens will have 2 firsts next year along with 2 2nds

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Has it been ascertained whether the Gens are getting a Comp pick next year? Was not aware they had Kitchener's 3rd next year? How obtained?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah no idea how Roger Hunt didn't predict a global tragedy coming before making those trades... ;)

And currently, the Gens still own these picks going forward:

2022: OSH 1st, Comp 1st, MISS 2nd, KIT 2nd, OTT 3rd, NIA 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th

2023: OSH 1st, ERIE 2nd, NIA 3rd, OTT 3rd (Robinson COND) OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2024: OSH 1st, ER 2nd (McShane/Cirelli COND), NIA 3rd, KIT 3rd (Kooy COND), OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2025: OSH 1st, OSH 2nd, OSH 3rd, OSH 4th, OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

So basically what every other team has, but the Gens will have 2 firsts next year along with 2 2nds

not sure OSH has two 2nds 2022. Show me any of Saginaw, Ottawa, Oshawa will be granted comp 1st, I need closure

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
not sure OSH has two 2nds 2022. Show me any of Saginaw, Ottawa, Oshawa will be granted comp 1st, I need closure

You're right I forgot to take out KIT 2 2022 in the Fowler trade. In 2022 Gens have 2 firsts and just the MISS 2nd.

Regarding the comp pick, was told from someone who would definitely know that if a certain player is declared defected after camp starts, they will receive a comp 1st rounder next year. So if OTT does that with Moldenhauer and SAG does that with Fantilli then they'd also get one. But you then either need to trade the player's rights or you lose his rights and he can re-enter the draft

Has it been ascertained whether the Gens are getting a Comp pick next year?

Comp pick: see above

So with that correction, this is the Gens draft pick cupboard going forward:
2022: OSH 1st, MISS 2nd, OTT 3rd, NIA 5th, ER 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th

2023: OSH 1st, ERIE 2nd, OTT 3rd (Robinson COND) OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

2024: OSH 1st, ER 2nd (McShane/Cirelli COND), NIA 3rd, KIT 3rd (Kooy COND), OSH 5th, OSH 6th, OSH 7th, OSH 8th, OSH 9th, OSH 10th, ER 10th, OSH 11th, OSH 12th, OSH 13th, OSH 14th, OSH 15th

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

you made trades plural when the Fowler trade was mid pandemic. And from what I can tell, it was the biggest trade during the pandemic or when there was no plan in place to start an actual season.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
you made trades plural when the Fowler trade was mid pandemic. And from what I can tell, it was the biggest trade during the pandemic or when there was no plan in place to start an actual season.

Yeah and Fowler is eligible to return this year, which is why the trade happened. He has since decided to just got to school because he doesn't feel he's at an OHL level anymore because of the covid layoff. I would call that covid related, but you can call it whatever you'd like

Not to mention when the trade happened (this week last year) there was very much hope that a season would happen. So the hope was to get 2 years from him but you’d for sure get at least his OA year. Obviously now a year later we see they got boned on both ends, which is why my original post included the Fowler trade

Last edited:

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
E90tO-wWYAciCiy

Ty is looking like he's filled out quite a bit since we last saw him play at the TCC. Looking forward to a big year out of him.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
agree regular season standing does not determine playoff winner, I thought the thread was more about playoff seeding … I think the east division teams have a slightly tougher schedule so I think Barrie (best team, imo) ends with #1 seed. Kingston should be very good, Oshawa can buy it’s way to being very good, Ottawa might find itself a couple of top OAs away from contention, and Hamilton just might be in the best position of the east division…the Pete’s 2003-04 seem quite good but 3-OAs away from 9th :)
I would keep in mind Kingston's schedule is highly tilted towards Peterborough and Ottawa and less towards Oshawa and Hamilton. I expect Peterborough to be fighting for first pick and Ottawa is likely to be below average unless they have some major breakouts from their underachieving picks.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
ottsabrefan, you quoted the post that joked the Pete’s are 3-OAs away from 9th. I actually think they would still finish 10th after the team acquires mediocre OAs on the cheap, just don’t expect any futility records because their 2003-04 born should turn out to be really good. While we can expect a huge drop from the ‘67s previous excellence, their floor is probably middle of the pack. Should any/all of Niagara, SBY, OSH, Miss be sellers, they will be near locks for 7-9.
For now at least, I will stand by my statement that ‘the east has a slightly tougher schedule’ than the central.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
ottsabrefan, you quoted the post that joked the Pete’s are 3-OAs away from 9th. I actually think they would still finish 10th after the team acquires mediocre OAs on the cheap, just don’t expect any futility records because their 2003-04 born should turn out to be really good. While we can expect a huge drop from the ‘67s previous excellence, their floor is probably middle of the pack. Should any/all of Niagara, SBY, OSH, Miss be sellers, they will be near locks for 7-9.
For now at least, I will stand by my statement that ‘the east has a slightly tougher schedule’ than the central.
Agreed on the Petes. My point was more so that they play the Petes and 67s 24 times and by contrast play mississauga the same amount as they play Hamilton (8). So, I'm just not sure the schedule will make much difference there. But, I do agree with you that they will lose a few around the WJC time. I'm quite interested to see how the 67s do as I see them a tier below Oshawa. They lost their top 8 players on a team that was very top heavy. Their top returning forward only got 22 points two years ago. Offensively I think they will really struggle to score and I expect them to bottom once they trade cranley at the deadline...which may not be a bad thing for them long term. The lack of a high pick the last two seasons doesn't help either. But they have some higher picks from a couple of years ago who could surprise.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Agreed on the Petes. My point was more so that they play the Petes and 67s 24 times and by contrast play mississauga the same amount as they play Hamilton (8). So, I'm just not sure the schedule will make much difference there. But, I do agree with you that they will lose a few around the WJC time. I'm quite interested to see how the 67s do as I see them a tier below Oshawa. They lost their top 8 players on a team that was very top heavy. Their top returning forward only got 22 points two years ago. Offensively I think they will really struggle to score and I expect them to bottom once they trade cranley at the deadline...which may not be a bad thing for them long term. The lack of a high pick the last two seasons doesn't help either. But they have some higher picks from a couple of years ago who could surprise.
Cranley was the guy I guessed would end up in Barrie

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Cranley was the guy I guessed would end up in Barrie

If the ‘67s are considering trading Cranley, they must have goalies & OAs in mind for next season; who would be that goalie & the OA options be that make the team better? Saginaw almost certainly in re-build mode, and even NB with DiVincentiis (outstanding in 2/3 U17 appearances) seem better bets to trade top 19 yr old goalies

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
If the ‘67s are considering trading Cranley, they must have goalies & OAs in mind for next season; who would be that goalie & the OA options be that make the team better? Saginaw almost certainly in re-build mode, and even NB with DiVincentiis (outstanding in 2/3 U17 appearances) seem better bets to trade top 19 yr old goalies
If they end up having one of the best goalies in the league, which they likely do, and can get an overpay for him and pick up a high draft pick for the coming years (in dropping a few spots) there isn't much point in holding onto him in a rebuilding year. They took their shot in back to back years and need to reload. They can always pick up a goalie on the cheap for this year. He likely won't be there next year anyways.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If they end up having one of the best goalies in the league, which they likely do, and can get an overpay for him and pick up a high draft pick for the coming years (in dropping a few spots) there isn't much point in holding onto him in a rebuilding year. They took their shot in back to back years and need to reload. They can always pick up a goalie on the cheap for this year. He likely won't be there next year anyways.

it’s sound logic; the ‘67s are short picks in 2023, I believe. I’m just not sure it’s entirely accutate. Ottawa had two excellent years built almost entirely through the draft with a windfall of picks obtained in two selling years. Their main additions for the run was two OAs obtained with extra picks not by giving any young players. The ‘67s have used among the most, if not the most 1-4 picks for their own team in the conference since 2016. So while I can see a player traded for 2023 pick(s), I’m not convinced Ottawa is any real need of re-tooling; and unless they are convinced Cranley won’t be back for an OA season, I don’t think it’s Cranley they trade.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

If they're trading Cranley, it means they're not good and they're selling, so they're not trying to make the team better. So if that's the case, who cares who the goalie is. Maximize the return for Cranley and run with whatever goalie looks best in camp, or get a cheap OA goalie ala Erie getting Cole Ceci last OHL season

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If they're trading Cranley, it means they're not good and they're selling, so they're not trying to make the team better. So if that's the case, who cares who the goalie is. Maximize the return for Cranley and run with whatever goalie looks best in camp, or get a cheap OA goalie ala Erie getting Cole Ceci last OHL season

The ‘67s 2003 born make me think that they can be serious contenders next season, so they need Cranley as an OA unless they already have another G in place.
The ‘67s are not pick poor; they can flip extra 2022 - 2nd & 4th to cover 2023 missing picks. They might have 2-1sts next draft. Having just drafted 6 F in 4 rounds presents another bit of excess

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The ‘67s 2003 born make me think that they can be serious contenders next season, so they need Cranley as an OA unless they already have another G in place.
The ‘67s are not pick poor; they can flip extra 2022 - 2nd & 4th to cover 2023 missing picks. They might have 2-1sts next draft. Having just drafted 6 F in 4 rounds presents another bit of excess
Letting an NHL drafted goalie age out off your roster and get nothing for him in a year where you don’t have a chance to win would be a mistake IMO. Assuming he has a good season, you’d assume STL will be signing Cranley, in which case he won’t be playing an OA season. If ottawa keeps him then they’re banking on him not having a very good season and STL not wanting to sign him, which would be a weird gamble to take if you ask me. But regardless, enough 67s talk lol Gens camp starts in 2 days ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ottsabrefan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Letting an NHL drafted goalie age out off your roster and get nothing for him in a year where you don’t have a chance to win would be a mistake IMO. Assuming he has a good season, you’d assume SJ will be signing Cranley, in which case he won’t be playing an OA season. If ottawa keeps him then they’re banking on him not having a very good season and SJ not wanting to sign him, which would be a weird gamble to take if you ask me. But regardless, enough 67s talk lol Gens camp starts in 2 days ;)

A weird gamble is giving up 6-2nds, 3rd, 2-4ths (none conditional) for an 18 yr old NHL 1st round pick.
OA goalies on contending teams is not a rarity; goalies just take longer to develop. Cranley has 32 career OHL games! Honestly, I just don’t understand the need for the ‘67s to trade Cranley to re-build as they have had 16 selections in the first four rounds over three drafts; but not one G.
As for Ottawa having no chance to win this year, LBH; Barrie, Hamilton, & Kingston are a clear tier above the middle teams.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
A weird gamble is giving up 6-2nds, 3rd, 2-4ths (none conditional) for an 18 yr old NHL 1st round pick.
OA goalies on contending teams is not a rarity; goalies just take longer to develop. Cranley has 32 career OHL games! Honestly, I just don’t understand the need for the ‘67s to trade Cranley to re-build as they have had 16 selections in the first four rounds over three drafts; but not one G.
As for Ottawa having no chance to win this year, LBH; Barrie, Hamilton, & Kingston are a clear tier above the middle teams.
Trying to respect the Gens board here, one last reply on the 67s for this year...I just don't think there 2002 group is strong enough and I agree they have made a ton of picks over the past few years but the quality has yet to show given limited ice time and a pandemic. And also add in they haven't had any high picks either which doesn't help. Long story short, I think they are a middle to low team depending on how these picks end up this year and as was mentioned if Cranley is a top goalie this year he may not come back next year...why not get a huge payout for him. Anyways, it'll all playout. Just happy to be able to have these discussions. Good luck to the Gens and all teams! Enjoy the season! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad