Oshawa Generals 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
first of all, by “overpay of Tomasino”, you mean not having to give up Brett Harrison in a trade..? They gave extra picks as a placeholder (which they’ll be getting back) so they could trade their 2020 first rounder (Castle) instead so they could keep Harrison because they loved him. Sure it didn’t end up working out because of a global pandemic but I don’t think you can blame an OHL GM for not seeing a global tragedy coming lol… Most Team Canada WJ players go for around 1st rounder, 3 2nds, 3rds for half a season of them. Tomasino was for 1.5 years so his price would be just over that and that's what the final deal will end up once Castle goes to NIA for picks. And the Gens managed to keep Brett Harrison in that. Barring a global pandemic that we've never seen before, I'm super happy with that trade lol, especially considering Tomasio for sure would've been one of the top players in the CHL and the Gens had a 50% chance to host the Memorial Cup .

And secondly, the leagues not going to investigate anything. A deal like this happened not too long ago with Bracco going to WSR, then Logan Stanley going the other way to KIT the following off-season for less than he would’ve gone for if it wasn’t a 2 part trade

first of all, I replied to a post that termed the Tomasino trade an overpay and suggested compensation for loss of a season. All your coulda, woulda, shoulda is irrelevant, ‘lol’
Second, due to the referred two part deal that drew the ire of the league, the league put in place a ruling that similar assets will not be allowed to flow between teams in successive years. You don’t think an unprecedented 3 huge deals between teams in 3 seasons played won’t draw the attention of the league? ‘lol’ 4 of 6 2nds the ice dogs possess came from the Gens, and they only possess 2-3rds; so your posted 3(2nds & 3rds) and a comp 1st seems incredibly unlikely, ‘lol’

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
first of all, I replied to a post that termed the Tomasino trade and overpay and suggested compensation for loss of a season. All your coulda, woulda, shoulda is if revalue to, lol
Second, due to the referred two part deal that drew the ire of the league, the league put in place a ruling that similar assets will not be allowed to flow between teams in successive years. You don’t think an unprecedented 3 huge deals between teams in 3 seasons played won’t draw the attention of the league? lol
They’re not unprecedented, that’s my point. And when did the league announce you cant trade similar picks? Source?

I didn’t hear any sort of blowback at all from the Stanley 2nd part trade, other than from fans.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They’re not unprecedented, that’s my point. And when did the league announce you cant trade similar picks? Source?

I didn’t hear any sort of blowback at all from the Stanley 2nd part trade, other than from fans.

Its entirely possible that I have the time-line confused, and entirely possible that there can be a 13 month loop hole; but I don’t think so. I am quite certain the part II of the Bracco-Stanley trade was a hot topic and the OHL infuriated because it had no rule in place to overturn the trade. Thus, no same picks & players shall be transferred between teams in successive years. I am of the opinion that the league will not allow the pandemic to be used as a loop hole allowing Gens-Icedogs part III. And honestly, I cannot think of two teams that made huge deals in three successive seasons.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Its entirely possible that I have the time-line confused, and entirely possible that there can be a 13 month loop hole; but I don’t think so. I am quite certain the part II of the Bracco-Stanley trade was a hot topic and the OHL infuriated because it had no rule in place to overturn the trade. Thus, no same picks & players shall be transferred between teams in successive years. I am of the opinion that the league will not allow the pandemic to be used as a loop hole allowing Gens-Icedogs part III. And honestly, I cannot think of two teams that made huge deals in three successive seasons.

Again, do you have the link for the league announcing this? I would consider myself as dialled in to the OHL as any over the last 5 years and I never heard of that new rule.

I know a player can't be traded twice in the span of a short amount of time (without his sign off) but that's a school thing. I've never heard similar picks can't be traded again. It's possible I just missed the announcement, but that's why I'm asking for the source/link

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't think it's "in the rule book" but it's something the league doesn't like to see.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ohl-should-crack-down-two-part-trades/

To be clear, this is a fan article saying they "should" crack down on these trades. This is not the OHL saying we're putting a new rule in place as @dirty12 suggested. I get what you guys are saying that the league doesn't love it, but as is stated in this article, it happens a decent amount and they have never put any rules in place to stop it other than you can't trade the exact literal picks back to the same team. But you can give them other picks in the same round, or later 2nds etc.

I don't disagree they they should put rules in place to prevent this, I'm just saying they haven't done that. If the league had've stepped in and said you cant do this, then the Gens would've signed Castle as he's stated several times he would love to be in Oshawa. I'd assume there's a reason they haven't signed him, as has been rumoured by a ton of people now...

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To be clear, this is a fan article saying they "should" crack down on these trades. This is not the OHL saying we're putting a new rule in place as @dirty12 suggested. I get what you guys are saying that the league doesn't love it, but as is stated in this article, it happens a decent amount and they have never put any rules in place to stop it other than you can't trade the exact literal picks back to the same team. But you can give them other picks in the same round, or later 2nds etc.

I don't disagree they they should put rules in place to prevent this, I'm just saying they haven't done that. If the league had've stepped in and said you cant do this, then the Gens would've signed Castle as he's stated several times he would love to be in Oshawa. I'd assume there's a reason they haven't signed him, as has been rumoured by a ton of people now...

As I had stated, it was entirely possible that I had confused the time-line of the rule involving similar picks flowing through teams in successive years (13 months); and I did confuse the time-line. Still, the point was that it is very unlikely for Gens-Icedogs part III as you stated [3-2nds & 3-3rds plus a comp 1st] to happen without attention from the league. 13 months rule cannot have elapsed for the picks sent to Niagara by Oshawa, yet in the same time not have elapsed for comp pick, can it?

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
As I had stated, it was entirely possible that I had confused the time-line of the rule involving similar picks flowing through teams in successive years (13 months); and I did confuse the time-line. Still, the point was that it is very unlikely for Gens-Icedogs part III as you stated [3-2nds & 3-3rds plus a comp 1st] to happen without attention from the league. 13 months rule cannot have elapsed for the picks sent to Niagara by Oshawa, yet in the same time not have elapsed for comp pick, can it?

I did not say it'll be 3 2nds and 3 3rds for Castle. I said in the end, the total trade (part 1 and 2) will end up something like Tomasino for Castle+4 2nds+some 3rds.

Also, I'm not sure why you're saying part 3. There is no part 3. The Studnicka for Moore trade was just one trade and it was over at that. The Tomasino one has nothing to do with that. NIA paid full price for Studnicka, especially considering that year, they were the only team who gave up their 1st rounder. Obviously just 2 GMs who get along and find it easy to make a deal together

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I did not say it'll be 3 2nds and 3 3rds for Castle. I said in the end, the total trade (part 1 and 2) will end up something like Tomasino for Castle+4 2nds+some 3rds.

Also, I'm not sure why you're saying part 3. There is no part 3. The Studnicka for Moore trade was just one trade and it was over at that. The Tomasino one has nothing to do with that. NIA paid full price for Studnicka, especially considering that year, they were the only team who gave up their 1st rounder. Obviously just 2 GMs who get along and find it easy to make a deal together

Ok, something like 2-2nds, 3rd, 4th for Castle with no picks being from Oshawa; there is nothing concrete to investigate.
It seems like part III (to me) because the Studnicka and Paquette trade was not even official before it was printed that Tomasino would be headed to Oshawa the next year; and as soon as the Tomasino trade was made, you yourself speculated Niagara would send picks back to Oshawa the next year.
And perhaps this should not be said, but Burke is as good at stretching the rules to the limit as he is at team building; which I think he is pretty good.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Apparently there are several teams who's OAs don't feel like they're going to be still able to play at an OHL level after so much time off and are exploring other options (work/school). Rumours are Brewer and Fowler might fall into this category as well. Hasn't been confirmed, but I did hear that

Fowler wouldn't be the biggest deal as you could just replace him with Stepien, they're similar type players. But losing Brewer would be a big loss

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Apparently there are several teams who's OAs don't feel like they're going to be still able to play at an OHL level after so much time off and are exploring other options (work/school). Rumours are Brewer and Fowler might fall into this category as well. Hasn't been confirmed, but I did hear that

Fowler wouldn't be the biggest deal as you could just replace him with Stepien, they're similar type players. But losing Brewer would be a big loss
That would explain the lack of moves, not just in Oshawa but across the league. There's a handful of teams with several too many OAs and some with none at all. Guess they need to see who still wants to play and who still can play at this level.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That would explain the lack of moves, not just in Oshawa but across the league. There's a handful of teams with several too many OAs and some with none at all. Guess they need to see who still wants to play and who still can play at this level.
Yeah when I was told that it makes sense. If you're a 2001 or 2002 who didn't get drafted and don't really have pro aspirations, I could see why it would be very difficult to stay motivated and if you just took 1.5 years off, I can see going to school or not feeling like you can compete at a major junior level

FWIW I've heard Brewer was offered a job he felt like he can't turn down and Fowler is planning on going to Queen's. Neither have been confirmed but it's from someone who I trust their info

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Assuming the Brewer/Fowler info was legit, the roster is looking something like this right now based on who's signed:

F Lines:
?-Harrison-Tullio
Niedenz-Ritchie-Stepien(OA)
McKinney-Gagnier-Buckley
Way-Michaud-?
Others: Richard, Castle, Whitton, McSorley(OA)

D Pairings:
Jesus-?
Moore-?
?-Pitt
Others: Parfenyuk, Smith

G:
Paputsakis(OA)
Leaver/Sbrocca

I think there's a decent chance they start with McSorley as the 3rd OA with Stepien and Paputsakis, especially because of how young the league is going to be and he will be an absolutely physical force, but if the team is going to be any good, they're going to have to upgrade there.
Some potential OA options could be:
-Matt Hill or Nathan Allensen (BAR)
-Lucas Peric or Evan Brand (KGN)
-Andrew Perrott, Mark Woolley or Igor Chibrikov (OS)

As all of those teams have too many OA's right now

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
:laugh:
do you not remember who correctly proclaimed the coaching staff a month ago.

it was a non health related issue, that’s all.
Yeah OHLInsiders had the Gens coaching staff first a month ago, so credit to him, he’s really good at what he does. He DMd me on Twitter a week to 10 days before you posted anything on here and he had 3/4 of them, just didn’t know Mike Hedden yet.

But to be clear, you came on here just to say “I know what’s going on but won’t tell anyone”?

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
:laugh:
Yeah OHLInsiders had the Gens coaching staff first a month ago, so credit to him, he’s really good at what he does. He DMd me on Twitter a week to 10 days before you posted anything on here and he had 3/4 of them, just didn’t know Mike Hedden yet.

But to be clear, you came on here just to say “I know what’s going on but won’t tell anyone”?

incorrect but it’s ok. he never posted anything about it until the day before. you still thought it was wellwood and savard when I was suggesting it was a three graded group. they did offer co-coaches to wellwood, he just turned it down

it’s ok when your not always on top of everything, i promise.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Mitchell Brewer and Kevin Niedenz have been added to the Gens pre season roster. I know Roger was still talking to Brewer ongoing about him playing this year so maybe he’s back in. That would be nice as your OAs could be Paputsakis, Brewer and Stepien who are all good OA’s.

Reactions: Whatanathol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese