Oshawa Generals 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
That's not great production for a 16th overall OHL pick. I mean, the year before Giovanni Vallati was picked 16th overall and has scored 2 career playoff goals.

so you’re saying Gio was twice the player Nick Robertson was in their OHL careers..... :laugh:

Without having done any actual research to look into it, Nick Robertson has to be one of the best OHL players ever who played 3+ seasons and only scored 1 playoff goal, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyPops

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens Alumni Bill Armstrong named the GM of the Arizona Coyotes. He and Cirelli own the 2 biggest goals in Gens history

Reactions: Nerf27

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Anthony Cirell is unbelievable

Not drafted twice to the OHL. Scores both in a 2-1 Mem Cup winning OT game. Scores in OT to send Erie to the Mem Cup. Scores in OT to send Tampa to the Stanley Cup

God bless Joe Washkurak

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Anthony Cirell is unbelievable

Not drafted twice to the OHL. Scores both in a 2-1 Mem Cup winning OT game. Scores in OT to send Erie to the Mem Cup. Scores in OT to send Tampa to the Stanley Cup

God bless Joe Washkurak

Basically in the same spot as his Oshawa goal too. Cirelli at the side of the net in OT is not something you want to see as an opposing team.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Does anyone know why General's 1st rd pick Castles hasn't signed yet. I know there is time prior to the season (if there is a season) to sign, but what's the hold up. Is it he might be traded and let the team that he is traded to work out a signing deal with him :popcorn:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Does anyone know why General's 1st rd pick Castles hasn't signed yet. I know there is time prior to the season (if there is a season) to sign, but what's the hold up. Is it he might be traded and let the team that he is traded to work out a signing deal with him :popcorn:

gens usually wait till the guys in Oshawa for camp to sign rookies. He’s not an NCAA guy so that’s not why he’s not signed

there were rumours he would go to NIA for picks as part 2 of the Tomasino trade so that could be true. Or that could be like 95% of the hfboards “rumours” and be completely made up lol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
As an aside though, I'm very worried about the OHL season. Ottawa and Toronto are in very bad shape for covid right now and Toronto is going backwards in terms of stage 2/3 and how many people are allowed together at once. I don't see how an OHL season with any number of fans happens a month and a half from now

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Mitch Brown's final draft rankings today had Tullio at 43, Moore at 80, McShane at 81.

So sounds like 5 Gens will be getting drafted (Tullio, Moore, McShane, Suni and Fowler) and then an outside chance at Jesus if there's a team that is very high on him

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Mitch Brown's final draft rankings today had Tullio at 43, Moore at 80, McShane at 81.

So sounds like 5 Gens will be getting drafted (Tullio, Moore, McShane, Suni and Fowler) and then an outside chance at Jesus if there's a team that is very high on him

Who is Mitch Brown?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
re: Tomasino

NSH fans didn't seem to think they'd be brining back Turris, Smith, Grandlund or Trenin but they have resigned Trenin and it's to a one-way deal so there's another Nashville forward spot taken

Nashville Predators sign F Yakov Trenin to two-year deal - TSN.ca

By my count that's 11 Preds forwards who are coming back next year and expected to be in the NHL full time

Johansen
Duchene
Forsberg
Arvidsson
Bonino
Sissons
Grimaldi
Jarnkrok
Watson
Trenin
Tolvanen

Other forwards signed for 2020-2021:
Michael McCarron, Rem Pitlik, Anthony Richard Lukas Craggs, Patrick Harper, Josh Wilkins, Phil Tomasino, Thomas Novak, Cole Smith, Zach Magwood, Matheiu Olivier (and then Colin Blackwell and Frederik Gaudreau are free agents who could also get resigned in the next couple weeks)

So even before free agency/trades start, Nashville is very close to a full 12-man forward group. As if said a lot of times before, I like Tomasino's chances to come back (if there is an OHL season)

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
re: Tomasino

NSH fans didn't seem to think they'd be brining back Turris, Smith, Grandlund or Trenin but they have resigned Trenin and it's to a one-way deal so there's another Nashville forward spot taken

Nashville Predators sign F Yakov Trenin to two-year deal - TSN.ca

By my count that's 11 Preds forwards who are coming back next year and expected to be in the NHL full time

Johansen
Duchene
Forsberg
Arvidsson
Bonino
Sissons
Grimaldi
Jarnkrok
Watson
Trenin
Tolvanen

Other forwards signed for 2020-2021:
Michael McCarron, Rem Pitlik, Anthony Richard Lukas Craggs, Patrick Harper, Josh Wilkins, Phil Tomasino, Thomas Novak, Cole Smith, Zach Magwood, Matheiu Olivier (and then Colin Blackwell and Frederik Gaudreau are free agents who could also get resigned in the next couple weeks)

So even before free agency/trades start, Nashville is very close to a full 12-man forward group. As if said a lot of times before, I like Tomasino's chances to come back (if there is an OHL season)
No offense but that is the most uninspiring list of possible forwards to fill in the void in Nashville (minus Tomasino)

It is filled with mid/late round picks who are either career AHL guys or who haven’t even started in pro and are likely to start in the AHL. The only one with any real experience is McCarron who is not a full-time NHL player and is another career AHL guy.

Yes, trades/free agents can still be acquired by Nashville but they can also ship guys out to dump salary or for roster turnover

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
No offense but that is the most uninspiring list of possible forwards to fill in the void in Nashville (minus Tomasino)

It is filled with mid/late round picks who are either career AHL guys or who haven’t even started in pro and are likely to start in the AHL. The only one with any real experience is McCarron who is not a full-time NHL player and is another career AHL guy.

Yes, trades/free agents can still be acquired by Nashville but they can also ship guys out to dump salary or for roster turnover
You're right about that, but a lot of the guys listed in those 11 already signed F's are top 6 guys so based on how that roster looks now (even before FA and trades), it would seemingly be a 4th line type player and PK guy their looking for to fit that extra void (which Tomasino is not), which would make sense to be a Michael McCarron type guy.

But then again, they could resign Smith or Blackwell or go sign another FA for all we know. But the fact that they already have 11/12 F spots seemingly filled lends well to Tomasino going back IMO.

Although I will say if Tomasino doesn't play an OHL game next season, I think its more likely that it's because there was no OHL season then because they kept in in NSH. The season has to be in serious jeopardy right now with how high the numbers are getting in Ottawa and around Toronto

Reactions: NOA

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
You're right about that, but a lot of the guys listed in those 11 already signed F's are top 6 guys so based on how that roster looks now (even before FA and trades), it would seemingly be a 4th line type player and PK guy their looking for to fit that extra void (which Tomasino is not), which would make sense to be a Michael McCarron type guy.

But then again, they could resign Smith or Blackwell or go sign another FA for all we know. But the fact that they already have 11/12 F spots seemingly filled lends well to Tomasino going back IMO.

Although I will say if Tomasino doesn't play an OHL game next season, I think its more likely that it's because there was no OHL season then because they kept in in NSH. The season has to be in serious jeopardy right now with how high the numbers are getting in Ottawa and around Toronto

Right now the Preds roster looks like this with both Granlund and Smith going to FA:

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
XX - Duchene - XX
Grimaldi - Bonino - XX
Jarnkrok - Sissons - Watson

Trenin and Turris will almost certainly take two of those spots. That third spot is where Tomasino might end up, but there will be competition from other prospects (Rem Pitlick, Eeli Tolvanen) and we might very well trade or sign a forward.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Right now the Preds roster looks like this with both Granlund and Smith going to FA:

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
XX - Duchene - XX
Grimaldi - Bonino - XX
Jarnkrok - Sissons - Watson

Trenin and Turris will almost certainly take two of those spots. That third spot is where Tomasino might end up, but there will be competition from other prospects (Rem Pitlick, Eeli Tolvanen) and we might very well trade or sign a forward.

Also seen some Jack Quinn, Anton Lundell, Dawson Mercer, Rodion Amirov, Dylan Holloway projections to NSH at 11 in the draft. Those guys are all only 2-3 months younger than Tomasino (all are 2001 born)

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, those are all their top prospects. Trenin is guaranteed to be on the lineup now, he signed to a 1-way deal

It should be noted that Yakov Trenin played almost exclusively at right wing for Nashville, whereas Tomasino is likely to play at centre if he makes the team. I don't think they are in direct competition.

I think Tomasino gets a spot if he shows he deserves it. They aren't going to make a decision based on the presence of a minimum salary bottom 6 guy or a washed up veteran like Turris. It's a coin flip from what I see.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It should be noted that Yakov Trenin played almost exclusively at right wing for Nashville, whereas Tomasino is likely to play at centre if he makes the team. I don't think they are in direct competition.

I think Tomasino gets a spot if he shows he deserves it. They aren't going to make a decision based on the presence of a minimum salary bottom 6 guy or a washed up veteran like Turris. It's a coin flip from what I see.

Also should be noted that the only centre spot open is the 4th line as Johansen, Duchene and Bonino are 1C/2C/3C (and the Nashville fan above has Sissons as their 4C) . If Tomasino makes the team it’d likely be as the 2nd or 3rd line winger. So he is competing with Trenin. Tomasino isn’t playing 4C. Which is another reason I think he’s back. You don’t want your top prospect becoming a winger just to fit your lineup. Let him play 22+ minutes a night in Jr playing 1st line, PP and PK and let him play a big role in the world juniors, which he’s never even got a sniff at before

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
When will they announce the host of the Memorial Cup?

they haven’t even presented the bids yet. Not sure what’s taking so long

Both teams requested an in person presentation but they’ve been told that it’ll be done virtually over zoom

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Not sure when the bid presentations will be, but I don't suspect we would hear a host named until after we see schedules released for the OHL & WHL. Until all 3 leagues have taken tangible steps towards actually having a season, I don't see a host being named.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Not sure when the bid presentations will be, but I don't suspect we would hear a host named until after we see schedules released for the OHL & WHL. Until all 3 leagues have taken tangible steps towards actually having a season, I don't see a host being named.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t name a host. Naming a host doesn’t mean the season is guaranteed to happen. But allows that host city to start to plan if there is a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad