Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Sep 20, 2019
When Resnick became a coach I wondered the same thing. Could he be back if something happens with Walker? However I would expect Hunt will try to pick up an overager if Walker is done, like he did last year with Saigeon and Salinitri, depending of course on what other trades he makes.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Nerf and I were unceremoniously kicked off this thread for a week so we were sending our picks for the 3 games to each other on DM. I actually nailed the PBO game perfectly but got the OTT game wrong

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.42.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.42.23 PM.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.42.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.42.32 PM.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.42.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 3.42.59 PM.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 3

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
So updated Gens HFBoards Standings going into Chritmas:
Last Game Calculated: Dec 20 vs OTT

GeneralsUpdates: 27
GensFan2k2: 23
Nerf27: 22
GeneralConversation: 22
GenerallyAllBusiness: 21
Chipmunk: 21
ThreeDogNight: 19
Hush10: 17
TommyV27: 17
AWagner3018: 14
WhatAnAthol: 13
TuckerFan1: 11
Reeno: 9
ViewFromSection9: 7
Freedom880: 3
OshawaFan2018: 1
Dirty12: 1
Neilli27: 0

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Well let's see if this prevails :sarcasm:

OHL Prospects: 2020 OHL Trade Deadline Preview
Serron Noel - Oshawa Generals
No question, Noel has not had the kind of season that many figured he would. After a very strong performance at the World Junior Summer Showcase, it was expected that Noel would be one of the very best players in the OHL this year and a near lock for the WJC team. But because of his indifferent play, he was left off the WJC camp roster entirely. However, since returning from an upper body injury, Noel has looked like a different player; the physically dominating force in all three zones that many expected he would be. And if he plays like that, he would be a huge upgrade for any team with serious playoff aspirations. Guelph, Kitchener, London, Owen Sound, Saginaw, Ottawa, and Peterborough are all teams that I expect to be in on Noel. Of course, it is also worth explaining why the competitive Generals would look to move Noel in the first place. It's no secret that the Generals intend to bid for the 2021 Memorial Cup. The moves they made last year were about positioning them for that and I expect Oshawa to continue that trend this year. Noel will be in the AHL next year and it would be smart of the Generals to capitalize on that. So who wins the prize? I see the London Knights being the front runner here. I think they badly need an injection of size and physicality to their top 6 and Noel can do that. In this predicted London blockbuster, the Generals take a mild step back this year but get Dunkley, who could be a quality OA player next year and Guskov, who could be a quality Import next year.
Prediction: Noel goes to London (with Nico Gross) in exchange for Nathan Dunkley, Matvey Guskov, Sahil Panwar, KGN 2 2020, HAM 2 2021, HAM 3 2022, LDN 2 2025

Nico Gross - Oshawa Generals
As you can see above, I have Gross moving to the London Knights. It may be a bit of a shocker to see London swap out one of their Import players, but under the Hunters, no stone is left unturned. Guskov is a solid player, but Nico Gross gives London more size and physicality on the back-end, something that they badly need to help out a younger and inexperienced blueline. Gross has taken nice steps forward this year and could flourish under Dale Hunter. Again, the Generals are moving Gross because he is unlikely to return as an OA next year, either because he signs with the New York Rangers, or heads back to Switzerland to play pro. Oshawa would be smart to capitalize on his strong play by dealing him for someone (in this case Guskov) who can really help the team next year.
Prediction: Gross goes to London (with Serron Noel) in exchange for Nathan Dunkley, Matvey Guskov, Sahil Panwar, KGN 2 2020, HAM 2 2021, HAM 3 2022, LDN 2 2025

Brett Neumann - Oshawa Generals
No question, Neumann is one of the top OA's in the OHL this year. His combination of speed and goal scoring ability will be coveted. But there just aren't many teams out there who have the OA room. Yes, Neumann would be an upgrade, but at what cost (in terms of trade value and in terms of a team having to take the risk in changing up the leadership group in the room)? I see Neumann staying put in Oshawa to help them move past the second round again.
Prediction: Neumann stays in Oshawa.

Kyle MacLean - Oshawa Generals
What I said for Neumann goes for MacLean too. The Generals captain, I just don't see being moved. He has way more value to Oshawa than he does to another team. He's a strong two-way presence and a battle tested playoff performer, but is he an offensive upgrade for many of the teams out there looking to swap out an OA? I'm just not sure. Again, Oshawa will be smart about their little retool towards next year.
Prediction: MacLean stays in Oshawa.

Allan McShane - Oshawa Generals
The center market is not very strong in the OHL this year. There just aren't very many up for trade, yet we have some teams (like Saginaw, Flint, Ottawa, Sudbury, London) who could be looking to upgrade down the middle. Having a strong season, there is no question that McShane could bring back a nice return. Here's the thing though; I don't think McShane is a lock to sign with Montreal. And I think Oshawa views this similarly. That means that there is a shot he returns as an OA next year, where he would be one of the top OA's in the OHL and a big piece of a potential Memorial Cup winning squad. With that in mind, I just don't see the Generals moving McShane.
Prediction: McShane stays in Oshawa.

Giovanni Vallati - Oshawa Generals
Rinse, repeat what was said about McShane. Vallati is a fine OHL defender. His offensive production hasn't been quite as good this year, but he's a top OHL blueliner. That said, he's no lock to sign with the Winnipeg Jets and as such, could be an impact OA for next year. Even though I expect the market to be quite strong for his services, I think the Generals roll the dice and assume that he returns next year.
Prediction: Vallati stays in Oshawa.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Guskov, Panwar, Dunkley, 3 2nds and a 3rd would be quite the return

If Antropov isn’t good enough to be an OA next year though, I don’t think Dunkley is either

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I agree. Dunkley has been a disappointment this year and I don't know why they would want Panwar. What's he got...one assist so far this year? London has a history of over inflating their players values who seldom get past their 3rd and 4th lines. The Hunters are very shrewd traders and they have snookered the Gens before. Forget the 3 names suggested and insist on one of Evangelista or Stranges instead and take lesser draft picks. The Gens do not need picks that desperately.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I agree. Dunkley has been a disappointment this year and I don't know why they would want Panwar. What's he got...one assist so far this year? London has a history of over inflating their players values who seldom get past their 3rd and 4th lines. The Hunters are very shrewd traders and they have snookered the Gens before. Forget the 3 names suggested and insist on one of Evangelista or Stranges instead and take lesser draft picks. The Gens do not need picks that desperately.

you’re not getting stranges or evangelista. I don’t mind that proposed trade because you’d be getting 4 high picks and then you give Panwar/Dunkley the rest of the season to show they should be on the team next year. If they don’t then you replace them with all the picks you have

I’d prefer to keep gross and only get picks for Noel though. Gross is a huge part of this team

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Lol okay that is as likley to happen as Tullio for Tymkin lol

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
You are saying Tullio for Tymkin is akin to Evangelista for Noel! Are you for real? Tullio is superior to Evangelista so you are saying Noel is not equivalent value to Tymkin in value? Give your head a shake!

Reactions: WKBCFAN

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Is this prediction enough for Noel & Gross ?if it's the players in return offered by London No, but I think it's the draft picks that makes it look interesting, for future trades. What's your thoughts.
Prediction: Noel goes to London (with Nico Gross) in exchange for Nathan Dunkley, Matvey Guskov, Sahil Panwar, KGN 2 2020, HAM 2 2021, HAM 3 2022, LDN 2 2025

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Is this prediction enough for Noel & Gross ?if it's the players in return offered by London No, but I think it's the draft picks that makes it look interesting, for future trades. What's your thoughts.
good to have fun with but he is guessing like the rest of us

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

I wouldn’t trade Gross. Hunt has himself in a great position with a million picks already and gross is a top 5 Dman in the Eastern a Conference. I think the value of keeping him and making it easier for Paputsakis/MacLean and winning a playoff series is higher than trading him. I’d be fine trading Noel for just picks then using those picks to go get someone like Vierling

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Not saying this is happening just rumored but if Gross goes to London Harley could be the replacement,
OHLinsider rumored that
#OHL Late night rumours flying around!
Strong sense the Mississauga Steelheads are willing to move #GoStars Prospect Thomas Harley. Think the Oshawa Generals are showing interest.
Things heating up!
#OHLTradeDeadline

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not saying this is happening just rumored but if Gross goes to London Harley could be the replacement,
OHLinsider rumored that
Strong sense the Mississauga Steelheads are willing to move #GoStars Prospect Thomas Harley. Think the Oshawa Generals are showing interest.
Things heating up!
#OHLTradeDeadline

If the Generals are showing interest, there must be a strong sense he won't make the jump early to the NHL next year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
OHLinsider rumored that
Things heating up!
#OHLTradeDeadline

The package would be similar to Robert Thomas' I would imagine. Thomas got Connor McMichael, a 2nd and then 3 conditional 2nd's and a conditional 3rd which I believe was partially tied to how well Hamilton did that year and partially tied to whether he returned for the next year (he did not).

Therefore, I would imagine the price would therefore be Harrison, a 2nd and then a similar package of picks tied to Harley returning next year.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Just wondering what the General's have to give up hope not Harrison

OHLinsider update:
Talk of #GoStars top prospect Thomas Harley potentially moving to the Oshawa #Generals is progressing. Definite conversations taking place between the Generals and Harley's Mississauga #Steelheads.
Oshawa wants a poster boy for their February Mem Cup bid.
#OHL #OHLTradeDeadline

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If the Generals are showing interest, there must be a strong sense he won't make the jump early to the NHL next year.

Dallas top 4 next year already has Klingberg, Heiskainen, Lindell, Oleksiak.

And Klingberg/Heiskainen/Lindell get all their PP time and will all be back. Can’t see Harley making that team as a 19 year old and playing bottom pair without PP time

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If a Harley deal can be done without giving up Harrison I’d do it in a second no matter what picks it costs. He’s already the best offensive Dman in the league and he’ll be back next year. If it does cost Harrison, they must be extremely confident they’re going to win the bid, or even if they lose the bid, they’d be going all in next year anyways

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If a Harley deal can be done without giving up Harrison I’d do it in a second no matter what picks it costs. He’s already the best offensive Dman in the league and he’ll be back next year. If it does cost Harrison, they must be extremely confident they’re going to win the bid, or even if they lose the bid, they’d be going all in next year anyways

I don't think the bid is meaningful to this move. This would be a pure hockey move.

1 - this inproves their team this season.
2 - it strengthens their team next year when they really want to make a push.

Both of those have the added benefit of improving their bid but only because it would be a solid hockey trade that benefits them now and next season.

This is the same reason why if they were able to pay a bit more to acquire Tommassino now, they'd do that too.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I don't think the bid is meaningful to this move. This would be a pure hockey move.

1 - this inproves their team this season.
2 - it strengthens their team next year when they really want to make a push.

Both of those have the added benefit of improving their bid but only because it would be a solid hockey trade that benefits them now and next season.

This is the same reason why if they were able to pay a bit more to acquire Tommassino now, they'd do that too.

fair, but getting him just means you’re limiting your window to win to next season. If you don’t win the bid, maybe your best team to build around wouldve be in 2 years when Tullio/Moore/Suni are 19 and Paputsakis is an OA goalie. But if you do this move then you’re going all in no matter what next year (which I’m fine with). And it gives you a face to your Mem Cup bid, which does matter

Reactions: OHLInsiders

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I also, would like Harley but can't see the need. The Gens defence would appear to be reasonably strong without Harley. The forward group has little down the middle so losing Harrison would leave only McShane at that position unless they move Tullio to centre. I think their real need is Tomasino!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
fair, but getting him just means you’re limiting your window to win to next season. If you don’t win the bid, maybe your best team to build around wouldve be in 2 years when Tullio/Moore/Suni are 19 and Paputsakis is an OA goalie. But if you do this move then you’re going all in no matter what next year (which I’m fine with). And it gives you a face to your Mem Cup bid, which does matter

Personally, I feel the management of any team needs to first decide when their best window is. I believe last year’s trades make that window next season. Maybe they are forcing the issue a little bit because of the Memorial Cup Host bidding process but the reality is it seems they are committed to next year. I think there are more birds in hand right now so less room for error than there is looking 2 years ahead and trying to predict progress for Junior Hockey players.

IT is cool to Host the Memorial Cup but the goal must be to win it (and the league Championship); therefore, the management should be making moves to further the goal of winning the Championship. The more moves they make to further their chances, the better they look in the eyes of the Bid Committee. I know it is one hand feeding the other but the first priority is to be a great team. You need that before you can even be a contender to host.

If Oshawa were to acquire Harley, it helps their chances this year of remaining competitive while also adding a piece next season that will really propel them forward and help solidify their legitimacy as a Championship contender.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Personally, I feel the management of any team needs to first decide when their best window is. I believe last year’s trades make that window next season. Maybe they are forcing the issue a little bit because of the Memorial Cup Host bidding process but the reality is it seems they are committed to next year. I think there are more birds in hand right now so less room for error than there is looking 2 years ahead and trying to predict progress for Junior Hockey players.

IT is cool to Host the Memorial Cup but the goal must be to win it (and the league Championship); therefore, the management should be making moves to further the goal of winning the Championship. The more moves they make to further their chances, the better they look in the eyes of the Bid Committee. I know it is one hand feeding the other but the first priority is to be a great team. You need that before you can even be a contender to host.

If Oshawa were to acquire Harley, it helps their chances this year of remaining competitive while also adding a piece next season that will really propel them forward and help solidify their legitimacy as a Championship contender.

What about last year trades made the window next season? Obviously the bid is why, but let's say they lose the bid (because if they win the bid then you go all-in next year and there are no questions to be asked). But okay in this hypothetical they just lost the bid for next year.

They traded Studnicka/Brassard for Moore so if anything wouldn't it make more sense if they lose the bid to wait and see how the start is next year and if they don't get off to a great start and/or McShane/Vallati don't get sent back as OAs then you build around the Suni/Tullio/Moore as elite 19 year olds and Paputsakis as an Elite OA goalie team in 2 years? Usually when you trade your Team Canada stud for an elite rookie, you end up building around when that elite rookie is 19, so the trades last year probably make more sense to go for it in 2 years (if they don't win the bid)

Hunt has just played this very well because really any year he can turn the team into a title contender with so many picks that he has stockpiled. But because of that, there's no need to do what KIT did this year and say okay this is going to be our year and then you get off to a brutal start and are like oh wait, maybe we should've waited a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad