Prospect Info: Oscar Möller opening some eyes?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I remember one year in the world juniors the captains of both teams in the gold medal game were Kings draft picks. Moller was one, hickey was the other.
Maybe the Islanders will claim him off of waivers at some point

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Dean Lombardi relayed an interesting story about that portion of the Draft. The Kings had Simmonds ranked higher than Moller, but were surprised that Moller was still available at #52. Most had Moller ranked higher; TSN had him #29 on their list while ISS had him #25.

So there was a debate at the table about whether to deviate from the list and take Moller at #52 and then Simmonds at #61. The thought was that Simmonds, undrafted the previous year, was an off the board selection and would be there later while Moller wasn't going to slide further. Some at the table (including Dean himself?) didn't want to chance it and wanted to take Simmonds at #52. But in the end they rolled the dice and got both.

Even if it's not with the Kings, Moller's progress could at least make him an NHL asset to somebody in a trade.

I like stories like these.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
No one expected Moller to make the team the year he did. But he was a STANDOUT at rookie camp as well as training camp. He outplayed a grip load of prospects ahead of him on the depth chart and he earned that spot on the team. In hindsight may have not been the best for his development but it is what it is.. and his size and board battle play ended up being his achilles heel.

I still remember him being a very skilled and creative player with pretty good vision. Always liked the kid.. hope he continues to improve.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No one expected Moller to make the team the year he did. But he was a STANDOUT at rookie camp as well as training camp. He outplayed a grip load of prospects ahead of him on the depth chart and he earned that spot on the team. In hindsight may have not been the best for his development but it is what it is.. and his size and board battle play ended up being his achilles heel.

I still remember him being a very skilled and creative player with pretty good vision. Always liked the kid.. hope he continues to improve.

I recall that too...and also recall that Brian Burke was jealous that the Kings got him.
He was raving about his "off the charts hockey sense"

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Brian Burke also regrets not drafting Jack Johnson instead of Bobby Ryan so what the hell does he know :laugh:

Seriously though, our team has been lacking in the adorability department ever since Loktionov got traded...

mollerny

oscar

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I recall that too...and also recall that Brian Burke was jealous that the Kings got him.
He was raving about his "off the charts hockey sense"

I don't know if this was just a rumor, but wasn't Moller rumored to be part of a deal to get Bobby Ryan from the Ducks when they had major cap problems in 2008? I know we got O'Donnell instead, but I seem to remember the Kings not wanting to trade Moller at the time.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Yes please, so I can bring my moller jersey out of retirement and my username will be relevant again!

KingKopitar11*

Bring Moller back. At least he'd be better than Bermuda

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
throw a 74 on this guy and the outcome would be about the same. King has to be one of the softest "big men" i've ever seen play the game.

g-ent-111006-ghostbusters-stay-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Moller's development was botched. No idea why he was in the NHL when he still had junior eligibility.

I could see Moller coming over if there was some kind of agreement with the Kings to loan him back to Skelleftea if he didn't make the team out of camp. Moller turns 26 during next season, don't see him wanting to ride buses in the AHL at that stage of his career.

KingKopitar11*

You can tell with Moller that he didn't really understand the north American game, but he had the talent.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
throw a 74 on this guy and the outcome would be about the same. King has to be one of the softest "big men" i've ever seen play the game.

g-ent-111006-ghostbusters-stay-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

Exactly this. I thought we should've cashed in on King before this season started and got a more mobile defenseman for him when we could've. I guess he still has some value after his decent season but he's totally MIA in these playoffs.

The sooner he's gone the better.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Are we back to bashing King again? :laugh:

Maybe he just doesn't mesh very well with Stoll. King has played well, playing alongside Kopi and Richards, most of the season.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about King. The kid is probably the biggest and the strongest forward that we have on the team, but he plays a very soft game. Instead of running someone over, he tries to avoid contact and always put on his brakes. Yeah, he can drop gloves now and then, but he just doesn't have the kind of fire I'm looking for in a player. Having said that, he is a pretty good defensive forward and he is a big body with decent hands.

For now, I'm ok with him as our 3LW.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Kings got 15 goals out of 750k for Dwight.....Probably the best value on the entire team.

King I feel with more NHL time can pot 20 goals, and he is not going to make over 1.5 million his next contract...

You need cheap and productive players like Dwight King....

It's the Clifford's of the roster you folks need to be harping about.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Kings got 15 goals out of 750k for Dwight.....Probably the best value on the entire team.

King I feel with more NHL time can pot 20 goals, and he is not going to make over 1.5 million his next contract...

You need cheap and productive players like Dwight King....

It's the Clifford's of the roster you folks need to be harping about.

My problem with Dwight isn't so much his numbers but his lack of physicality. He should be a force along the boards and a presence in front of the net, but he's been quiet in those areas.

I'm fine with 10-15 goals from King so long as he's physically noticeable as a checking line winger.

KingKopitar11*

My problem with Dwight isn't so much his numbers but his lack of physicality. He should be a force along the boards and a presence in front of the net, but he's been quiet in those areas.

I'm fine with 10-15 goals from King so long as he's physically noticeable as a checking line winger.

I dont know how someone so big can be an absolute softy. And he doesn't even chirp. It's insane. He's not good at a lot of things that a lot of players with his size could do.

He holds the stick too tightly so he's bad at receiving passes. He doesnt even hit unless someone accidentally collides into him. Just a really weird player.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I was hoping he could be a Bryan Bickell like player, a big LW who has never hit 20 goals but he can chip in during the regular season but also make his presence felt and turns his game up a notch in the playoffs. We're still hoping to see the Dwight King who came up big during the 2012 Cup run, who was a beast along the boards and crashed the net every chance he had. I want to see that player come back.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
King and Clifford can both pound sand in the offseason as far as I'm concerned. Both can bring us back pieces we need.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
King and Clifford can both pound sand in the offseason as far as I'm concerned. Both can bring us back pieces we need.

I'd like to see the Kings get more abrasive and bring Andreoff in to replace one of those guys. He seems to be more willing to initiate contact and isn't shy from making his presence known on the ice.

As for Moller, I don't see a future for him on the Kings, same goes for Holloway. They have Pearson and Toffoli who are far better players and have made us forget about those two. And they're not good enough to play a checking role, so there really is no place for them on the Kings.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'd like to see the Kings get more abrasive and bring Andreoff in to replace one of those guys. He seems to be more willing to initiate contact and isn't shy from making his presence known on the ice.

As for Moller, I don't see a future for him on the Kings, same goes for Holloway. They have Pearson and Toffoli who are far better players and have made us forget about those two. And they're not good enough to play a checking role, so there really is no place for them on the Kings.

I don't see much of a future either, especially Holloway. I think Holloway burned his bridges two years ago when the opportunity was staring him in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad