Prospect Info: Oscar Möller opening some eyes?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
While Bud Holloway had a mediocre season by his standard in the SHL, Oscar Möller stepped up his game leading the playoff in points (14 games 18 points), being 6th in points in the regular season (48 games 45 points) and his team Skellefteå AIK winning their second consecutive championship. Now it appears the Kings are taking note, judging from the comments by Rob Blake in the article below.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/nhl-klubben-vill-ha-tre-kronor-stjarnan/

My translation so please forgive the rough edges:

"The Kings' Nordic Scouts Christian Ruuttu and Niklas Andersson have been monitoring Möller's progress in SHL and been reporting back to the brass in LA.
- We've been carefully following Oscar this season and in addition to the scouting reports we have video of Skellefteå's games to watch. We've seen he's been making great progress and would like him to come back, said Rob Blake.
The Kings will keenly be watching Oscar during the Hockey World Championships in Belarus. Once the tournament starts Rob Blake will be in Minsk as the GM of Team Canada.
- I'm looking forward to watch Möller play for Sweden. We know he's had a good season in the SHL and won the Swedish championship, said Rob."

Pretty cool. I think Oscar took another step this season for sure, whether that will be enough to make him into an NHL player I'm not sure but he's apparently moving in the right direction. Now we've seen this all play out in Bud Holloway before so I'm definitely not saying the Kings are gonna sign him, but they seem to be taking notice.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I mean he's becoming a man but Möller is always gonna be a small guy, there's no way around it. He's listed as 5'10 and 183 pounds on his club website, not sure how up to date or accurate that is but there you go, for whatever it is worth.

KingKopitar11*

Nice hopefully he can make it back. He was always talented.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like Moller, and haven't seen him pay in a while outside of highlights with Holloway and such over a year ago. Still not sure how effective he can be or how much he's changed. I find it hard to believe he'd come back though. The Kings are going to do the same with him as they did with Holloway and offer a decent small two-way contract, tell him to be in Manchester for a moment and be one of the first call-ups. If he can't handle that, which may be likely, then I'd expect him to go to free agency.

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
is there a casting call for the remake of Wizard of Oz?

LollipopGuild.jpg

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I would expect Oscar Moller to stay in his home country and continue to be a star over there.

He makes more money there as well.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I just realized that Moller was selected ahead of Simmonds. For some reason, I thought he was a late round pick, not a 2nd.

I'd take Weal over Moller.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Christian Ruutu? I remember when that guy played in the NHL. Didn't Tony Granato two hand over the head with his stick? Maybe that was another player but I remember Christian Ruutu and I think he played for the Blackhawks if i"m not mistaken. SOrry, I saw that and went off on a tangent.

Ruutu did play for the Hawks, but it was Neil Wilkinson who Granato tomahawk chopped over the head.

As for Moller, that Bobby Ryan hit on him still scars me. Poor little Oscar.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ruutu did play for the Hawks, but it was Neil Wilkinson who Granato tomahawk chopped over the head.

As for Moller, that Bobby Ryan hit on him still scars me. Poor little Oscar.

It's even worse cause, Bobby Ryan is known for being a huge loafer on the ice.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Kozun also plays a bigger game imo. There's no way Moller makes the kings roster now.

I'd agree with you guys that Weal > Moller but at this point (player vs. player) I would say that Moller > Kozun.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I just realized that Moller was selected ahead of Simmonds. For some reason, I thought he was a late round pick, not a 2nd.

I think Dean Lombardi relayed an interesting story about that portion of the Draft. The Kings had Simmonds ranked higher than Moller, but were surprised that Moller was still available at #52. Most had Moller ranked higher; TSN had him #29 on their list while ISS had him #25.

So there was a debate at the table about whether to deviate from the list and take Moller at #52 and then Simmonds at #61. The thought was that Simmonds, undrafted the previous year, was an off the board selection and would be there later while Moller wasn't going to slide further. Some at the table (including Dean himself?) didn't want to chance it and wanted to take Simmonds at #52. But in the end they rolled the dice and got both.

Even if it's not with the Kings, Moller's progress could at least make him an NHL asset to somebody in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad