Orr: My Story Book Discussion Thread

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I really want this book, I wonder if it will be at any local libraries.

most any library will go out of their way to bring in content for patrons - you've just got to ask (if they don't have it). Most have online catalogs and you can likely check to see if they have it:

http://sails.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/swansea/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f1920$002fSD_ILS:1920178/one?qu=9780399161759

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
most any library will go out of their way to bring in content for patrons - you've just got to ask (if they don't have it). Most have online catalogs and you can likely check to see if they have it:

http://sails.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/swansea/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f1920$002fSD_ILS:1920178/one?qu=9780399161759

Thanks so much, I am finding my library card information and placing it on hold right now!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm curious to read the differences between this book and the one Stephen Brunt did.

"Searching For Bobby Orr"? I knew of Bobby's reticence, which has often been portrayed as a kind of aloofness or worse. Unfortunately, Mr. Brunt's book falls into that category. I was a bit surprised & disappointed upon reading it.

If you caught the CBS Sunday Morning interview with Mo Rocca

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57607250/the-passion-of-bobby-orr/

it's evident how comfortable in his own skin Bobby has become. Maybe that wasn't always the case when dealing with sometimes agenda driven media types. After all, he's been dealing with them since the age of 14. :)

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
What does the P in PVR stand for? You Canadians and your crazy English. :naughty:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
"Searching For Bobby Orr"? I knew of Bobby's reticence, which has often been portrayed as a kind of aloofness or worse. Unfortunately, Mr. Brunt's book falls into that category. I was a bit surprised & disappointed upon reading it.

it's evident how comfortable in his own skin Bobby has become. Maybe that wasn't always the case when dealing with sometimes agenda driven media types. After all, he's been dealing with them since the age of 14. :)
Yes,I didn't like Searching for Bobby Orr either,it was hardly revealing.

Bruins 54

Nov 20, 2010

I had heard about the CBS interview but missed it ... thanks for posting that link.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Got the book this morning and read straight through it. Wow! What a great book. It's cool to get Bobby's story straight from the source. He devotes an entire chapter to Don Cherry. I really enjoyed reading that one because Orr sheds a lot of light on the immense respect he has for Grapes, and why that respect exists.

We all know what a kind and positive man Orr is, so his chapter on Eagleson will tell you all you need to know about what a dirtbag that guy is. We already know that Eagleson is a complete piece of crap, but reading in detail from Bobby about him makes me dislike him even more. What a POS!

Finally, Bobby's chapter on the state of hockey is good stuff. If you've listened to interviews with Orr then you probably have picked up on much of what is in that chapter, but it's still very interesting.

All in all this book is essential reading for hockey fans. The writing is incredibly easy to read and flows well. Block off some time for it. It's hard to put down once you start reading.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
just got my book this morning...went into store and I ask clerk for the book as it wasn't on the shelf...he said just putting up now and he then said he has a special copy for me and then hands over a copy autographed by Bobby...I got it as I was the first one to ask for the book...:)

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
just got my book this morning...went into store and I ask clerk for the book as it wasn't on the shelf...he said just putting up now and he then said he has a special copy for me and then hands over a copy autographed by Bobby...I got it as I was the first one to ask for the book...:)

Sweet! What a nice bonus.

I ordered mine from Amazon in May, I'll probably get the same treatment! :laugh::shakehead

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I have the digital copy and I'm hoping the hardcover is available today. I am just like Budddy and will read books in one sitting which gets me into trouble sleep wise lol. I will be reading it tonight:)

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Eagleson is the worst ******* ever involved with the NHL, and there have been a few. He's totally unrepentant, by the way. Effing pig. :rant::rant::rant:

Also by the way, we have the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune's Russ Conway to thank for finally bringing him to justice. :nod::handclap::yo:

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1442573781/NHL-Alumni-honor-Russ-Conway

Read a very good book by Russ Conway Titled:Game Misconduct.I ordered the book online from an online book store of used books.I paid one dollar for the book and when I received it,it was autographed by Mr. Conway and he even wrote a short essay about the book and then signed it.Great read if I find it today I will post a picture.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Hey, what a nice story. Good for you! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad