Orr: My Story Book Discussion Thread

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Read a very good book by Russ Conway Titled:Game Misconduct.I ordered the book online from an online book store of used books.I paid one dollar for the book and when I received it,it was autographed by Mr. Conway and he even wrote a short essay about the book and then signed it.Great read if I find it today I will post a picture.

I haven't read Game Misconduct. Doubtless a revealing read, and the price was right. ;)

choccy

Sep 17, 2010
London UK
I have the digital copy and I'm hoping the hardcover is available today. I am just like Budddy and will read books in one sitting which gets me into trouble sleep wise lol. I will be reading it tonight:)

Dude,

Where did you get your digital version from?

Amazon.uk don't have yet and the Hard back is in the post.

Would be good to read on way to work.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Dude,

Where did you get your digital version from?

Amazon.uk don't have yet and the Hard back is in the post.

Would be good to read on way to work.

I got it through work. The hardcover isn't available yet so I'm hoping that changes in the next few days.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Orr was on the Jeff Blair Show on the Fan in Toronto yesterday, if anybody wants to take a listen. It's about 20 minutes and he talks about his book, some of the rules in the current game, and the youth playing hockey. I'm not sure if there are restrictions for American listeners but here you go. Enjoy (if you can).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-blair-show/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Orr was on the Jeff Blair Show on the Fan in Toronto yesterday, if anybody wants to take a listen. It's about 20 minutes and he talks about his book, some of the rules in the current game, and the youth playing hockey. I'm not sure if there are restrictions for American listeners but here you go. Enjoy (if you can).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-blair-show/

Love his opinion on kids playing 12 month a year. I loved the game, but never asked to play summer hockey but played Summer Select hockey followed by power skating camps before tryouts for my regular team took place....burned out quick, and my love for the game was minimized by a father who pushed too much

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Love his opinion on kids playing 12 month a year. I loved the game, but never asked to play summer hockey but played Summer Select hockey followed by power skating camps before tryouts for my regular team took place....burned out quick, and my love for the game was minimized by a father who pushed too much

Me too. Burnout is the obvious one but I think you can also learn techniques from other sports that will help you improve. You can take basic principles in one sport and apply them to another. Playing football growing up taught me about getting low and using leverage, which helped me in 1-on-1 battles. Baseball helped me with hand-eye coordination as well as using my hip/trunk area better. As much as I love watching soccer, I am a terrible player. However, I am a somewhat competent defender because I took principles that I learned playing basketball such as footwork, angles, and taking away the opponent’s strong side and applied them to soccer. With some tweaking, I’m not all that bad.

I think the most important thing is that kids be kids and let them try their hand at a bunch of things. Maybe they’ll gravitate to, and be good at, something that you didn’t even think of. If they don’t make it to the big time (they most likely won’t) at least they got to experience different things and have fun doing what they wanted to do. I’m grateful to my father for not pushing anything on me. Like a typical European, he wanted me to play soccer growing up. Most kids play catch with their fathers. I played soccer. Eventually, he saw that it wasn’t my thing so he did what made me happy. He pitched and fetched countless baseballs. As for hockey, let me tell you, it’s pretty hilarious watching a 40-something Serbian immigrant strap on road hockey pads and eye down a bunch of slap shots.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thanks for posting the link. It was a great interview and will hold me over til Amazon gets the book here tomorrow.

Bobby's knees! :cry:

If I could ask him a question it would be, What's your second-favorite goal?

I hope he sells a lotta books.

I have oftened wondered what might have been if the surgical and rehab techniques of today had been available back then. :(

For me Robert Gordon Orr is the greatest hockey player ever. No one, not even Gordie Howe, comes close.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Me too. Burnout is the obvious one but I think you can also learn techniques from other sports that will help you improve. You can take basic principles in one sport and apply them to another. Playing football growing up taught me about getting low and using leverage, which helped me in 1-on-1 battles. Baseball helped me with hand-eye coordination as well as using my hip/trunk area better. As much as I love watching soccer, I am a terrible player. However, I am a somewhat competent defender because I took principles that I learned playing basketball such as footwork, angles, and taking away the opponent’s strong side and applied them to soccer. With some tweaking, I’m not all that bad.

I think the most important thing is that kids be kids and let them try their hand at a bunch of things. Maybe they’ll gravitate to, and be good at, something that you didn’t even think of. If they don’t make it to the big time (they most likely won’t) at least they got to experience different things and have fun doing what they wanted to do. I’m grateful to my father for not pushing anything on me. Like a typical European, he wanted me to play soccer growing up. Most kids play catch with their fathers. I played soccer. Eventually, he saw that it wasn’t my thing so he did what made me happy. He pitched and fetched countless baseballs. As for hockey, let me tell you, it’s pretty hilarious watching a 40-something Serbian immigrant strap on road hockey pads and eye down a bunch of slap shots.

Great post, I too am a believer that you should let the kids pick what it is they want to play/do, short of sitting on the couch all summer playing XBox;)

I was never given the choice/option, Dad would come home and let me know I was invited to select camp (of which anyone could decline if they wish) and I went as he told them I`d be there. Dad knew Brian Kilrea pretty well and Killer had a power skating camp every summer, he`d have various OHL players put on the camp and it was grueling, anything but fun. By the time the regular season rolled around, I was already cooked.

Best summer camp I ever attended was one put on by Stevie Y who used to return to Nepean in the summers, there were development drills and some power skating, but mostly, it was about having fun, his camp also had a no hitting policy, when talking with the parents (I was told) he insisted, he wasn`t going to risk a kid getting injured in the summer ruining his potential to make a team come tryouts. It was a blast, and to watch him up close in the camp was crazy

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Just got my hands on a digital copy and settling down to read it now. I'll probably pound it out this afternoon. Perfect pre-game reading material.

Speaking of books, if folks haven't read Russ Bernstein's "The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL," it's also a pretty good hockey read. He interviews 50 current and former NHL players, coaches and media about the self-policing nature of the sport.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I have oftened wondered what might have been if the surgical and rehab techniques of today had been available back then. :(

For me Robert Gordon Orr is the greatest hockey player ever. No one, not even Gordie Howe, comes close.

Contact deadspin.com, and I can almost guarantee that they will look into it for you (and us)...check out this article on Bo Jackson from earlier this week:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/coul...e-saved-bo-jacksons-career-1443105382/@kylenw

The best chance today's medical community could have given Bo for a full career would've been the complete prevention of avascular necrosis through improved imaging techniques and injury management. Our understanding of traumatic hip injuries has improved dramatically since Bo Jackson's retirement, and so has the treatment. But it's likely his prognosis would only be slightly improved today. His treatment was almost certainly thorough and prompt, and we can assume his avascular necrosis was diagnosed quickly. Medical opinion on progressive AVN is unchanged over the decades: Don't ever play football again. Bo Jackson's hip was a ticking time bomb of decay. Not even he could play NFL football on one of those.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Even though Im a Guy Lafleur and a Gordie Howe fan.Serge Savard was quoted as saying in the hockey world there are stars and superstars there is only one Bobby Orr.And in the magazine Hockey.Scotty Bowman had Orr as the greatest canadian player ever.It was a publication last year picking the top 100 canadian players ever

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Got mine yesterday in Acton. Big crowd, over a thousand and very busy. Got a handshake and an autograph.

Took an hour to get through,the cutoff was 300 people. His poor friggin hand. Told him he ruined hockey for me,that I couldn't even appreciate Ray Bourque til I reconciled the fact that his (Orr's) replacement was never coming. He just smiled and said thanks for coming out.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
just got my book this morning...went into store and I ask clerk for the book as it wasn't on the shelf...he said just putting up now and he then said he has a special copy for me and then hands over a copy autographed by Bobby...I got it as I was the first one to ask for the book...:)

Great stuff !!!

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Just picked up the book, I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I have a 25 hour flight ahead of me (with connections obviously). I should put it away pretty quick.

After looking over it briefly I am surprised he had photos of his kids, he always was very protective of their privacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad