Orr: My Story Book Discussion Thread

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He did signings in Toronto last week. Sorry to those of you who missed it.
(So did I. But I knew about 'em lol)

Guys a heads up, New England book fair had many signed copies on Sunday left over from the night before. You should try calling and see if they will ship to you.

Address: 82-84 Needham St, Newton Highlands, MA 02461

Phone (617) 527-5817

Good luck!

Old Time Sauce

Oct 8, 2008
Anyone have actual thoughts on the read so far? Im about 2 chapters in as i started last night, seems like Bobby just being Bobby humble as can be, a lot deeper than just a hockey book. I think going in i knew it wasn't going to be some tell all so i find the content inside very interesting.

Your thoughts?

(not trying to do a spoiler for those who haven't read it)

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Anyone have actual thoughts on the read so far? Im about 2 chapters in as i started last night, seems like Bobby just being Bobby humble as can be, a lot deeper than just a hockey book. I think going in i knew it wasn't going to be some tell all so i find the content inside very interesting.

Your thoughts?

(not trying to do a spoiler for those who haven't read it)

Yup, words to live by literally.
And he's all "I'm nothing special," like its his teammates who made him +124.

He's going to be on NHL Network coming up.

Last edited:

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Great stuff !!!

It was great...I had a shocked look on my face and the clerk just laughed...I said he should have mall security watch me so I don't walk into walls and hurt myself...:laugh:

The book has 2 stickers on the front..a gold one saying "signed copy" and a blue one saying "signed by author"...stickers are staying on the book!

Haven't started reading it as finishing up another book...looking forward to it!

reidy

@reidjjackson
Two girls I work with were at a conference downtown last week and heard that Bobby was doing a signing at the Pru. They bought the book and waited in line for 2 hours to get it signed, then gave it to me. I have no idea what I did to receive such an act of kindness, but I'm forever grateful.

Been reading the book on the bus to and from work, it's a pretty interesting read thus far. Looking forward to getting into the meat and potatoes stuff.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Greg Wyshynski is telling a story about how he offended Bobby when he interviewed him yesterday for puck daddy. He says the interview will be up on the blog today. My retelling wouldn't do it justice. D/L the podcast later and cringe along with Wysh. :blush:

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I stood in line for 3 hours last Friday at Willows Books in Acton to shake Bobby's hand and have his book signed. I spoke with all sorts of people during the wait: a woman who was inspired by him to play hockey in the late 60s and eventually played for Brown University; a guy who grew up in Wellesley and became the only member of his family to root for the Bruins because of Orr, etc... We were all in agreement: Bobby is the *only* person we would stand in line for, for 3 hours at least.

He stayed far longer than he was supposed to that night but in classic Orr form - he did not want to disappoint the fans and stayed an extra 2 hours until everyone went home with a signed book.

Class act.

Bruinguy

Here we are again!
Nov 18, 2003
Stuck in LeafNation
He will be in Oshawa tomorrow at Chapters at the Oshawa Centre for a signing. 7:00pm.
I already bought a copy of Amazon but it'll be worth buying another just to get it signed!! Although by the time I finish work and get there the line up may be too big :cry:

Event Guidelines:
• Line-up will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Individuals must have a purchased copy of Orr: My Story to be in line. Proof of purchase required from any Indigo, Chapters, WBB, Indigospirit or Coles location.
• Bobby Orr will autograph a maximum of THREE copies of Orr: My Story per person.
• NO personalization, autographs only.
• NO memorabilia or additional items will be permitted for the signing including sports equipment, posters, clothing, other books, DVDs, CDs or any other item. Signing Orr: My Story only.
• Candid photos only, no posed photography.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I just finished reading the first two chapters of the book, and I love it. Bobby putting everything into perspective, and it seems he was raised by great people. He made alot of good points about how things have changed since he was around. This is really cool for me, as I never seen him play or know much about him since I'm young, but I finally get a good account of him. Maybe one day I will get to visit Parry Sound and the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame. I've decided to give my brain a rest for about an hour or so, and I can't wait to pick up the book again and start reading again.

maswe12

Feb 27, 2002
orlando, fl
just got my book this morning...went into store and I ask clerk for the book as it wasn't on the shelf...he said just putting up now and he then said he has a special copy for me and then hands over a copy autographed by Bobby...I got it as I was the first one to ask for the book...:)

I randomly found a signed copy on top of a stack at Costco.....In Colorado nonetheless. Made my day!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just finished the book and found it pretty ho hum. Guess I would have preferred a collection of Tom Fitzgerald,Joe Fitzgerald and Leigh Montville anecdotes.

BallroomBitz

Once a Bruin...
Jul 7, 2006
I know it is OT, but anyone have a review of sanderson's book? Worth buying?

I really liked fleury's book, and have proberts to read.

Way OT again, but Tyson's book is out and I bet it's going to be really good.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I really loved Orr's book. And I really loved Turk's as well.

Here's the thing: I was born in '82. I missed that whole era. So whatever information I can get, I soak it up. Sanderson's book is more substantial than Orr's, but I think Orr's book spoke more to me as a fan of the sport (if that makes sense - if it doesn't, then read both and it should).

BallroomBitz

Once a Bruin...
Jul 7, 2006
I really loved Orr's book. And I really loved Turk's as well.

Here's the thing: I was born in '82. I missed that whole era. So whatever information I can get, I soak it up. Sanderson's book is more substantial than Orr's, but I think Orr's book spoke more to me as a fan of the sport (if that makes sense - if it doesn't, then read both and it should).

Thanks!

I was born in '82 as well so I missed out on a lot of good old Bruins hockey, too. Sanderson's book seems like more of a "dressing room stories" book and that's what I'm in too.

Have you read canseco's juiced book? Somebody please tell me it gets into the scandal eventually. It's the only reason I bought it, and 3 or 4 chapters in it is just about Jose's growing up.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Sanderson's book is definitely a must-read for B's fans that want to learn more about that era. Beyond that it's just a damn good read. Between Sanderson's book and Orr's bio you can learn quite a bit about the NHL during that great era of hockey.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Any other season ticket holders going to the Orr book signing prior to the game tonight? Should be cool to meet #4.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Sanderson`s book was/is fantastic. I have and read Playing with Fire and although I found the recovery aspect as something I related to based on personal experience, I found waaaaaaaaaay too often his book containing far too many pages talking about how great he was.

One thing in recovery I learned, was humility, Theo still struggles having any. His story involves events that nobody should have to endure but recovery teaches me, I have to move on and forgive and do so humbly.

Sanderson`s book is far more honest, and far less self promoting

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Sanderson`s book was/is fantastic. I have and read Playing with Fire and although I found the recovery aspect as something I related to based on personal experience, I found waaaaaaaaaay too often his book containing far too many pages talking about how great he was.

One thing in recovery I learned, was humility, Theo still struggles having any. His story involves events that nobody should have to endure but recovery teaches me, I have to move on and forgive and do so humbly.

Sanderson`s book is far more honest, and far less self promoting

This is exactly how I felt about Playing With Fire. Great book, inspiring stuff to read, but Theo could get arrogant real quick. He spent more than a few pages complaining about having to learn how to backcheck, and that got old after awhile.

Sanderson, on the other hand, might've been 'arrogant' but more often than not the book doesn't seem to play him that way. He comes across as a guy who knew how to sell his image, and he was damned successful at that, obviously. I haven't finished Sanderson's book yet, but I would highly recommend it. It's a very tough read, but also very inspiring as well.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
This is exactly how I felt about Playing With Fire. Great book, inspiring stuff to read, but Theo could get arrogant real quick. He spent more than a few pages complaining about having to learn how to backcheck, and that got old after awhile.

Sanderson, on the other hand, might've been 'arrogant' but more often than not the book doesn't seem to play him that way. He comes across as a guy who knew how to sell his image, and he was damned successful at that, obviously. I haven't finished Sanderson's book yet, but I would highly recommend it. It's a very tough read, but also very inspiring as well.
Liked Sanderson's book better than Orr's. After Orr got finished thanking everyone and barely describing himself or his experiences the way I wanted to hear it,it became a book about his opinions on all things hockey. I was disappointed in the content.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00