Orlov with the HOTY

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Orlov throws this same hit often and he's blown a few people up with it. This has everything to do with one player lining up for a hip check and another cutting back to try and avoid it when he sees it coming. He saw it too late and it made the point of contact different. That said, this is nothing compared to the Marchand hit. Can't believe the amount of hate this hit is getting, absolutely ridiculous. Height has nothing to do with this hit, people saying that if Orlov were short like Marchand it would have been the same dirty hit he threw. You're responsible for being in control of your body and equipment at all times on the ice no matter what size you are. If Orlov is as short as Marchand who's to say he does or doesn't make this hit, the fact is that he isn't as short as Marchand, did not go as low as him and no penalty was called because of it. Hockey can be a game of violent collisions sometimes, it happens.

Clean hit and an absolute beauty, HOTY more than likely. Glad Duchene isn't hurt.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Erm. Looked a tad low to me on the first glance. Neutral fan, by the way.

It is an absolutely beautiful hit only made better by the fact that nobody was injured. With that said, I would really like to see an alternative angle because that's quite borderline & could've easily blown Duchene's knees if so.

It's a tight line. Hip checks are beautiful and always appreciated, but once it goes into low-bridging, you suddenly have something very dangerous.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
May I ask why this is a hit of the decade, and the hit Marchand on Salo is dirty and despicable?
I am open to real explanations that also consider that Marchand is 6 inch smaller than Salo, while Orlov is actually 1 inch taller than Duchene.

Let me present the evidence.

So if Chara high sticks Gaudreau it's not a penalty because Chara is so much taller and his stick is so much longer?

Stop trying to tie this hit in with Marchand's clipping, this was a beautiful hipcheck at the waist and Marchand's hit was low hitting garbage and so is Marchand.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
So if Chara high sticks Gaudreau it's not a penalty because Chara is so much taller and his stick is so much longer?

Stop trying to tie this hit in with Marchand's clipping, this was a beautiful hipcheck at the waist and Marchand's hit was low hitting garbage and so is Marchand.

Doesn't a hip check man you use your hip to check a player? At no point is Orlovs hip the point of contact. He rams his shoulder in Duchene's legs and goes even lower. In fact at one point his complete back touches Duchene's legs, not a single point of Orlovs body is higher than Duchene's waistline. Orlovs ass is on the opposite side of Duchene. This is not a hip check, this is a Marchand hit. I doubt Orlov could physically go any lower on a hit.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Doesn't a hip check man you use your hip to check a player? At no point is Orlovs hip the point of contact. He rams his shoulder in Duchene's legs and goes even lower. In fact at one point his complete back touches Duchene's legs, not a single point of Orlovs body is higher than Duchene's waistline. Orlovs ass is on the opposite side of Duchene. This is not a hip check, this is a Marchand hit. I doubt Orlov could physically go any lower on a hit.

Guy just goes over the hip. Usually the hitter just put his upper body laterally and goes down a bit so on the hit opponent flips over. that wasn't the normal but still hipcheck.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Orlov was lined up for the hit, but Duchene made a quick cut to the middle of the ice and stood up to dodge Orlov. As a result, Orlov's upper back got Duchene's thighs and he made a flip.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It was really low, but not too low. I don't know how anyone can call that a hip check though, his hips were tucked in. Closer to a shoulder check than a hip check.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Hit? People call THAT a hit? He bent over and low bridged a guy. Not hard to flip a dude when you get a guy at the knees and then stand up while they're going over top of you.

It's amazing how many identifiable young people there are in this thread. Most are too young to remember Scott Stevens or about two dozen other bad men roaming the league in the 90's and even into the early 2000's.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Orlov was lined up for the hit, but Duchene made a quick cut to the middle of the ice and stood up to dodge Orlov. As a result, Orlov's upper back got Duchene's thighs and he made a flip.

So you're saying he made a move towards Orlov's hips and still got hit with his shoulder?
I'm not saying it was dirty, though

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
How do you call it a hip check when he hits him with his shoulder? Dangerous hit and should've been penalized.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So you're saying he made a move towards Orlov's hips and still got hit with his shoulder?
I'm not saying it was dirty, though

The other way around. Duchene moved to the left, in the direction of Orlov's head, so he ended up on his shoulder instead of the lower back.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
It makes me laugh that half of this board complains about the NHL not being fun anymore and then hate on beautiful clean checks like this.

I agree it looked spectacular, and live it looked clean. But it definitely is a bit low, no other way to flip a guy like that. Since Dutch was fine I like it a lot better, but easily could have been bad.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008

he could go lower, just slide on knees to take the legs out... but he didnt do it... watch his extension of his back to catapult duchene. also he didnt ram anything, thats what makes this collision so beautiful.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
There was nothing wrong with the hit, it was a great hockey play all around. No one got injured, Orlov didn't abandon his position or cause an odd man rush and it energized his team/fans. Hockey fans just aren't used to seeing good hip checks anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad