Orlov with the HOTY

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Honestly, that was a dangerous play by Orlov and borderline clipping.
Would not call that a hip check

Agreed. Since Seguin's injury I hate seeing anything even borderline clipping. It can do a lot of damage. Can't applaud a hit like this.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That was clipping according to the rulebook but that's rarely called unless there is malintent, an injury or a player with a reputation.

Aesthetic hit though.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Looks well above the knees and more in the quads and upper leg to me. Fantastic well timed hit.

Hard to believe not too long ago that hit would be applauded by all. Great technique and timing by Orlov, absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Wish we saw more hip checks, it's a lost art. Just good, physical hockey.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
nice hit. My favorite part of the hit was where Matt Duchene got up and continued to play hockey and nobody on the Avs stopped playing hockey to come over to punch Orlov for laying a clean hit

Who knew that in this day and age, players could still play hockey after a hit?!? Maybe there's hope after all. Props to both players.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Awesome hit. It was technically clipping (shoulder into legs), but only because Duchene tried to avoid the hit. 100% fine with it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Awesome hit. It was technically clipping (shoulder into legs), but only because Duchene tried to avoid the hit. 100% fine with it.

Yeah Duchene tried to cut last second, but Orlov's hip was still part of the principle point of contact (along with his ribs and shoulder).

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
My heart loves the hit, but my brain says it was a tad dangerous

Could have been a nasty result. Think Tucker on Peca

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
I get it... when its Marchand with the exact hit it's dirty, but its not, so its a super awesome hit of the year highlight reel play.:shakehead

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My heart loves the hit, but my brain says it was a tad dangerous

When a guy goes head over tails that fast it actually doesn't hurt nearly as much as it looks like.

A hard hit along the boards, to the head, or getting caught with a shoulder to the chest hurts far more than being flipped like that.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I get it... when its Marchand with the exact hit it's dirty, but its not, so its a super awesome hit of the year highlight reel play.:shakehead

It's not the same thing at all. Marchand got low enough to target the knees. Orlov was going for Duchene's hip but Duchene stood up at the last second.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's not the same thing at all. Marchand got low enough to target the knees. Orlov was going for Duchene's hip but Duchene stood up at the last second.

This. Not even comparable. Even with Duchene standing up to cut, Orlov still makes contact with the quads and upper legs as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad