Orlov with the HOTY

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
This was my thought when I saw the hit. Either they're both dirty or they're both clean.

I happen to think they're both dirty. Orlov gets way too low

Agree fully. Hip checks are supposed to be delivered with the hip into the hip or thigh area. This is hip into knees. So fortunate there was no injury on the play -- could have been season-ending.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avalanche fans seem like the only ones saying this hit was clean. Duchene is playing so bad we don't even care to try to defend him :laugh:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Reminds me of this.

Exactly, or of many plays Marchand did in past and got called and even suspended doing them.

I mean hit it clean, is nice, but I guess it depends on player doing the hit. Same hit, same results, different instigator and different outcome by refs/league officials.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
From last year's rulebook:

Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction,
across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower
his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s
knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player who may
or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check
the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his
body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

Both players lowering themselves at the same time makes it hard to prove "sole intent". Orlov was also raising up to make the hit, not diving low to clip the knees.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Not sure how that isn't a penalty, it was CLEARLY clipping. He went way too low.

A hip check is at the hip, not the knees...

Untitled.jpg

Not sure how anyone could say that isn't directly at the knees...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not sure how that isn't a penalty, it was CLEARLY clipping. He went way too low.

The clipping rule is right above your post. That's what makes it clean or a penalty. There is no definition of "hip check" in the rules that I've seen and there certainly isn't a binding rule dictating that hip checks must be made hip to hip. It generally just means you use your hip area to deliver a check and anatomically it works out that way.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Untitled.jpg

Duchene's hips were about level with Orlov's, before he decided it was a good idea to stand straight up to dodge the hit.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Duchene's hips were about level with Orlov's, before he decided it was a good idea to stand straight up to dodge the hit.

This. Plus that's a cherrypicked angle. The ice-level camera better shows how they came together and how Orlov was hitting UP while Duchene was trying to go up and over/around.

First couple of posts have the tweet. It's not hard to watch it a few times and even freeze it at the moment they're both low for contact.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I love seeing good clean checks like this, too bad they have gotten so rare.

And as someone said early on, good for the Avs for not retaliating. This is how the game used to be played.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Honestly, that was a dangerous play by Orlov and borderline clipping.
Would not call that a hip check

This. It wasn't even really a check. Orlov just crouched and Duchene's own momentum made him flip. More of a Jiu-Jitsu form of clipping than anything.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

Untitled.jpg

dont care that much but
point of contact is his shoulder into duchenes hip/chest. knees hit afterward. scary looking CLEAN play.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Knees weren't targeted and main area of contact was shoulder in the waist area. It was awkward but nothing dirty.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hopefully next time Orlov goes to hit someone like this, they skate through him and knee him right in the face.

If Duchene doesn't try and jump over him, he's probably got a blown out knee. Since that's where Orlov's hip/butt make initial contact. Your butt isn't 6 inches off the ice when you're making a hip check, for those confused, thinking this is a "beauty" hip check.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Avalanche fans seem like the only ones saying this hit was clean. Duchene is playing so bad we don't even care to try to defend him :laugh:

Bizarro universe here. Usually we're homers defending a player that was blindsided cleanly, now we're blind for not noticing how dirty that clean hit was.

Duchene evaded a hip check, no one got injured, Orlov made a good play. It's really that simple, analyze it however you want but unless you're about to get a measuring stick out and have them reenact the hit then there's no room for complaining, still frames and one camera angle don't tell the whole story.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I love seeing good clean checks like this, too bad they have gotten so rare.

And as someone said early on, good for the Avs for not retaliating. This is how the game used to be played.

Wonder if that hit was done on AO you would be saying the same thing.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Hopefully next time Orlov goes to hit someone like this, they skate through him and knee him right in the face.

If Duchene doesn't try and jump over him, he's probably got a blown out knee. Since that's where Orlov's hip/butt make initial contact. Your butt isn't 6 inches off the ice when you're making a hip check, for those confused, thinking this is a "beauty" hip check.

Since you seem equally confused, let me remind you that Orlov's hip is nowhere near that low before he starts braking to account for Duchene's change in direction.

In three quick steps: Orlov is pushing Duchene to the outside boards. He pivots towards the boards to begin skating forwards with Duchene, to make sure the puck gets down into the corner.

Duchene reads the pivot and, with his opponent now moving towards the wall, attempts to open up the middle of the ice.

Orlov slams the brakes on, which drops his body height while Duchene's rises during his cut to the middle.

Orlov still makes/follows the hit through with as much of his upper body as possible, minimizing any potential knee contact.

As far as I can see it, Orlov wanted to rub Duchene into the boards and force a dump in. Duchene cut to the middle, but Orlov is a good skater and stopped a lot sharper than Duchene expected.

Orlov loves lining up hip checks, so I'm pretty sure he knows you're usually not supposed to do them with your own head facing the boards. What happened after that is just reflex by two hockey players.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Since you seem equally confused, let me remind you that Orlov's hip is nowhere near that low before he starts braking to account for Duchene's change in direction.

In three quick steps: Orlov is pushing Duchene to the outside boards. He pivots towards the boards to begin skating forwards with Duchene, to make sure the puck gets down into the corner.

Duchene reads the pivot and, with his opponent now moving towards the wall, attempts to open up the middle of the ice.

Orlov slams the brakes on, which drops his body height while Duchene's rises during his cut to the middle.

Orlov still makes/follows the hit through with as much of his upper body as possible, minimizing any potential knee contact.

As far as I can see it, Orlov wanted to rub Duchene into the boards and force a dump in. Duchene cut to the middle, but Orlov is a good skater and stopped a lot sharper than Duchene expected.

Orlov loves lining up hip checks, so I'm pretty sure he knows you're usually not supposed to do them with your own head facing the boards. What happened after that is just reflex by two hockey players.

At no point during a hockey stop are you that low.... Ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad