Orlov with the HOTY

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
May I ask why this is a hit of the decade, and the hit Marchand on Salo is dirty and despicable?
I am open to real explanations that also consider that Marchand is 6 inch smaller than Salo, while Orlov is actually 1 inch taller than Duchene.

Let me present the evidence.

One is at the hip, one is at the knee.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I just wrote it - Orlovs body posture is not higher than Marchand, its just that he himself is bigger and Duchene is way smaller than Salo. Its absolutely the same hit, the same body position of the hitter, just a different guy who is getting it. If he did the same against Colbourne he would've taken his knees out.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
The league is screwed when you get people suspended for clean North and South freight trains but this crap is applauded.

Obvious clipping 2 min minor.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I just wrote it - Orlovs body posture is not higher than Marchand, its just that he himself is bigger and Duchene is way smaller than Salo. Its absolutely the same hit, the same body position of the hitter, just a different guy who is getting it. If he did the same against Colbourne he would've taken his knees out.

then it wouldve been illegal............

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Nice clean hit.

Not even the hit of the year so far let alone with another 80ish games to go for each team.

It dazzles so some see it as more spectacular then it really is.

My favourite part was Duchene not whining about it.

You could see him on the bench afterwards and while I am not officially a mind reader you could tell he said "I don't ______ care. It's hockey" or something to that effect.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
It makes me laugh that half of this board complains about the NHL not being fun anymore and then hate on beautiful clean checks like this.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
i know it's a dirty hit, I'm just amazed he could get that low with his center of gravity. his hip was less than foot off the ground when he made contact.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
its no clipping for me

orlov started the hit a bit low but his back/hip extended after the first contact to catapult duchene away, making this a more modern type of hip check.

i see the most clipping when players try to get away/doge opposing players.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
Beautiful but dirty hit. If that's someone like Marchand or Torres laying that hit, it's a clipping penalty.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Orlov is quietly becoming a solid top 4 d man

Not really. I love the guy, but he was erratic in playoffs and was even scratched for game 2 of 2nd round. Tonight he played well, but first two games of year he gave puck away repeatedly. I would rank alzner, carlson, niskanen, orpik ahead of him easily. Definitely has nice speed and some significant untapped potential on offense. But badly needs to button up his game in D zone before he is considered legit top-4 guy, IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My heart loves the hit, but my brain says it was a tad dangerous

Could have been a nasty result. Think Tucker on Peca

Dangerous? if he had stood up and hit him between the pecs, he might have knocked him out. Geez. Duchene skated right over his back.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orlov is quietly becoming a solid top 4 d man

Not really. He gaffed up a two on zero in the last game. he gaffed up a breakaway in this game and recovered to tangle the play up. He's got work to do.

At this same time, this hit is not quiet. This is not close to the first hip check he has thrown and wont be the last.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It always scares me when that happens because of the possibility of the player landing on his neck/head.
Its also awesome and fun. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad