News and Blog Report: Orange uniforms permanently replacing the blue

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Completely awful.

I much prefer the blue. I don't like this at all. I'm not a fan of the orange jerseys, but I didn't mind them for thirds. Making them the permanent home jerseys sucks.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I definitely prefer the Blue to the Orange. At first I really didn't like the orange jersey's, but they've grown on me somewhat. But they just don't feel like true Oiler jersey's. Just feel like a nod to a time that most Oiler fans weren't alive for/don't remember.

I don't hate the decision. But I'd prefer sticking with the blue.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2017/02/07/22702537.html

With all that in mind your correspondent asked online editor Nathan Martin to create a poll to run on both Sun and Journal websites polling fans whether they wanted the Oilers to choose blue or orange for their home jerseys going forward.

You voted orange.

But it wasn’t anywhere near the overwhelming response indicated by the jersey sales.

In all, a whopping 5,687 readers responded with 2,939 voting orange and 2,748 voting blue.

That’s 52 per cent orange and 48 per cent blue.

“We sell 200% more orange than blue and white combined.

“Orange is definitely the colour.â€

And sales of Oilers jerseys with McDavid’s name and No. 97 on the back are even more staggering.

“We sell more McDavid jerseys than we do blanks. That’s just unprecedented. The blank jerseys, just because of the costs being half of what a jersey crested with name and numbers cost, has always outsold the crested jersey. We’re selling about two McDavid jerseys to every one blank,†said Hodgson.

They sell more orange, because orange is a novelty right now. Don't know how they don't see that.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I have an orange one, but ultimately I don't care. Eliminating third jerseys in general is the part I hate.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They sell more orange, because orange is a novelty right now. Don't know how they don't see that.

If you read the article it also talks about how people are associating Orange with the Connor McDavid era.

It's not like they are brand new right now either. It's year two.

And wy wouldn't you ride that novelty anyway?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'm sure they do see that. All of these decisions are driven by jersey sales. Once orange jersey sales wane, the Oilers will re-introduce the blue, or bring in "retro" 90s jerseys or the MacFarlane 3rds again or whatever and we'll do it all again.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm sure they do see that. All of these decisions are driven by jersey sales. Once orange jersey sales wane, the Oilers will re-introduce the blue, or bring in "retro" 90s jerseys or the MacFarlane 3rds again or whatever and we'll do it all again.

This
I love the orange jersey..maybe in a couple years the novelty will wear off but I do associate the orange jersey with the McDavid-era

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
If you read the article it also talks about how people are associating Orange with the Connor McDavid era.

It's not like they are brand new right now either. It's year two.

And wy wouldn't you ride that novelty anyway?

They can ride it all they want. But I just wanted to point out that as the poll indicated, it's almost an even split between the blue, and orange. The jersey sales numbers would even out eventually is all I'm saying.

Pretty much, yup.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like the old copper and blue jerseys from the 05/06 run. I think those were the best

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I like the old copper and blue jerseys from the 05/06 run. I think those were the best

Me too.

I took my jersey copper and blue jersey in to get McDavid and 97 on it when the Oilers won the draft lottery. Then the Oilers made all official cresting suppliers return old jerseys without McDavid's number being put on. A couple days later they released the orange jerseys. :rant:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I prefer the blue jerseys.

The orange jerseys would be better if the numbers were lower down on the arms like on our other two jerseys.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
As a non-fan, I think the Orange is quite distinct. There are many, many teams in blue unis, but with Orange it's just you guys and the Flyers (and Ducks alternates, I guess).

It's all sales-driven in any event. In a few years expect a retro-inspired third, which ultimately becomes their standard, yet again.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
The Orange jerseys play themselves out after being worn a couple times in a row. There nice but I definitely prefer the Blue, I wouldn't mind them doing what they did this year again after the adidas third jersey ban is over.

Rereading that quote he says 2 NEW jerseys, so we're not even getting the same Orange or white jerseys next season, this better not be bettman stripes all over again.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I like both jerseys but man they really need to bring back these bad boys:

7f0291b3-4cdc-4158-82cd-1a4c71c40514.jpg

love them! copper stripes, no orange!
was a great uniform.

poll turned out to be pretty even, overall.
glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the orange, or at least the orange replacing the blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad