News and Blog Report: Orange uniforms permanently replacing the blue

Fire Lowe

Nov 19, 2013
I am a bit surprised that many of you do not get it. There are ten teams or so in the NHL with blue jerseys. Orange is part of the Oilers heritage and is unique. You do not need to be a marketing genius to see the opportunities.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I am a bit surprised that many of you do not get it. There are ten teams or so in the NHL with blue jerseys. Orange is part of the Oilers heritage and is unique. You do not need to be a marketing genius to see the opportunities.

I get it. Just don't like it.

Lots of teams where blue, but you don't see the Rangers switching to another colour because of it. Orange is very trendy right now, like the Canucks Halloween V jerseys were at one time. There is a reason teams don't choose orange as a primary colour.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I get it. Just don't like it.

Lots of teams where blue, but you don't see the Rangers switching to another colour because of it. Orange is very trendy right now, like the Canucks Halloween V jerseys were at one time. There is a reason teams don't choose orange as a primary colour.

The first part about the Rangers is completely correct. About the second part, however, I actually don't dislike orange as a primary colour, but it's just not the Oilers identity.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I personally don't care as long as the logo stays the same, but Nicholson is 100% right about creating a new identity. The blues were always going to evoke memories of the 80s. The Oranges don't have the same effect for the 70s, yet they still respect the team's history. It's a perfect move.

Fire Lowe

Nov 19, 2013
The Orange is indeed part of the identity if you are older than 25. Our Cups with Orange in our jersey are 5, with no orange , 0

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I like both jerseys but man they really need to bring back these bad boys:

7f0291b3-4cdc-4158-82cd-1a4c71c40514.jpg

Yeah those are the classiest jerseys in the closet. Pretty much perfect except for the red piping around the collar which you could just change to copper or white. Orange is OK for this new crew led by McDavid - but hope they bring the classic 2006 blue uniform back as an alternate.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Yeah those are the classiest jerseys in the closet. Pretty much perfect except for the red piping around the collar which you could just change to copper or white. Orange is OK for this new crew led by McDavid - but hope they bring the classic 2006 blue uniform back as an alternate.

Copper and Blue was the best colors ever. Orange sucks.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I really miss the 2006 style, I'll watch no matter what they wear but the Weight/Joseph all the way to Pronger set was my favourite.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like both jerseys but man they really need to bring back these bad boys:

7f0291b3-4cdc-4158-82cd-1a4c71c40514.jpg

Copper and Blue was the best colors ever. Orange sucks.

Completely agree.
Besides...Oil isn't orange. IIRC the only reason why the Oilers have the Orange and Blue colors are due to Gulf Oil sponsoring the team way back when. Orange and Blue were the corporate colors for Gulf.

The copper and blue in that photo were by far the classiest/sharpest jersey this team ever wore. No gaudy orange in sight. Also not a fan of the yolk on the shoulders.

As nice as they are I cant see Katz ever bringing back those Copper and Blue jerseys though. They are the jersey of a previous ownership group.

EDIT: Thanks to 40oz for setting me straight on the right Oil company. :D

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Love the Blue jersey. Hate the Orange ones. Shame that they are ditching the Stanley Cup history of the team and going orange. I can live with it as a third occasionally, but not permanently.

Would also like to see the NHL go Whites for all home teams and colours for away team. Would be cool to see all the varying colours when a new team pays a visit.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
I must be solely alone in this opinion (with you) but I have wanted a return to the 'home whites' for more than 15 years at least now I'm sure. I can't even remember when the switch was but I've hated it ever since. If you can believe it, it still honestly doesn't feel right seeing them in the 'road darks' after all these years, at home. Christ I wish the league would change back.

IM SURE ITS ALSO WHY WE HAVENT WON ANY MORE F ING CUPS TOO!

As to Orange or Blue? My take? That ******* Eakins removed the 5 cups, the ping pong table, and a whole lot of other s**t from the room pertaining to "the glory years" Way too much for him - overstepping his place. But I think he had the right idea in mind however arrogant and misguided he was. This team and city needed to be distanced from that somehow and this move to me is the correct choice as well.

Hate the colour but you've got to admit Drai and the Mcboys look fantastic!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Like the Orange and have been watching for 30+ years, as long as the blue makes a comeback in future seasons it's no big deal.
That's the way I look at it too. The whites are actually my fav so as long as they stay I'm happy as a clam.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

we all get it, but doesn't mean we like it.

I also hate the argument "new team, new identity"
when you have a classic look and a winning history, sometimes you don't need a new identity.

it would be like the leafs changing their uniforms from blue. "well, it's new era and all those cup wins were history. we want a fresh start apart from that. we need a new look for the Matthews era."

sorry. seeing the oilers in orange instead of blue just looks like this to me.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Completely agree.
Besides...Oil isn't orange. IIRC the only reason why the Oilers have the Orange and Blue colors are due to Husky Oil sponsoring the team way back when. Orange and Blue were the corporate colors for Husky.

The copper and blue in that photo were by far the classiest/sharpest jersey this team ever wore. No gaudy orange in sight. Also not a fan of the yolk on the shoulders.

As nice as they are I cant see Katz ever bringing back those Copper and Blue jerseys though. They are the jersey of a previous ownership group.

*Gulf Oil

gulf-logo.png

Flyersarekillingme

Mar 21, 2017
From what i read/understand; the whole reason they have to abandon the Blue jersey is because the new jersey contract will only allow for 2 jerseys per team. No team will have a third jersey.

Now, could the Oilers do Orange and Dark Blue? yes. Technically if the league is ok with it (Nashville makes me think you dont specifically need white anymore as the base of the light jerseys. BUT nobody else uses "mustard" color in their jerseys...a point i will get to later).

The old rules of having a white jersey are from the days of Black and White TV in that spotty 10p resolution. You couldnt have 2 dark jerseys of different colors, or two light jerseys playing against eachother.
In todays era of TV i think we can scrap that BUT i think on the ice its less confusing for players peripheral (officials too where your brain sees an infraction in your peripheral and identifies a color...you turn your head and two guys are skating away but with same base colors?). Imagine Oilers Oranges playing the Islanders original....might be some passes to wrong players.

So it makes sense to stay with the trusted Whites versus darks... or darks versus skins, as my buddies and i like to call it. Nashville can get away with it because no other team likes to wear baby vomit.

That leads to the second part of the discussion...
why orange over blue?
I think Nicholson said it loud and clear. The past will be respected (and the Oranges are a salute to the very beginning of the Oilers franchise) but its time to mark the new era. That is what the Orange jerseys do.

My Weight era of Oilers hockey, that i grew up on is unique. That jersey will always be special to me and ended quickly after the 06 run. The pajamas followed.

I like the Oranges and i think it shows a new era quite well. Id love the Whites to use the old "red" logo but with Orange instead of Red. I think the NHL doesnt like the messing with logos though. If people are unfamiliar with it, it was just a rearrangement of the colors in the logo. that logo was a WHA jersey usage that gave a nod to the past OIL KINGS junior teams.

Oilers have, pajamas aside--which were forced by the nhl, a rich history in jerseys (also i eliminate the original mcfarlane third which was simply a cash grab very necessary in that financially crushing day)

Nashville has a white away jersey.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Whites with no shoulder yokes are the best, but they will change the yoke to orange with blue trim.

As a side note, I wish they would reduce the size of the shoulder yoke. It's waaaay too big. Look back at the dynasty years and you can see it's much smaller back then. Looks pretty ridiculous now with how big it is.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I like the orange jerseys.

I like the blue jerseys slightly more, although I'd attribute that to my general preference for cooler colours.

All in all, I don't really care too much, so I chose the third option on the poll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad