News and Blog Report: Orange uniforms permanently replacing the blue

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Also, none of the teams will have thirds next year, but some time in the future you know they'll bring back blue.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Disappointed. Hope the blue returns the year after as a third jersey.

From what i read/understand; the whole reason they have to abandon the Blue jersey is because the new jersey contract will only allow for 2 jerseys per team. No team will have a third jersey.

Now, could the Oilers do Orange and Dark Blue? yes. Technically if the league is ok with it (Nashville makes me think you dont specifically need white anymore as the base of the light jerseys. BUT nobody else uses "mustard" color in their jerseys...a point i will get to later).

The old rules of having a white jersey are from the days of Black and White TV in that spotty 10p resolution. You couldnt have 2 dark jerseys of different colors, or two light jerseys playing against eachother.
In todays era of TV i think we can scrap that BUT i think on the ice its less confusing for players peripheral (officials too where your brain sees an infraction in your peripheral and identifies a color...you turn your head and two guys are skating away but with same base colors?). Imagine Oilers Oranges playing the Islanders original....might be some passes to wrong players.

So it makes sense to stay with the trusted Whites versus darks... or darks versus skins, as my buddies and i like to call it. Nashville can get away with it because no other team likes to wear baby vomit.

That leads to the second part of the discussion...
why orange over blue?
I think Nicholson said it loud and clear. The past will be respected (and the Oranges are a salute to the very beginning of the Oilers franchise) but its time to mark the new era. That is what the Orange jerseys do.

My Weight era of Oilers hockey, that i grew up on is unique. That jersey will always be special to me and ended quickly after the 06 run. The pajamas followed.

I like the Oranges and i think it shows a new era quite well. Id love the Whites to use the old "red" logo but with Orange instead of Red. I think the NHL doesnt like the messing with logos though. If people are unfamiliar with it, it was just a rearrangement of the colors in the logo. that logo was a WHA jersey usage that gave a nod to the past OIL KINGS junior teams.

Oilers have, pajamas aside--which were forced by the nhl, a rich history in jerseys (also i eliminate the original mcfarlane third which was simply a cash grab very necessary in that financially crushing day)

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Also, none of the teams will have thirds next year, but some time in the future you know they'll bring back blue.

It seems whenever they switch manufacturers the league doesnt allow for thirds. its happened a couple times since the original missed season lock-out. The NHL has eventually come off their hard "2 jersey cap" within 2 seasons always. it might just be easier for the manufacturing change to keep it at 62 jerseys (Vegas)

fact is the league always changes on this after the innitial first year of said contract.

It has gotten pretty stupid though, i must say. Some teams push it to far. Maybe every team needs to define their 3 jerseys and they are locked into them for 10 years (basically an "era"). That way you dont see some of the disgusting 3rd, 4th, 5th money grab jerseys.

Also force teams to decide their 3rd jersey (set in stone for the 10 year span) and cap their use to 4 Home games and 2 Away games per season that are approved by the NHL and Officials Union (to make sure visually there would be no issues).
A scenario i love to think about...and the NHL should ponder it .....>>>For example...Oilers Blues versus Flames Red Homes would be A-ok. There is no color issue for officials or players in that scenario. Personally i think it would be great. Oilers Blue versus Penguins Yellow (if they go that way). Oilers Blue versus Sharks Teal could work but might be one axed by the officials for risk of confusion in peripheral situations. Those gorgeous Dallas green jerseys or Capitals Reds (risky blue in it though)...versus Oilers Blues. There ARE combos that work

Outdoor games will get their "one-off" jerseys still.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I read an article awhile back and they were interviewing stores. It appeared to be very clear that people are buying the Orange ones.

Haha... good to see they did some solid market research there. It's pretty darn surprising that fans with 2-3 blue Oiler jerseys in their closet would go out and buy an orange one in the first year after it is introduced. :sarcasm:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
From what i read/understand; the whole reason they have to abandon the Blue jersey is because the new jersey contract will only allow for 2 jerseys per team. No team will have a third jersey.

Yeah, I understand that much. From what I understand, that's only for the first year with Adidas. I was referring to the 2018-19 season, when third jerseys will presumably return.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Yeah, I understand that much. From what I understand, that's only for the first year with Adidas. I was referring to the 2018-19 season, when third jerseys will presumably return.

i think people are assuming it will only be for the first year since it has awyas been the league setting these caps...and theyve always adjusted after the first year of a new contract.

From a finances point of view i can understand it (keeping it to the 2 X31) as risk management. Also you understand the financial push to get the 3rd/alternates in there ASAP, once Adidas proves themselves and their product.

I hope Adidas doesnt try to reinvent the wheel...(hello pajamas)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Haha... good to see they did some solid market research there. It's pretty darn surprising that fans with 2-3 blue Oiler jerseys in their closet would go out and buy an orange one in the first year after it is introduced. :sarcasm:

yeah...Oilers fans dont love buying anything and everything Oilers.:sarcasm:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I like the orange and I've cheered for the Oil since day one. The whites have always been my favorite though.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I wonder if some of the marketing behind this, outside the clear monetary gain, was the visual association of the Orange jerseys to McDavid era hockey, and the blues ones to years of miserable hockey. I'm guessing part of the process was going through focus groups after all.

I didn't realize many fans had that very association, but after conversations on here, other boards, and in person, it seems to be a common one.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This is better for team identity. When you think of Blue, you don't think Oilers, you think Blues or Leafs. At least with Dirty Orange it's a color more uniquely representative of the Oilers.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I wonder if some of the marketing behind this, outside the clear monetary gain, was the visual association of the Orange jerseys to McDavid era hockey, and the blues ones to years of miserable hockey. I'm guessing part of the process was going through focus groups after all.

I didn't realize many fans had that very association, but after conversations on here, other boards, and in person, it seems to be a common one.

I think the thought process is that people will miss the Blue after a season or two and then they can make it the official color again, and everyone will go out and buy a blue jersey.

profit.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
From the article:
The theme will be a simple: ‘Let’s Go Oilers.’

With the change to using the orange jerseys in the playoffs, they should have made the theme "Orange you glad we made the playoffs?" :dunno: :laugh:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
You think Philly. That's worse. Hate Philly.

different orange, to my eyes at least

anywho

Bob said the jerseys will be different next year too... small differences. I am interested to see what the new ones will look like and what the small changes will be.

I predict more orange in the road whites... at the cost of some of the blue and white areas.

I would love for someone with a scoop on this to come forward. Maybe they actually adjust the logo color scheme too (maybe to the WHA original using Orange predominantly--the background. copper oil drop was always a nice touch IMHO)

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
different orange, to my eyes at least

anywho

Bob said the jerseys will be different next year too... small differences. I am interested to see what the new ones will look like and what the small changes will be.

I predict more orange in the road whites... at the cost of some of the blue and white areas.

I would love for someone with a scoop on this to come forward. Maybe they actually adjust the logo color scheme too (maybe to the WHA original using Orange predominantly--the background. copper oil drop was always a nice touch IMHO)

http://news.****************/2017/03/29/oilers-confirm-report-orange-jerseys-at-home/

Edit: whoops. It's supposed to be a link to a website that starts with an s and ends with an s, with a portslogo in the middle. They are "hearing" that the changes will be minor changes to the road whites.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Dislike.

The blues are the best jerseys in hockey IMO. Oranges are good as a 3rd but in no way should be taking over as primaries.

Totally agree. I love the blue jerseys, all the Oilers jerseys i have purchased have always been the blue ones.....just not a fan of the orange ones at all.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I doubt they put that much effort into market research of any kind.

You answered your own question. The league said dump the third jersey. Which sells better right now? Blue or Orange? Orange. Decision made.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Unfortunately, you don't even need the sarcasm smiley. :shakehead

lol @ fuswald's comment.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
LOVE IT!!!! The Orange is unique to the Canadian teams in the league and they are associated with McDavid as an Oiler. While I've been alive and a fan (born '88, fan since '94), the Oilers worst seasons have been with the blue jersey. They are nice looking sweaters but the blue sweaters going away for a bit is fine by me. It was the copper and blue they started making the playoffs again with and made it to the cup final in '06. It was the dark ages when they brought back the blue and orange, and it is with these current orange's we're seeing a resurgence again.

Let the blue sweaters hang in the hall ways for a bit again and allow them to be celebrated with the 80's teams, the Orange has taken over, tweak the whites so the striping matches the orange, and when we can have 3rds again, let the navy blue/copper sweaters of 96-08 be those thirds.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Love the Blue jersey. Hate the Orange ones. Shame that they are ditching the Stanley Cup history of the team and going orange. I can live with it as a third occasionally, but not permanently.

Would also like to see the NHL go Whites for all home teams and colours for away team. Would be cool to see all the varying colours when a new team pays a visit.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I've always loved our colors & thought they were one of the sharper looking league wide so I'm not too happy to see this confirmed although not surprised. Won't make me less of a fan of the team so there's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->