Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A guy like Vermette didn't produce right away in our bottom 6 either.

Pageau is still a very young player - there's what, 6 months difference in age between him and Zibanejad?

I'm not averse to trying different combinations depending on on-ice play.

We're not going to see the same lines all year long anyway, even without injuries.

I guess the point of this post is that I am not uncomfortable with either guy in the top 6 to start out the season.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If they do keep Hofmann - Turris - Stone together, it'll cost Murray a ton on the next contract for Hofmann!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Noticed that as well, I think Max Talbot is an upgrade over Smith and would fit our 4th line quite well, it also doesn't hurt that he's a lefty too. Not sure what his cap hit looks like though.

Talbot was pretty bad last year... even if he's a negligible upgrade on Smith, there's no way we add another contract without one going out the door in exchange.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Switch Milo and Prince and I agree completely.

Our fourth line will be useless, but Prince could fit into Condra's role much better than Milo. Milo's going to provide scoring depth in case of an injury, but playing with Smith and Chiasson is where he belongs.

I would love to drop Smith and get an upgraded 2-way forward to play with Milo and Chiasson which could make them somewhat effective.

lol only in Ottawa, we must be freaking good

Michalek would be a 2nd liner on many teams, Chiasson would be a 3rd liner on many teams as well and Smith would even be a 3rd liner on some teams. Looks like we are SUPER deep.

Anderson - O'Connor to start the season.
Smart man to sign with a team that has bad goalie depth in addition to a history of goalie injuries.

Do not agree (please show other teams goalie depth to prove your point)

Anderson
Lehner
Hammond
Driedger
Hogberg

I think O'Connor was told that Lehner was going to get traded... He also knew that Anderson is 34 y/o, so that he only has a few good years left. He knew he only had to beat Hammond (which frankly shouldn't be too hard) and then compete with 2 good prospects but who are younger than him and far from a certainty in Hogberg & Driedger

I have to say, I believe if people had been watching Wideman through the same lens they are watching Cowen (basically, waiting for any mistake or misstep), they would be no more happy with him in the starting line-up.

Wideman may yet turn it around, but I've been unimpressed. On the other hand, there have at least been times I've been happy with the Cowen has played at the NHL level. Wideman has no NHL experience to really lean on here.

And let's not forget - despite his NHL tenure, Cowen is a full year younger than Wideman. It's not like Wideman has all of this unfulfilled potential that Cowen is taking away in terms of ice-time.

Now don't get me wrong, I want to hang on to Wideman and see what he can do still. He deserves a look. But I'm just surprised by the likes of our team bloggers and some fans on these boards, basically posting on every Cowen shift, every mistake he makes. Kind of reminds me of Leaf fans chasing Murphy out of T.O. a few decades ago, only to watch him win a few cups as part of the Wings top 4. Some times fans see what they want to see.

Perhaps Cowen should and will be moved. In some ways, it seems like our fan base has turned on a player, it is really almost impossible despite what they do, to turn the fans around. Hopefully Murray and Cameron continue to give that vocal minority of our fan base the one-finger salute in terms of letting their demands dictate who plays. As Marv Levy used to say, if you start listening to the fans, you better be ready to start sitting with them.

This post is bang on... I call it "over scrutiny" or "putting a microscope Under a player". I agree when you look at Wideman defensively, he surely doesn't look better than Cowen. He brings more offensively of course, but you'd have to be biased to say he is better defensively. Both are adequate at the NHL level for now, but Cowen has a lot more room to grow, he could be a wall if he ever finds his comfort zone.

Also, never heard about that quote from Mark Levy, this is gold lol

A guy like Sergei Gonchar really changed fan opinions for the better with his play after a rather poor start.

You're not wrong but on that particular exemple, the opinion of objective fans changed but for the usual biased ones, it took as long as once Gonchar was gone to realize that he was actually giving quality quality minutes to the team.

The same can be said for this. High energy players should never be mistaken for 3rd-4th liners. Pageau was one of the most skilled guys in Binghampton, and is easily one of the more skilled guys I've seen in the Q in the last 5 years.

He has a lot of skill, and has the skill and I.Q to fit in a scoring role if needed. Ideally, he is on your 3rd line.

Really? That's interesting... What was his competition? Please name a few players that were among the most skilled you've seen

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
^Wideman was better than Cowen offensively and defensively.

I don't feel the need to compare him to Cowen. But he did look pretty good in all aspects of the game.

I remember vs Montreal last preseason game. He gets the puck on the bench side of the ice at the opposition point. Montreal is changing. Sens guy is kinda open through 3/4 Montreal bodies. Tries to shoot it through or into the Montreal bodies on the bench. Three outcomes were possible. Penalty for extra men. Gets through and Ottawa has an odd man break. Bounces around in the neutral zone and nothing bad happens. The third happened. But it was so heads up a play. Wideman is confident. Skilled. Smart. Great along the boards. I think he will be better defensively then many suspect and gain a full time spot in the top 6 very soon.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess I have a different mentality than a majority of the posters here.

Put your most talented players together, and have them figure it out.

I am sure the sens would love to do that with Zibanejad but unfortunately he came into camp unprepared and his play showed. So right now Pageau like last year has outplayed Zibanejad and in my opinion should play in front of him until Zibby shows he deserves to be there.

I don't feel the need to compare him to Cowen. But he did look pretty good in all aspects of the game.

I remember vs Montreal last preseason game. He gets the puck on the bench side of the ice at the opposition point. Montreal is changing. Sens guy is kinda open through 3/4 Montreal bodies. Tries to shoot it through or into the Montreal bodies on the bench. Three outcomes were possible. Penalty for extra men. Gets through and Ottawa has an odd man break. Bounces around in the neutral zone and nothing bad happens. The third happened. But it was so heads up a play. Wideman is confident. Skilled. Smart. Great along the boards. I think he will be better defensively then many suspect and gain a full time spot in the top 6 very soon.

He should already be a starter, putting Boro or Cowen in a position they cannot succeed in doesnt make sense now matter how much you want that to work in a lineup.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Really? That's interesting... What was his competition? Please name a few players that were among the most skilled you've seen

In my opinion, of around 10-15 games a year since 10-11 up until last year where I saw a lot more:

Huberdeau
Phillips
Mackinnon
Drouin
Sprong
Svechnikov
Jurco
Couturier
Mantha
Duclair
Andrighetto
Ehlers
Barbashev
Aube-Kubel
Grigorenko

Since 2010, these are the most skilled pro prospects at the forward position, with Huberdeau, Makinnon, Ehlers and Drouin on another level. IMO an argument could be made for Pageau over almost all these other guys from their peaks in the Q.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
In my opinion, of around 10-15 games a year since 10-11 up until last year where I saw a lot more:

Huberdeau
Phillips
Mackinnon
Drouin
Sprong
Svechnikov
Jurco
Couturier
Mantha
Duclair
Andrighetto
Ehlers
Barbashev
Aube-Kubel
Grigorenko

Since 2010, these are the most skilled pro prospects at the forward position, with Huberdeau, Makinnon, Ehlers and Drouin on another level. IMO an argument could be made for Pageau over almost all these other guys from their peaks in the Q.

I think the Sens drafted Pageau because he met two of those guys who were top prospects his draft year and he outperformed them in two consecutive series in the playoffs.

Pageau is a motor with skill. He hasn't been asked to make goal scoring winners score yet in the NHL. Will he? Well anyone who ever bet against Pageau lost. Guy is an assassin. I won't bet against him. Ever. Put him in a position to succeed. He probably will.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I think the Sens drafted Pageau because he met two of those guys who were top prospects his draft year and he outperformed them in two consecutive series in the playoffs.

Pageau is a motor with skill. He hasn't been asked to make goal scoring winners score yet in the NHL. Will he? Well anyone who ever bet against Pageau lost. Guy is an assassin. I won't bet against him. Ever. Put him in a position to succeed. He probably will.

That guy was Sean Couturier

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would like to see Pageau play with some skilled offensive players as I think his speed and tenacity could serve them well. Some players I have in mind include: Hoffman, Prince, Lazar, MacArthur, and anyone else with some first three step quickness acceleration. Could be very dynamic and a good two-way line.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would like to see Pageau play with some skilled offensive players as I think his speed and tenacity could serve them well. Some players I have in mind include: Hoffman, Prince, Lazar, MacArthur, and anyone else with some first three step quickness acceleration. Could be very dynamic and a good two-way line.

Prince-Pageau-Macarthur would be the best 3rd line we've had since Schaefer-Fisher-xxxxx

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He's talking about Huberdeau and Couturier

Yeah I am. I think he wore the same number as one of them and Murray told his guys to try to draft both #whatever... Whatever the legend is.

I could look it up but I won't.

Pageau is really freaking good. Even if all he is, is what he is now. But he could very easily be more.

I like a guy that is balls out in preseason, in junior, in the AHL.... That is a pretty good bet he will be balls out every game. And every playoff game.

It is hard to take as a bit of criticism that a guy is so balls out with his motor in the preseason that he looks better then he is or something. That is the kind of criticism I would like as a player. If your motor and compete level is infinite... In any and all situations... You are a player I would try in all situations.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah I am. I think he wore the same number as one of them and Murray told his guys to try to draft both #whatever... Whatever the legend is.

Pageau is really freaking good. Even if all he is, is what he is now. But he could very easily be more.

I like a guy that is balls out in preseason, in junior, in the AHL.... That is a pretty good bet he will be balls out every game. And every playoff game.

It is hard to take as a bit of criticism that a guy is so balls out with his motor in the preseason that he looks better then he is or something. That is the kind of criticism I would like as a player. If your motor and compete level is infinite... In any and all situations... You are a player I would try in all situations.

He and Huberdeau both wore #11, there to scout Huberdeau for our pick (5th at the time) he told Dorian to just draft both 11's.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Pageau has a lot of offense to offer and the Sens will find that out this year.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Play Pageau with some real offensively talented wingers and he'll surprise us the same way Foligno did when he got to play with top talent.

So let's try it now while he's still reaching for his potential instead of having him fall into a grinder role. I really liked what Bonktastic suggested below. Why not try that while Zibby is still finding his legs?

1A: Hoffman-Turris-Stone
2A: Michalek-Pageau-Ryan
2B: MacArthur-Zibanejad-Lazar
4th: some combination of Prince/Smith/Chiasson/Neil/Puempel

... assuming the 2A line has chemistry, that looks really nice come April.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Pageau-Ryan
MacArthur-Zibanejad-Lazar
Prince-Smith-Chiasson

I made that without reading through the thread. I see Bonk had the same idea.

I like the practice lines other than no MacArthur.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Play Pageau with some real offensively talented wingers and he'll surprise us the same way Foligno did when he got to play with top talent.

So let's try it now while he's still reaching for his potential instead of having him fall into a grinder role. I really liked what Bonktastic suggested below. Why not try that while Zibby is still finding his legs?

Michalek is not offensively talented.

BigBush*

MacArthur being injured to start the season could be a blessing in disguise. It could give Prince a look in the top 6 and he could really break out there.

It sucks that MacArthur is injured, but he's not a guy the forward group really relies on like Stone, Turris, and Hoffman

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Lazar
Prince-Pageau-Ryan
Chiasson-Smith-Neil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad