Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by playasRus, Jun 28, 2015.

1. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

It's not that simple.

We had injuries to the key players at each position (Karlsson, Spezza and Anderson) and still made the playoffs and then knocked the Habs out in the first round.

As for this season, some guys aren't going to play as well as last year and some guys are going to play better.

I don't think we'll be as bad as we were in that first half last year in this season so we won't have to play at that same level as we did in the second half.

But who knows?

You take Subban, Patches and Price out of the lineup and will the Habs be able to equal what the pesky Sens did?

Games aren't played on paper.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

While I like the first line, and consider the others as promising, I would never say that they are "essentially excellent". I view the Senators as a bubble playoff team because of their play over all of last season so as not to get too irrationally exuberant over the Hamburlar miracle during the last part of the season.

This coming season looks to be an entertaining one and I hope the Senators make the playoffs handily and win at least one playoff series, if not two. That would be very good progress for this team at this stage.

I am not as negative as you are about Chiasson as I think he has potential but he needs to prove he can play better than he did last year. Neil is a warrior and deserves some respect for all he has done, however this will likely be his last year on the team and probably his last in the NHL too.

3. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

So excited for this season :hyper:

The young guys are taking over.

Ceci, Stone, Hoffman, Zibanejad are all guys who took big steps forward last season, and I can only see them improving. Ceci looked great in pre-season, I think he'll hit another gear this season.

And then there's a guy like Wiercioch who if he keeps up his good play from the end of last season including the WJC where he ended up being one of CAN's better dmen, who knows what can happen with this team.

We're super young but at the same time we don't have any rookies other than Prince and our sophomores aren't exactly young either (Stone 23, Hoffman 25).

This team could really hit a new level this season and just one addition by Murray could put us over the top (top-6 F or top-4 D, depending).

4. operasen

operasen Registered User

And pushing the envelope on the forward side:

Paul (Smith), Dzingel (Michalek), McCormick (Neil) and Lindberg (Chiasson)

5. HispanicAtTheDisco

HispanicAtTheDisco Registered User

Student
    We apparently have the third youngest team in the league at 26.6. Only Buffalo and Edmonton are younger at 26.5

6. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

Is that with Phillips in or out?

7. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

I watched the WCs.

He played fairly well but was not one of Canada's better d-men and that team was the most stacked I've seen in years.

8. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

I thought he worked his way up the depth chart on D and ended up being a top 4 D on the team whereas he started as a bottom pairing guy.

9. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

He was used on the 2nd PP unit but his overall contribution wasn't huge.

Brent Burns was the monster on D. Very impressed with that guy.

If you look at the statistics, the defensive scoring leaders were as follows (with ice time in the final in brackets):

B. Burns 2-10-12 (23:12)
    J. Muzzin 0-8-8 (17:27)
    A. Ekblad 4-3-7 (13:43)
    T. Barrie 1-5-6 (19:01)
    D. Hamhuis 0-6-6 (22:11)
    P. Wiercioch 1-3-4 (8:47)
    D. Savard 0-4-4 (9:56)

They ran 7 D.

10. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

That number seems off.

With everyone on the roster (including Phillips and Hammond/O'Connor) we are 26.75

Without Hammond and Phillips: 26.23

Withouth Phillips, or O'Connor, but with Hammond: 26.41

Everyone but Phillips: 26.3

Closest I can come up with is no Phillips, or O'Connor, with Hammond, but drop Puempel: 26.58

11. Walter White

Walter White Registered User

I still don't like Weircioch in the top 4, but starting to get used to it. I could look good on team Canada too. His lack of strenght and his poor footspeed are sometimes killing us in the D-zone and I can't stand watching him being behind the play. I'll give him he has some good tools on offense and a good first pass but I'd like us to acquire a top 4 Dman (easier said than done).

I'd start with

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
    Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
    Michalek-Pageau-Lazar
    Prince-Smith-Chiasson

Methot-Karlsson
    Weircioch (ugh) - Ceci
    Cowen-Boro

Andy

Now I know Neil will be in the line-up for sure, he has been a warrior for this club and I respect a lot what he has done for us, that being said it's a shame to see how behind the play he is nowadays, he's killing a line he's on and gets stupid penalties.
    1st line has proven to be effective, I put Hoffman on the 2nd line because I think Ryan and Zib need some speed and skill on their line, not a player like Michalek or Lazar. 3rd unit will be good because they are very good at checking and at working along the boards so I think it'll be fine, 4th line is 4th line. Make Prince move up when deserved and other player slumping

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  12. topshelf15

topshelf15 Registered User

Him and Cowen have been holding that defense back far too much ,Chabot cant get here soon enough ,so we can rid ourselves of both :handclap:

13. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

Some d-men just take a little while to develop.

I think we've been spoiled with guys like Karlsson and Ceci.

Whether they'll continue to develop in Ottawa is an open question.

Still, Wiercioch is 25 years old. So I'll give you that. I think the team will be watching him pretty closely this year. He was on the block as recently as last season.

Cowen will be 25 in January.

I'd say this season might be make or break for both guys as far as future d-men in the Ottawa system.

14. topshelf15

I know you are right ,but it really has been wtf with these two .One of them needs to step up and just take that number 4 slot

15. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

Yup, it's put up or shut up time.

16. Walter White

Walter White Registered User

Exactly what I've been saying before the year, I think it is the year one of them steps up or then we look elsewhere. I just get so annoyed watching them like Weir losing battles to guys like Desharnais along the boards, when he gets the puck sometimes he gets caught up too because his footspeed is so awful, I cried when they put him at 3on3 the other day, god damn man. Cowen has all the tools but no toolbox it seems. Tries to do way too much sometimes and makes poor decision, I think he has looked better each game this pre-season though and I hope he continues

17. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

Honestly, I started writing that post and then checked their ages midway through it.

25 and 24 turning 25. Really?

Wow time flies.

18. topshelf15

How i feel pretty much, but with more rage :laugh:

19. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

I think it is just a matter of time before we see Prince & Wideman as permanent players on this roster & maybe Puempel too. There are at least a couple of guys who could be suspect to lose there starting jobs like Chiasson, Wiercioch, Cowen or Boroweicki. There will be a lot of pressure on those guys & most eyes will be watching & calling for it, soon enough.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
    Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
    Hoffman - Zibanejad - Lazar (Zibby is assigned to the 3rd line for not coming to TC in shape).
    Chiasson - Z. Smith - Neil/Prince

Methot - Karlsson
    Wiercioch - Ceci
    Cowen - Boroweicki/Wideman/ Phillips IR

Anderson - O'Connor/Hammond IR

20. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

I wince when I see that.

Prove me wrong boys!

21. SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser Registered User

Home Page:
    No, you have reason to wince. As someone said earlier in the thread, the team that should have won the Cup, didn't because of the depth on the forwards IMO. We need 4 lines that can come out with speed and skill and play a 200 foot game - and it's definitely not too much to ask in this day and age. Lots and lots of young players are chomping at the bit to play.

If you ask me, there's no way in the world both Chiasson and Neil should play together - basically ever. One of them should sit on a nightly basis. Smith looked pretty good in pre-season, but he's on a really short leash as well IMO. Would it be so bad to have McCormick in his spot? I really don't think so.

That fourth line annoys me to no end. We can trot out 9 forwards who can play a 200 foot game and put the puck in the net, but the 4th line kills that momentum very quickly. The best thing we can hope for when we see them hop the boards is that they can maintain possession of the puck for more than 20% of their shift and soften up opponents D. I look forward to the days when we can have a McCormick, Dzingel, Prince 4th line (for example).

22. Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think & Yet & Yet

I thought Chiasson had a decent enough to camp to earn a shot at redemption

Unlike Weircioch

23. SlapJack

SlapJack Scum bag Sens

I really like Smith as the 4th line centre. I think if they keep him there instead of moving him to wing, he'll do a lot better. He was awful on the wing.

24. God Says No

God Says No Registered User

Chiasson was ok. But he had a good camp last year as well. Then quickly went downhill. We'll see if he repeats himself.

As for Wier, he didn't have the greatest exhibition game performance but you don't know what kind of camp he had in general. Also, you just can't biases go, can you? You already got served once last year when Wier was actually good in the second half. It'll be fun to remind you again when he hopefully carries that play into this year.

25. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

I disagree but understand your point of view as well as with others on here but I'm still not there yet. I still want a 4th line that punishes the other team's defence & I still want guys on the 4th line that will defend their teammates. Given how hard Neil worked this off season & having been such a good loyal soldier for this organization I still want him on my team at least until the end of this season. I also still like Smith as our 4th line centre because he is pretty good at faceoffs & plays with an edge.

Next yr Phillips & Neil will both most likely be gone & I expect during this yr a couple of other positions/players will also be decided this season. Fans just have to be patient for one more season & I think some of the things people are talking about the organization doing will play themselves out with the respect that should be given to loyal players. The NhL is transitioning & so are the Sens.