Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
LMFAO, listen, I may hate on Michalek and blah blah blah but if he's in your top 6 or any top 6, it's a bubble team unless he's being carried by a superstar or 2.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Ryan

Even though the most optimal option really:

(acquire top liner)-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar

BigBush*

LMFAO, listen, I may hate on Michalek and blah blah blah but if he's in your top 6 or any top 6, it's a bubble team unless he's being carried by a superstar or 2.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Ryan

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar

I'm not sure if its possible to aquire a top line winger better then Hoffman

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm not sure if its possible to aquire a top line winger better then Hoffman

The top line winger is for Zib's line rather than replacing Hoffman. Since we don't a legitimate or stand out number 1 C we need great wingers to compete for cup.

Ryan
Stone

On right side can definitelyyyyy work

Hoffman
MacArthur

is a bit weaker unless MacArthur has stand out year and even more so if it's Milo in that spot.

Now imagine if Ryan doesn't play to what he needs to, then you REALLy need stand out LW on the other wing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
^Wideman was better than Cowen offensively and defensively.

We're not going to all agree on this, but based on actual popularity, I know where this is going...

In my opinion, of around 10-15 games a year since 10-11 up until last year where I saw a lot more:

Huberdeau
Grigorenko

Since 2010, these are the most skilled pro prospects at the forward position, with Huberdeau, Makinnon, Ehlers and Drouin on another level. IMO an argument could be made for Pageau over almost all these other guys from their peaks in the Q.

Ok thanks, that's that kind of stuff I like to read on HF and since you seem to have a lot of Q knowledge, it becomes really interesting. Pageau is a jack-of-all-trades but maybe I have been underestimating his skill level, never thought he could be more than a 3rd liner so far. But like in Hoffman's case, I would gladly like to be proven wrong

Note : my favorite player in that bunch is Ehlers. He's just wow

Prince-Pageau-Macarthur would be the best 3rd line we've had since Schaefer-Fisher-xxxxx

I'd rather have MacA on the left.

If Prince is good enough, look at that option :

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Pageau-Michalek
Lazar-Smith-Chiasson/Neil

Michalek is not offensively talented.

So that would mean that not a lot of NHL forwards are...

In Points per 60 minutes at 5 on 5, here's how he finished among his peers :

2014-15 : 189/499
2013-14 : 230/516
2012-13 : 138/481 (was injured, only 23 games)
2011-12 : 101/527
2010-11 : 282/524
2009-10 : 294/500

That's not superstar numbers but still better than the average NHL forward = top-6 production. Had a slow start with Ottawa but he was consistently dealing with injuries while adjusting to a new team that was going into a rebuild.

In Points per 60 minutes in PP situations :

2014-15 : 74/252
2013-14 : 164/260
2012-13 : 181/208 (was injured, only 23 games)
2011-12 : 96/235
2010-11 : 242/259
2009-10 : 111/251

Very inconsistent when it comes to PP production but in most years, he's been above average...

I'm doing all this work but I kinda forgot that Michalek has been pegged as useless on this board and purely a product of his linemates. My bad.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, a very interesting twist by Cameron in practice, and sounds like these will be the opening night lines...

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zib - Lazar
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson
Prince - Smith - Neil.

A few things right off the bat...

Ryan on the left side is interesting, mostly because we haven't really experimented with this much since he arrived. Presumably Cameron ran this by Bobby - who needs to have a strong start to get the clear invisible piano off his back - and I could see him being pretty comfortable with his versatile stick skills, to come off the off wing. The one timer will be there at least. He did play the left side with Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim for extended periods, so it's not totally foreign for him. Still, the entire organization really needs Ryan to get off to a decent start so late last season becomes a distant memory, rather than a perceived trend. Can't say that it looks like Cameron is worried about it though.

The second point of this is the move seems to have been done to allow Chiasson to switch over to the right side, where he is more comfortable. Certainly interesting to see Cameron make a move that potentially sacrifices some efficiency of Ryan for Chiasson, unless again, Ryan endorsed the move in some way and sees himself equally adept at both sides (Chiasson has said he simply isn't as comfortable defensively on the left side). It's an eye brow raiser though.

Finally, there is the appearance of a promotion for Lazar, who jumps into a very interesting line with Ryan and Zib. This too might have been the cause of the Ryan's shift to the left to a degree. They wanted Lazar with these guys. At first glance, I'm not sure I get it, as neither Lazar or Zib are talented playmakers per se, which really puts a lot of pressure on Ryan to be the straw that stirs the drink on this line. And he is supposed to be a goal scorer at the end of the day, not a dishman. That said, perhaps that's the plan, to basically allow Ryan to be a bit more of the focal point of the line. The line should be able to cycle pretty well, so there's at least that.

Overall, it's a curious move to have the 2nd and 3rd lines put together that I don't think ever played together in preseason, although I wasn't keeping that close track. I do like the top line, and can't say I'm really that concerned about these moves either. Easy enough to switch'em up, after all.

No other surprises, although I'm sure many fans will be up in arms given Wideman appears to be the healthy scratch, with Boro and Cowen a pair. God help them if they allow a goal or make a mistake, because this board might in fact blow up at their first mistake.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Curious is the right word.

I could see 3 out of 4 lines not clicking because we have odd mixes of slow players with fast players.

In Cameron we trust.

Dr. Sens(e) said:
The second point of this is the move seems to have been done to allow Chiasson to switch over to the right side, where he is more comfortable. Certainly interesting to see Cameron make a move that potentially sacrifices some efficiency of Ryan for Chiasson, unless again, Ryan endorsed the move in some way and sees himself equally adept at both sides (Chiasson has said he simply isn't as comfortable defensively on the left side). It's an eye brow raiser though.

If I were a betting man, Chiasson would be the guy I would pick to be on a different team by the deadline. Not sure he quite fits in. Seems to be rather high-maintenance for a guy who lost his top 6 spot. Happy to be wrong of course.

Dr. Sens(e) said:
No other surprises, although I'm sure many fans will be up in arms given Wideman appears to be the healthy scratch, with Boro and Cowen a pair. God help them if they allow a goal or make a mistake, because this board might in fact blow up at their first mistake.

I don't care about GA as much as I do extended periods of being hemmed in our own zone.

That's what I'll be watching for. It was an issue with Gryba and Boro so let's see if Cowen can make a difference.

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
Well, a very interesting twist by Cameron in practice, and sounds like these will be the opening night lines...

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zib - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Neil.

I really hope that second line works out. I'd love to see ryan/zib/lazar wear down the other teams defense with a strong offensive cycle (shades of getzlaf/perry/ryan?).
We have 2 struggling players with Pageau, but he will still probably carry our 3rd line like he normally does.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Ryan

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar

i'm pretty much right there with you RKL

need to see what kind of chemistry zib can develop with.....anyone.
i like hoff and stone together, i like mac and ryan together And i would like to see that prince-zib-ryan line.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zib - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Neil.

A few things right off the bat...

Ryan on the left side is interesting, mostly because we haven't really experimented with this much since he arrived. Presumably Cameron ran this by Bobby - who needs to have a strong start to get the clear invisible piano off his back - and I could see him being pretty comfortable with his versatile stick skills, to come off the off wing. The one timer will be there at least. He did play the left side with Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim for extended periods, so it's not totally foreign for him. Still, the entire organization really needs Ryan to get off to a decent start so late last season becomes a distant memory, rather than a perceived trend. Can't say that it looks like Cameron is worried about it though.

Finally, there is the appearance of a promotion for Lazar, who jumps into a very interesting line with Ryan and Zib. This too might have been the cause of the Ryan's shift to the left to a degree. They wanted Lazar with these guys. At first glance, I'm not sure I get it, as neither Lazar or Zib are talented playmakers per se, which really puts a lot of pressure on Ryan to be the straw that stirs the drink on this line. And he is supposed to be a goal scorer at the end of the day, not a dishman. That said, perhaps that's the plan, to basically allow Ryan to be a bit more of the focal point of the line. The line should be able to cycle pretty well, so there's at least that.

Overall, it's a curious move to have the 2nd and 3rd lines put together that I don't think ever played together in preseason, although I wasn't keeping that close track. I do like the top line, and can't say I'm really that concerned about these moves either. Easy enough to switch'em up, after all.

Interesting because last year when Mac was hurt they put up Michalek and that line tore it up for a while. I guess Hoffman must have had an insane camp to be on our top line or Michalek had a poor camp.

I do not like that second line. Slow and poor stick handling.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I'm confused. Cameron had two weeks of games to experiment with lines and he goes with a second line he hasn't tried? I don't hate it, and I know Mac going down changed things, but this feels like guesswork to me. And I wish he's stop putting the little skill we have on the 4th line - Hoff didn't belong there in the playoffs and Prince certainly doesn't belong there now.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Prince - Zibby/Pageau - Ryan
Michalek - Pageau/Zibby - Lazar
Chia - Smith - Neil

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Breaking new and great news:

MacArthur is on the practice ice this morning and not wearing a "no contact" jersey which is a really good sign.

Confirmed by TSN1200 @ 10:30am.

Likely more details after practice.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Interesting because last year when Mac was hurt they put up Michalek and that line tore it up for a while. I guess Hoffman must have had an insane camp to be on our top line or Michalek had a poor camp.

I think it's worth noting that once MacArthur returned from injury and was back in his spot with turris and stone he went ppg in his last ten games. Maybe turris and stone were just super hot and as long as you weren't terrible you were going to put up so numbers whether it be mm or Mac

Last edited:

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Presumably Cameron ran this by Bobby - who needs to have a strong start to get the clear invisible piano off his back -

obama-blank-stare.jpg

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Same. Zib and Ryan can't be together. I'd switch Ryan and Stone.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zib - Lazar
Prince - Smith - Neil.

A few things right off the bat....

Strong points.

With MacArthur back, I'm hoping they ease him in

Hoffman - Turris - Stone This is a keeper
Ryan - Pageau - Lazar Let's see if there is chemistry. Pageau and lazar have some
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Michalek Lots of support for Zbad in MacArthur
Prince - Smith - Chiasson/Neil Too bad for Prince if Smith can't get started
Neil/Chiasson

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zibanejad- Prince
Lazar- Pageau -Puempel
Michalek - Smith - MacArthur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's worth noting that once MacArthur returned from injury and was back in his spot with uterus and stone he went ppg in his last ten games. Maybe turris and stone were just super hot and as long as you weren't terrible you were going to put up so numbers whether it be mm or Mac

That's a little harsh on Turris don't you think...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zibanejad- Prince
Lazar- Pageau -Puempel
Michalek - Smith - MacArthur

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Prince - Zibanejad - Ryan
Puempel - Pageau - Lazar
MacArthur - Smith - Michalek

I could get behind that

Ad