Line Combos: Opening Night Roster

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
yup, i agree. i hope we are aggressive but can make big moves without giving up Paul, Chabot, White, or Lindberg

Yeah, it'll be tough to get something good without giving up at least one of them though. Let's keep a watch on Bingo to see which are untouchable.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What a difference it can make when Mika and Ryan, playing together, make it hard to tell which is the first line. Changes everything. That is my biggest wish for this season, that this becomes our #1 dispute - which is the top line.

Yea, Hoffman-Zib-Ryan has ability to be a number 1 line in the league. One that can carry the team against almost any type of competition too.

Ryan needs to get going though, Zib will be inevitable.

BigBush*

Yea, Hoffman-Zib-Ryan has ability to be a number 1 line in the league. One that can carry the team against almost any type of competition too.

Ryan needs to get going though, Zib will be inevitable.

i think thats a stretch. its a decent line but no way a number 1 line

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I created a machine that brings comic book heroes to life. Here is the roster i would like:

Thor-Turris-Stone
Batman-Zibanejad-Superman
Hoffman-Pageau-Ryan
Prince-Smith-Lazar

Captain America--Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Iron Man-Wideman

Hulk
Anderson

Thoughts?

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I created a machine that brings comic book heroes to life. Here is the roster i would like:

Thor-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Pageau-Ryan
Prince-Smith-Lazar

Methot-Ceci
Iron Man-Wideman

Hulk
Anderson

Thoughts?

I think Hulk would be better in a 13th forward or 7th defenseman role since his lack of quick reflexes could be an issue in the net, also his lack of creativity would be an issue if he is playing a regular role.

Thor and Karlsson would make an awesome top pair just based on the hair factor.

I would scratch Captain America and put the Flash on a line with Hoffman to dominate with their speed. Also I feel Batman is more suited in a utility role:sarcasm:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I got different results, but I was more concerned with wingers anyway.

I got Hoffman, Michlaek, MacArthur, Pince, Puempel, and Zack Smith are lefties.

Turris, Z-Bad, Stone, Neil, Chaisson, Lazar, and Ryan are righties.

For wingers we have Stone and Lazar as the only locks on the right side. On the Left, Macarthur and Hoffman are the only locks that i can see. Ryan and Michalek have played both and Michalek has actually stated he prefers right.

If we move Chaisson on 4th line LW to accommodate Neil I don't see why we're unwilling to move Prince/Puempel to RW to push Lazar down or over to centre. Something like thsi could be interesting...

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Pageau - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Prince
Chaisson/Puempel - Lazar/Smith - Neil/Chaisson

Lots of depth, lots of options anyway.

Pageau is a righty and Puempel probably isn't making the team out of camp. So that's 8-5 with the 13 players on the roster.Then Prince will probably sit more early on before he steals a permanent starting job from Neil / Chiasson. Also, I think the Chiasson on LW experiment will go badly and we'll realize that we can't shift most of the existing RW's over to LW.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
If Mac is out of the lineup for more than a week, we should shuffle the lines a bit.

Michalek-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Puempel-Pageau-Lazar
Chiasson-Smith-Prince

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Unless they think MacArthur will be gone for an extended period, I fully expect we'll see Puempel sent down to play with Bingo once their season is set to begin. I don't believe it starts until next weekend, so I think Murray has just been rewarding Puempel with an extended period to practice with the big club before Bingo actually needs him.

Prince will jump into the MacArthur's spot if he is out, otherwise Shane will probably alternate with Chiasson on the LW of the 4th line in the first week or so. Neil is the only natural RWer on that 4th line, so he gets the spot full time mostly for that reason, but also because he's looked good in his new slimmed down state. Plus, our forwards are pretty darned soft all around, so we will likely need at least one or two guys that throw a body check.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If Mac is out of the lineup for more than a week, we should shuffle the lines a bit.

Michalek-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Puempel-Pageau-Lazar
Chiasson-Smith-Prince

I'd be ok seeing Zibanejad center the 3rd line for a few weeks while Zib gets into proper peak game shape.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Pageau - Ryan
Prince - Zibanejad - Lazar
Chiasson - Smith - Neil/Puempel

(assuming MacArthur is out for a bit)

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I don't mind sticking Michalek up in the top 2 lines but he's a miserable fit with Ryan and Zibby imo. Zibby really isn't a top puck carrier and Ryan is okay at it but on the slow side. I actually think MacArthur is a great fit for that line as he's got wheels and is a good puck carrier. I think those two need that presence.

Hard to remove Hoffman from that top line now imo - he looks so impressive right now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't mind sticking Michalek up in the top 2 lines but he's a miserable fit with Ryan and Zibby imo. Zibby really isn't a top puck carrier and Ryan is okay at it but on the slow side.

I actually thought the preseason game when we iced the Michalek-Pageau-Ryan line was their best game, respectively. I thought they had a lot of chemistry together.

I'd like to see if they can build on that. It's worth a shot, especially with MacA on the sidelines for a bit. Having a guy like Prince play with Zibanejad might help both guys as well. Prince might help Zibby by driving possession on breakouts up the wing a bit, letting him focus more on creating space in the offensive zone and relieving him of the pressure of driving the play while he gets his legs under him.

Hard to remove Hoffman from that top line now imo - he looks so impressive right now.

Yep. Keep riding that horse until it gives you a reason not to.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Something I just thought of...

Prince and Zibanejad were really good in their first couple rookie tournaments together. Perhaps something to try for a couple of games...

Oct 10, 2010
Zbad and 9MM will be crap offensively more time than not as potential line mates with Ryan as needs to be with puck carriers to be at his absolute best.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Something I just thought of...

Prince and Zibanejad were really good in their first couple rookie tournaments together. Perhaps something to try for a couple of games...

I think Prince and Pageau will have good chemistry based on their speed and hockey IQ. But it seems good players seem to have chemistry with anyone they play with. eg. Stone, Alfie...

Always good when one of your centres, Pageau in this case, has the tendency to make other players on their line elevate. His line was one of the best 3rd's in the league second half last year, and already in preseason, Ryan had his best game alongside him.

Zibanejad might lose his ice time in a hurry if he doesn't pick it up.

Top 6 I'd like to eventually see

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Prince-Pageau-Ryan

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I cant imagine them not starting Hoffman with Turris and Stone. This gives the team a legit chance at a dominant first line that creates matchup problems.

Outside of Pageau and Prince I didnt think anyone else really stood out in camp. Id throw the rest into a blender and see what works.

Zibanejad sure had a weak camp again and to me Ryan has looked brutal. MacArthur also struggled I dont think handing them top 6 minutes makes sense. I know how much they are getting paid but if they arent producing then I dont think they should automatically get the ice if other players are playing well.

Chiasson is also not a natural LW hard for him to play out of position.

Hoffman Turris Stone
Michalek Pageau Ryan
MacArthur/Prince Zibanejad Lazar
Prince/Chiasson Smith Neil/Chiasson

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Thor-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Pageau-Ryan
Prince-Smith-Lazar

Methot-Ceci
Iron Man-Wideman

Hulk
Anderson

Thoughts?

You put Spider-Man in nets. You literally couldn't score on him on a deflection one inch from the goal line.

You don't dress Hulk. Come on in the new NHL I don't think Hulk would last 2 minutes without being suspended... Forever.

Needs more Iceman and the Silver Surfer.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Man, some of you are ridiculous.

Let's give minutes to the guys who have 26 combined NHL points in their career, over the guys who put up 50 pts last year.

It's great that Pageau and Prince have played well in preseason, but does anyone remember what happened in 2013/14?

Pageau cracked the roster ahead of Zibanejad, and proceeded to put up 2 points in 28 games. Zibanejad gets called up and puts up .47 PPG for the rest of the season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Let's give minutes to the guys who have 26 combined NHL points in their career, over the guys who put up 50 pts last year.

It's great that Pageau and Prince have played well in preseason, but does anyone remember what happened in 2013/14?

Pageau cracked the roster ahead of Zibanejad, and proceeded to put up 2 points in 28 games. Zibanejad gets called up and puts up .47 PPG for the rest of the season.

Not really the same case. We know what we have in Pageau, he is now a full time NHLer. I don't think it's a stretch to see him put up 45 points centering the 2nd line.

In saying that, Zib will be the 2nd line player, if not at the start of the year, by the 10 game mark. Pageau getting that spot may light a well needed fire under his rim

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not really the same case. We know what we have in Pageau, he is now a full time NHLer. I don't think it's a stretch to see him put up 45 points centering the 2nd line.

In saying that, Zib will be the 2nd line player, if not at the start of the year, by the 10 game mark. Pageau getting that spot may light a well needed fire under his rim

Yip, I'd have no issues with JGP starting on the second line with Milo and Ryan. At least Milo and Ryan had some chemistry when JGP was introduced. He's the C they need. A hustling fast player that will set them up. Zib should not be on that line. Zib, Milo and Ryan have similar skill sets, they are all mostly shooters.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I'm not saying we should play Pageau ahead of Zibanejad all season.

I am saying we might want to consider starting Pageau ahead of Zibanejad until Zib gets in tip-top game shape, which he isn't right now.

10 games, and then let's reassess at that point. I'm not saying Zib's a bad player at all, just that he showed up to camp in sloppy form, and he might need a bit of extra time to catch up to where he should be. If Zibby looks like he's up to speed after 10, give him the increased minutes he's earned.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I'm not saying we should play Pageau ahead of Zibanejad all season.

I am saying we might want to consider starting Pageau ahead of Zibanejad until Zib gets in tip-top game shape, which he isn't right now.

10 games, and then let's reassess at that point. I'm not saying Zib's a bad player at all, just that he showed up to camp in sloppy form, and he might need a bit of extra time to catch up to where he should be. If Zibby looks like he's up to speed after 10, give him the increased minutes he's earned.

Pageau had earned whatever role he gets. It is worth playing him with Ryan just to see if Pageau's offensive and playmaking skills he showcased in junior and the AHL translate to the NHL. He has never had linemates in the NHL that are scorers. Rookie Lazar, Condra.

If Zibby is not in shape.. No harm at all in trying Pageau with scorers on his wings for a short period and see what results. To see how good Pageau can be. If we have 3 centres capable of being on scoring lines we are in great shape.

And frankly to the above, above poster. At least with Pageau you aren't "giving" him minutes. Guy flat out has earned everything he has every got in the Sens organization. He is balls out at every aspect of the sport. Never complained when sent down due to contract and roster issues.

We shouldn't "give" Zibby anything he hasn't earned. He is a great young player... But he won't necessarily continue to be if he gets "given" opportunities he does the opposite of earn, by coming to camp two years in a row not in top shape.

This team should be about best players play. There is a legit argument Pageau is as good or better then Zibanejad now. And if Pageau does play 2C and is effective... Zibby might have lost his spot in the pecking order. Pageau might not be an NHL scoring line centre. But if he is... Then Zibby might have to work like a ******* to get his spot back from JGP.

I don't see any issue with Pageau getting to centre the 2nd line for awhile in these circumstances. Everyone will get to see how it works and if it doesn't then you go back to what we had last year in a few periods, a few games, a few weeks.... Whatever. If somehow Pageau works with Ryan perfectly then the team benefits and Zibby would be possibly great in the 3C or 2B centre roll with whomever he plays with.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Pageau had earned whatever role he gets. It is worth playing him with Ryan just to see if Pageau's offensive and playmaking skills he showcased in junior and the AHL translate to the NHL. He has never had linemates in the NHL that are scorers. Rookie Lazar, Condra.

If Zibby is not in shape.. No harm at all in trying Pageau with scorers on his wings for a short period and see what results. To see how good Pageau can be. If we have 3 centres capable of being on scoring lines we are in great shape.

And frankly to the above, above poster. At least with Pageau you aren't "giving" him minutes. Guy flat out has earned everything he has every got in the Sens organization. He is balls out at every aspect of the sport. Never complained when sent down due to contract and roster issues.

We shouldn't "give" Zibby anything he hasn't earned. He is a great young player... But he won't necessarily continue to be if he gets "given" opportunities he does the opposite of earn, by coming to camp two years in a row not in top shape.

This team should be about best players play. There is a legit argument Pageau is as good or better then Zibanejad now. And if Pageau does play 2C and is effective... Zibby might have lost his spot in the pecking order. Pageau might not be an NHL scoring line centre. But if he is... Then Zibby might have to work like a ******* to get his spot back from JGP.

I don't see any issue with Pageau getting to centre the 2nd line for awhile in these circumstances. Everyone will get to see how it works and if it doesn't then you go back to what we had last year in a few periods, a few games, a few weeks.... Whatever. If somehow Pageau works with Ryan perfectly then the team benefits and Zibby would be possibly great in the 3C or 2B centre roll with whomever he plays with.

Except, Pageau hasn't proven anything. He's proven he can play well against other team's AHL players, in meaningless games.

Zibanejad is a better player as proven by his NHL stats, if best players play, than it's Mika over Pageau.

We're literally having the exact same conversation as 2 years ago.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Except, Pageau hasn't proven anything. He's proven he can play well against other team's AHL players, in meaningless games.

Zibanejad is a better player as proven by his NHL stats, if best players play, than it's Mika over Pageau.

Who was better in the preseason? Who centred Ryan to his best preseason game?

Trying Pageau for a short period now with Ryan is going with the spirit of the philipsophy of the best players play.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Except it's who is currently playing the best when we say best player. In overall scheme of things, Zib is more talented than JGP. But currently JGP is playing better than him both offensively and defensively. Hence the best player should get the bump. As already mentioned, after Zib gets his feet back, he can be bumped back up. Or maybe not, it all depends on Zib.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad