Ontario Reign 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Sutter, Maillet, Bauman, Herr and Devane's AHL contract's all expire at the end of this season with ONT. Hoping Sutter and Maillet will return. Two key players. Wouldn't surprise me though if Maillet's agent isn't shopping him for a two-way deal somewhere. So at this point, there are no AHL only contracts with the Reign as of July 1.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've got some questions about Kings prospects/rookies who made their debut this season, so not necessarily just Reign players, but hopefully this is a good thread to post this in. I'm especially wanting to just know a bit about what type of player these guys are and what their future NHL outlook is. Thanks!

Blake Lizotte
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Austin Wagner
Matt Roy
Matt Luff
Sheldon Rempal
Carl Grundstrom
Sean Walker
Cal Peterson

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Budaj is probably the most popular player to play in Ontario since the Reign came to town in the AHL. He is an absolutely legend with the fans after his MVP season of 15-16 when his career rebounded from incredible lows. Good luck Peter in your future endeavors.
Did Budaj announce his retirement recently? If so, hats off to him.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I've got some questions about Kings prospects/rookies who made their debut this season, so not necessarily just Reign players, but hopefully this is a good thread to post this in. I'm especially wanting to just know a bit about what type of player these guys are and what their future NHL outlook is. Thanks!

Blake Lizotte
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Austin Wagner
Matt Roy
Matt Luff
Sheldon Rempal
Carl Grundstrom
Sean Walker
Cal Peterson

Blake Lizotte: No idea
JAD: 3rd line scoring center. Dude oozes character and determination. I think he definitely could be captain material. I think he makes the team next year, but wouldn't be surprised to see him in Ontario.
Austin Wagner: Speedy two way winger
Matt Roy: Never thought much of him when he was in college/Ontario, but he showed a lot of poise in the NHL. Could be a good bottom pairing defensemen. But who knows.
Matt Luff: 3rd line scoring winger. Kid seems really determined so who knows
Sheldon Rempal: Wasn't really impressed with him in his couple of stints in LA and slowed down a lot in Ontario to end the season so I'm not seeing a whole lot of potential.
Carl Grundstrom: Love this kid. He's got all the tools that you would want in a player and he brings more physicality along the wings which we have been lacking the last couple of years. Top 6 winger for sure.
Sean Walker: Really impressed me this season. He's extremely mobile along the blueline and anotherp layer we've been lacking.
Cal Petersen: Ignore the AHL stats, this guy is an NHL goalie.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm a little late to the party after the disastrous Reign and Kings season we all just witnessed, so bare with me, but I'm going to start with the player evaluation thread for Reign players from the past season. It's not going to be pretty. Some of the review sections will be left over tidbits of the players history from the previous review.

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Alex Lintuniemi
Position: LD
Shoots: L
Age at start of 2019-2020 season: 24
Size: 6-3 214
Draft position: 2nd round 2014 (60th overall)
How obtained: Drafted by Los Angeles
Years pro: 4
Prior season Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 64 G: 4 A: 20 PIM: 30 +/- : -6
2018-2019 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 67 G: 2 A: 23 PIM: 22 +/-: -30
Signed through: 2018-2019 season (RFA)

Review: Alex Lintuniemi was the last player chosen in the 2nd round of the 2014 NHL draft, thanks to the Kings coming off of a Stanley Cup championship. In what so far has turned out to be a down year for defensemen in the draft outside of Ekblad and possibly Montour as impact players in the NHL, Lintuniemi has been on a long-term development track. With good size and skating ability, it's easy to see why the Kings looked to Lintuniemi as someone who has the tools to be an NHL player. Still, you have to wonder if this pick was a bit of a reach after coming off of a team worst -38 season with the Ottawa 67's. Lintuniemi was ranked 187th by NHL central scouting. Lintuniemi began his pro development in the ECHL at age 20, as it was determined he was not quite ready to play at the AHL level quite yet after camp broke. The 2016-2017 campaign was his first AHL year, Lintuniemi played in only 41 of the 68 games. Most of the games missed that year was the coaches choice. In his second full AHL season, there were minor lapses in his judgement still on the "correct" play to make, but improvement was evident, and he was on a regularly pairing all season on the left side. Not particularly a physical player (he was in a lot better game shape starting in 17-18 than previous years) for his size, but not afraid of contact. Lintuniemi he has yet to be a plus player as a pro. He has been durable his last two AHL seasons, missing only 4 games total. While the team as a whole faltered, Lintuniemi peaked the previous season, as the 18-19 campaign for the 4th year pro was a defensive disaster (minus 30). He suffered all season from lapses in coverage and judgement, and often failed in making the correct or safe play. There were way too many moments I was left shaking my head, sort of a "what was he thinking" reaction. He was mostly relegated to the bottom pairing despite his experience with several new defensemen on the team. I would describe his entire 2018-2019 campaign as nonchalant, particularly in the 2nd half of the season, not exactly what you'd like to see for someone trying to get to the next level.

Outlook: There was some reason for hope for this 2nd round pick coming out of the 17-18 season, after he made some significant strides in his overall game and came off of a pretty good performance in the Calder Cup playoffs the season prior. However, those hopes have taken a stride backwards with what appeared to be a return to bad habits on the ice as his game suffered from consistency issues, bad judgment (particularly for a 4th year pro) and what I would describe as looking like a devil-may-care attitude at times on the ice. This does not bode well for his future with the Kings organization.

Chance for success at the next level: As I wrote last season, I suspected the Kings would give him a qualifying offer, which they did to the tune of a one-year, show me what you've got contract. I strongly believe it will be his last NHL deal, certainly with the Kings. He's an RFA, and I'd be very surprised with the arrival of so many new defensemen in Ontario this coming season that Lintuniemi will be given another chance. My bet is that he will not receive a QO at the end of June and become a UFA. Best option for Alex in my opinion is to go back to Finland to see if he can latch on in the SM-Liiga. It's hard to envision an NHL future for this prospect.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
OT from this but, not sure where to ask.

Any news on if the Kings are going to have an affiliation in the ECHL this season?

I guess this might explain why, as of now Ontario has only Sutter under contract for this season. Usually AHL teams will have a handful of guys on deals in the event they need to call up someone from the ECHL that has some familiarity with the club. Otherwise it’s ECHL guys on PTO’s.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
OT from this but, not sure where to ask.

Any news on if the Kings are going to have an affiliation in the ECHL this season?

I guess this might explain why, as of now Ontario has only Sutter under contract for this season. Usually AHL teams will have a handful of guys on deals in the event they need to call up someone from the ECHL that has some familiarity with the club. Otherwise it’s ECHL guys on PTO’s.

No announcement on the ECHL, but that really has nothing to do with AHL only guys being signed yet. It's pretty typical they are signed in July and August. In fact, when Sutter was announced in June, that was very unusual for the Reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad