Ontario Reign 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
The Reign scored 4 goals in the last 3 minutes of regulation plus 30 seconds of OT for an amazing comeback victory. Thanks to former Gulls and Ducks goon Mike Liambas for the 5 minute major boarding penalty, the Reign pulled Budaj and had a 6 on 4 advantage in the last 3 minutes of the contest and a 4 on 3 advantage in OT, pulled off the amazing comeback. What a snipe by Moulson to win it. I almost left early. So glad I didn't.

Not on this video, Liambas made a beeline hit nearly taking Sutter's head off. The ref put up his arm for that before the on the board ruff stuff. The scoresheet says the major was for charging, and a total of 27 PIMs. 14 more PIMs and Liambas ties MacD for the lead.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Who joins the reign next year?

JAD
Durzi
Phillips
Anderson?
Thomas
Sodergren(sp?)
Hultz
OHL goalies

JAD- Has shown he has the compete level and skating ability to play in the NHL, but his short stints professionally at the NHL and AHL level has revealed some strength and defensive deficiency. He could make the Kings out of camp, just depends on the depth of the team, but I think in the long run a year in the AHL at 20 years old would be the best overall course.

Durzi- Some questions arising about the health of his shoulder, he's in LA this week to have it examined here. Hopefully he's healthy and ready to compete for a spot on the Reign roster. Still needs to sign his ELC.

Phillips- He'll likely be signed to his ELC as soon as his OHL playoff run is done. Should have a good chance of making the Reign roster next season as a 20 year old.

Anderson- USA Team Captain is on the Kings radar, but he doesn't turn 20 until May. Only a sophomore like Hults, does he want to stay in school or turn pro? Defensemen take a long-time to develop, but it's not a huge issue for him to stay another year in college to get bigger and stronger. Looks undersized at times for the pro game.

Thomas- Akil is not old enough to play on the Reign next season as he has an early January birthday. It's either the NHL or the OHL. It will be the OHL.

Sodergran- I hope they sign him and bring him over. Already playing in a men's league at 19, it may be a matter of choosing what the player wants and what's best for his development. He'll be 20 in November.

Hults- He turns 21 in May, has good size, putting up solid numbers at Penn State but he is only a Sophomore this year as he played in the USHL prior. I guess it depends on what he wants, complete his third year of schooling while continuing to play hockey or turn pro. I think this kid is flying under the Anderson radar, could be a keeper. Not sure how the Kings feel about his current development.

Villalta- He will be 20 in June, but unless the kid is a total stud, hard to the Kings turning over the reins to a 20 year old at the AHL level. Seems to have talent but lacks consistency. A lot will depend on what happens to Petersen next year (is Quick traded, Budaj not likely coming back), so the Reign will need goaltenders. Who knows, if they like what they see maybe he works his way into the goalie rotation. Kehler was clearly not ready last year and he went directly to the ECHL.

THE OTHERS:

Hrenak- He's is my sleeper pick to turn pro. He turns 21 in May, putting up some outstanding numbers at St. Cloud State. Could make a run as a Reign netminder next year. Like other mentioned, only a Sophomore this year.

Shafigullin- He turns 20 in December, struggled for playing time at the KHL level this year, sent down the MHL where he is producing. Not sure we are at with this prospect. Are they willing to sign him and expose him to the North American game, and what does the player want. No rush in my opinion on this guy. Let him make the KHL and get minutes in a men's league to see if he is ready.

Kupari- A heavy bet to make the Kings, he'll only be on the Reign if he's not ready.

Vilardi- A healthy Vilardi will be on the Kings, otherwise he defaults to the Reign.

Moverare- Word is that the Kings are likely to keep him on loan to the SHL for another year. He'll be 21 in August.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Undisciplined play and an awful PK don’t mix well.

Ontario came back from trailing 3-1 to take a 4-3 lead in the 2nd, but the poor special teams play did them in.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
His contract ends this season and he'll be a RFA. I have a feeling if he doesn't step up, he may not get qualified. With guys like Phillips and Durzi needing to be signed and the possibility
of Mikey Anderson signing...

He's played 30 pro games at the age of 23 over one season and you think they are going to just dump him? No chance that happens. He will be qualified. It's a no brainer.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
at least it's a metatarsal and not one of those little bones behind them, should heal up fine

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Did Ontario sign college FA Justin Baudry from Bemidji ST? LHD, put up decent numbers. Got an assist for Ontario in his first game. Could be a keeper

He's on an ATO. Reign are severely short handed with Clague injured and Roy, Walker and MacDermid all on the Kings. Two other D men are on PTO's, up from the ECHL.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Well, this game against Bakersfield isn't looking so hot after 20 minutes. Condors lead 5-0.
TheAHL.com

Could the Kings' minor league team actually be worse than the parent club?
Look at that roster and tell me you expected different?
Next season, you’ll have JAD, and hopefully Vilardi, Kupari, Anderson, Phillips and Durzi.. so expect better results next season

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Look at that roster and tell me you expected different?
Next season, you’ll have JAD, and hopefully Vilardi, Kupari, Anderson, Phillips and Durzi.. so expect better results next season

Says the guy who thinks every prospect in the pipeline is a superstar. They introduced a bunch of new, young players to the roster this season and struggled as a team. Rempal is the only newcomer to produce consistently, whereas the likes of Clague, Brickley, Strand and Eyssimont have had to adjust to playing in the AHL.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Says the guy who thinks every prospect in the pipeline is a superstar. They introduced a bunch of new, young players to the roster this season and struggled as a team. Rempal is the only newcomer to produce consistently, whereas the likes of Clague, Brickley, Strand and Eyssimont have had to adjust to playing in the AHL.
Only guy I thought would be a superstar was Vilardi and rightfully so.. his body had other ideas. We haven’t had this type of talent infusion since Manchester won the Calder Cup..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad