Ontario Reign 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Was he a LW at Kings dev camp? He was pretty much half and half forward and D in the OHL, and wracked a ton of points playing the right side point on the power play. From what I understand, D is his prefered position and he went to at least one or two other teams development camps as a D in the past.

I didn't get to attend development camp (work) but read he did well. They listed him at forward on the roster. I read he looked comfortable battling with Turcotte in a scrimmage.

I also saw this on Twitter;

Mike Farwell

@farwell_ohl
Garreffa will attend the LA Kings rookie camp and then look to catch on with an AHL team. #OHL #OHLRangers
9:00 AM · Aug 21, 2019·Twitter Web App

Reactions: Torgo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was he a LW at Kings dev camp? He was pretty much half and half forward and D in the OHL, and wracked a ton of points playing the right side point on the power play. From what I understand, D is his prefered position and he went to at least one or two other teams development camps as a D in the past.

Yeah, he was definitely skating as a wing at dev camp. He didn't specifically jump out at me with any specific plays, but that's maybe a good thing. I do remember him fitting in very well, you wouldn't be able to tell him from a 4th-5th rounder imo. Good skater, good vision.

Very interesting thinking about him playing D, but whole org is getting loaded up everywhere, so I'm not sure there's an easier path for him either way. We were pushing dmen down to the ECHL last year, though, and could definitely use forward depth...more spots up for grabs.

Edit: and as @Rekingsfan17 pointed out above, he'll be at the upcoming rookie camp, as well!

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
I'm thinking of taking my son (3 years old) to a Reign game this upcoming season. A couple of questions for our Reign-regulars:

(1) How's the in-arena atmosphere, specifically compared to Staples? Even more specifically: is it as loud/flashy as the later (i.e., all of the every-millisecond-filled-with-noise and laser-lights at Staples would probably bother him, so if it's comparable to that, we're going to hold off for a few years)?

(2) How's parking?

Thanks!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm thinking of taking my son (3 years old) to a Reign game this upcoming season. A couple of questions for our Reign-regulars:

(1) How's the in-arena atmosphere, specifically compared to Staples? Even more specifically: is it as loud/flashy as the later (i.e., all of the every-millisecond-filled-with-noise and laser-lights at Staples would probably bother him, so if it's comparable to that, we're going to hold off for a few years)?

(2) How's parking?

Thanks!

They have a new scoreboard this year, so hard to say what they will incorporate with that, but like most hockey barns, there is a lot of fairly loud music, they do have lasers at the start during the pregame, Dave Joseph does most of the PA work when the Kings are not playing and he's very loud. Smaller arena than Staples, but can be fairly loud. Crowd noise less. Parking is pretty easy, all on site, $10 cash.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would say it's probably as loud, but less lazer/strobe lighting in general. But as regulate says, who knows with the new gear

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Any projections on what Ontario’s lineup could look like ?

Thank U

A pretty tall order this early. Obviously depending on stand outs or injuries in camp could change some of these dynamics. Best guess at this point. There are like 10 possible D men so a couple likely headed to the ECHL at some point, even if the Reign carry 8 D.

LW
M. Kempe or Wagner
Eyssimont
Sodergran
Bergh
Imama

C
Lizotte
JAD
Sutter
Rymsha

RW
Rempal
Frk or Luff
Kupari
Morrison

Other possible forwards if they have contracts. Baylis (listed on rookie roster as an AHL contract, also list on Elite Prospects as a transaction to the Reign, but no announcement anywhere), Yantsis (if he gets a contract), Bouma (if he gets a contract and is willing to play in the AHL).

LD
Brickley and/or MacDermid and/or Ryan
Anderson
Stanton
Phillips
Gottleib
Reddekopp

RD
Walker or Roy
Clague
Durzi
Strand

G
Petersen
Villalta

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign already have 6 D plus Stanton? Wow. Too many and Kings still might cut 1-2 more D.

Not just Stanton. Gottlieb also has an AHL deal. It's a giant logjam. Kings and Reign may both have to keep 8D, and still one or two may have to go to the ECHL (+ the Phillips option to go back to the OHL for an overager year).

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Phillips to OHL. Red and Strand to the Coast?

Certainly possibilities. Reign like to keep young players around at the start of the season to see if they have what it takes at the AHL level. It will truly be a camp battle though. Strand has some upside (combined with Anderson in an NHL split squad game they were +8 against the Yotes), but he's a project. Being right hand helps him, plus he has size although he's not a bruiser. But he is a constant goal scoring threat. He has a very heavy wrister from the point, and I think he could pot 15 goals at the pro level if he gets PP time. I've actually spoken briefly with Stothers about Reddekopp (who I don't see much promise in because of his reads and hockey IQ), and Stothers may be protecting him a bit, but I know Stutts likes players with size and some bite, and Reddekopp has that, but he has a long fuse and doesn't play with an edge all the time. Gottlieb got a try out late last year and impressed too. He's not big, but he's an outstanding skater. I didn't think he looked out of place at all at the AHL level, and apparently I was correct, as they signed him to an AHL deal in the off-season. The best all-around may be to make a minor league trade or even (gulp) lose a MacDermid or LaDue to waivers if they decide to go that route (the Kings). The cupboard if full, and the Kings are just about maxed at the contract limit. First year in a long-time both teams have a little bit of depth, the problem is we have too many marginal players at both levels. Next season should shake out better.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Phillips is 20 years old, former 4th rounder, signed to an NHL contract and was a member of Team Canada at the WJC's. It would be odd to to see him sent back to the OHL for an overage year. Some of these guys in Ontario have basically zero chance of having a future role with the Kings, not saying Phillips does but it's within the realm of possibility, where as it's really not with most of the guys not named Anderson, Clague and Durzi.

I would expect Blake to move one or two of the older guys with little realistic goal of being future pieces of the Kings (Brickley, McD, Ryan) before making him go back to junior.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign lose 5-2 to the Gulls in a day exhibition game. Make shift Reign roster with a lot of PTO's that will not be on the team. Waiting for 4-6 more Kings cuts.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
The LA Kings still need to cut 3 (or is it 4 ?) more players by Monday. Before those final cuts, and if Prokhorkin reports as is expected, it looks like we have 13 forwards under contract (not counting the players in camp on tryouts). I was really hoping they would sign Garreffa but maybe there is not any room although Garreffa, Bouma, Boudens, Doty and St Amant are all listed on the team roster (ontarioreign.com/team).
Including the players on PTO/TO, but still listed on the roster, we would have 18 forwards (even before the LA Kings final cuts). Maybe a few are destined for Fort Wayne, getting waived or maybe some of the tryout guys won't get signed even though they are already listed on the roster(?).....

Under contract;
Sodergran, Kupari, Rempal
Eyssimont, JAD, Luff
Morrison, Prokhorkin, Rymsha
Bergh, Sutter, Frk
Imama

on Tryout/PTO;
Garreffa, Bouma, Boudens, Doty and St Amant

On defense, it looks like we have 9 under contract so far before the LA Kings final cuts. From what I've been reading it sounds like the LA Kings will probably be cutting one forward and two more defensemen (?). Plus we have Galipeau on a Tryout (again he is also listed on the team roster) so that makes 10 defenseman plus potentially two more from the LA Kings final cuts.....

Under contract;
Anderson, Clague
Brickley, Strand
Phillips, Durzi
Reddekopp, Stanton
Gottlieb

on Tryout;
Galipeau

Then we also have three goalies listed. Including the LA Kings final cuts that will be something like 34 players. I read the following "Unlike the NHL, where teams can only have a maximum of 23 players on their active roster, there is no limit to roster size in the AHL. Most AHL teams will carry 23-25 players, depending on injuries and scheduling. Despite having a drastic impact on the NHL’s operations, the American Hockey League does not have a salary cap or any limit on what a team can spend on player contracts." (Learning the AHL: How a roster is assembled - Belleville Senators).

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Looks like Lance Bouma is going to stick around for a while on his PTO. Hopefully the Reign will be satisfied he is healthy and sign him to a deal. He brings size, toughness and veteran leadership to a very young team overall. Players can play 25 AHL games on a PTO.

Reactions: King'sPawn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad