Ontario Reign 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's a good AHL player.

I'm looking forward to (hoping) we having a much better Reign team this year. I do think having your minor league affiliate perform well is beneficial to the organization overall, and I plan on attending more Reign games this year as well.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Any prediction on Ontario line up next year?

It's just too early to throw that out there. I suspect a couple more AHL signings could be en route, they don't have an ECHL affiliate yet that we know of, and with a new Kings coaching staff, who knows who they will favor in camp. The team will still be very young, although maybe more skilled overall. The AHL is a tough league for a young team. I suspect even if the Kings best youngsters on the Reign, there will still be a lot of growing pains.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

If you go by some combo of NHL games played, age, and contracts:

Got your 9 guaranteed forwards on the Kings, plus Prokhorkin, and likely Amadio. That's 11 guys. Wagner/Grundstrom/Frk/M.Kempe are likely fighting for 2 spots. The rest, plus Sutter, are in Ontario.

3 defenseman are guarantees, then Ryan and LaDue, then there's MacD/Brickley/Walker/Roy. Those last 4 likely going for 2 spots, maybe 3. The others will be with the Reign.

Petersen will likely be the #1.

Anyone on a one way contract is very likely to be in LA. Roy, Amadio, Rempal, Brickley, and Petersen are RFA's, so we have to wait and see what their contracts end up being, but if get that 1 way deal, they probably have a spot to lose.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Daniel Brickley
Position: LD
Shoots: L
Age at start of 2019-2020 season: 24
Size: 6-3 203
Draft position: Undrafted
How obtained: Signed as a free agent on March 30th, 2018
Years pro: 1 (technically 2 as he played 1 game in 2017-2018)
Prior season Team: Minnesota State University (NCAA) GP: 40 G: 10 A: 25 PIM: 53 +/- : +16
2018-2019 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 42 G: 2 A: 10 PIM: 22 +/-: -31
Signed through: 2018-2019 season (RFA). Currently unsigned.

Review: Daniel Brickley was signed by the Kings at the end of the 2017-2018 season as one of the more sought after NCAA free agents and saw NHL action in one game which burned a year off of his contract. Brickley was hoping to earn a spot on the Kings roster coming out of camp for the 2018-2019 roster but had some work to do defensively to hone his craft and was sent to Ontario. In a season where everything that could go wrong did, it was hard not to feel for this young man as he battled personal tragedy and injury. With his father fighting a losing battle with cancer, it had to be a heavy burden to bear for Daniel, ultimately losing his father as such a young age during the season. Couple that with a very young and inexperienced Reign squad finding out just what a significant jump it is to play professional hockey in one of the best leagues in the world, Brickley was part of a team that overall could not ever find it's wings defensively. Daniel spent most of his season on the first or second pairing as the LD. He was often paired with Clague or Roy, especially after MacDermid was called up when Brickley took on the role of the #1 LD on the first paring. Brickley also suffered a serious leg/ankle injury in a game against San Jose on January 9th, missing two full months of the season when he was checked from behind away from the boards and slid awkwardly feet first at speed resulting in him being helped off the ice. There was rumor surgery was required although I could not confirm this. I would characterize his play two-fold. Early in the season he was taking risks rushing the puck which too often resulted in a turnover and a goal or high scoring chance against. He seemed to play a more cautious game offensively as he became more accustomed to the pro game. Brickley can use his size effectively, using his long reach and stick (reminds me of Willie Mitchell in that respect) and sheer physical size to protect the puck or the defensive zone and while not overly physical, he will battle along the boards. He needs to improve his gap control and positioning in front of the net. Too often the opposition had a step on him resulting in a scoring chance or conversion. His minus 31 was the worst on the team. I would say his skating is average, he could use a quicker first step to anticipate the rush better. In what has to be a microcosm that represent what a frustrating season it was for Brickley, I would say he likely lead the league in broken sticks he intentionally smashed into the goal posts Jonathan Quick style when particularly critical goals where scored against in the waning moments of a game when he was on the ice. On the offensive side of things, Brickley possess an average shot. He's more likely to try and get a wrist shot through for a deflection around the net than take a big slapper. He does have the ability to carry the puck laterally on the rush.

Outlook: Is Daniel Brickley someone that is better suited for the structure of the NHL than the AHL? I would say he has looked okay in his NHL games (he played 4 games with the Kings during a December call up and had 1 assist with a minus 2 rating). This will be a critical year for his professional career. Was last season an outlier or the true representation of his potential or lack thereof? In his defense he was a professional rookie on a struggling team. You can see some signs that he could have an NHL career by making wiser decisions on the ice and improving his positioning and anticipation. He must improve his quickness in his decision making on his defensive reads. His physical size is something the Kings lack in the pipeline outside of MacDermid, the question is will he develop the consistency on the ice that will take him to the next level. Eliminating turnovers, making that critical first pass and using his size wisely can make this prospect a viable NHL player. Now he has to show it.

Chance for success at the next level: Will he turn into the next Willie Mitchell style player, or will he be relegated to the dust bin of long forgotten prospects with potential? As I previously mentioned, this is an absolute critical season for Brickley due to his age as he attempts to make the Kings roster out of the gate. With a fresh start and a new coaching staff, he will be given every opportunity to impress. This will likely be a make or break season for Bricks, and even if sent back to Ontario, he must develop his pro game and show continuous improvement to increase his chances for a professional career in North America.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Player: Daniel Brickley
Position: LD
Shoots: L
Age at start of 2019-2020 season: 24
Size: 6-3 203
How obtained: Signed as a free agent on March 30th, 2018
Years pro: 1 (technically 2 as he played 1 game in 2017-2018)
Prior season Team: Minnesota State University (NCAA) GP: 40 G: 10 A: 25 PIM: 53 +/- : +16
2018-2019 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 42 G: 2 A: 10 PIM: 22 +/-: -31
Signed through: 2018-2019 season (RFA). Currently unsigned.

Review: Daniel Brickley was signed by the Kings at the end of the 2017-2018 season as one of the more sought after NCAA free agents and saw NHL action in one game which burned a year off of his contract. Brickley was hoping to earn a spot on the Kings roster coming out of camp for the 2018-2019 roster but had some work to do defensively to hone his craft and was sent to Ontario. In a season where everything that could go wrong did, it was hard not to feel for this young man as he battled personal tragedy and injury. With his father fighting a losing battle with cancer, it had to be a heavy burden to bear for Daniel, ultimately losing his father as such a young age during the season. Couple that with a very young and inexperienced Reign squad finding out just what a significant jump it is to play professional hockey in one of the best leagues in the world, Brickley was part of a team that overall could not ever find it's wings defensively. Daniel spent most of his season on the first or second pairing as the LD. He was often paired with Clague or Roy, especially after MacDermid was called up when Brickley took on the role of the #1 LD on the first paring. Brickley also suffered a serious leg/ankle injury in a game against San Jose on January 9th, missing two full months of the season when he was checked from behind away from the boards and slid awkwardly feet first at speed resulting in him being helped off the ice. There was rumor surgery was required although I could not confirm this. I would characterize his play two-fold. Early in the season he was taking risks rushing the puck which too often resulted in a turnover and a goal or high scoring chance against. He seemed to play a more cautious game offensively as he became more accustomed to the pro game. Brickley can use his size effectively, using his long reach and stick (reminds me of Willie Mitchell in that respect) and sheer physical size to protect the puck or the defensive zone and while not overly physical, he will battle along the boards. He needs to improve his gap control and positioning in front of the net. Too often the opposition had a step on him resulting in a scoring chance or conversion. His minus 31 was the worst on the team. I would say his skating is average, he could use a quicker first step to anticipate the rush better. In what has to be a microcosm that represent what a frustrating season it was for Brickley, I would say he likely lead the league in broken sticks he intentionally smashed into the goal posts Jonathan Quick style when particularly critical goals where scored against in the waning moments of a game when he was on the ice. On the offensive side of things, Brickley possess an average shot. He's more likely to try and get a wrist shot through for a deflection around the net than take a big slapper. He does have the ability to carry the puck laterally on the rush.

Outlook: Is Daniel Brickley someone that is better suited for the structure of the NHL than the AHL? I would say he has looked okay in his NHL games (he played 4 games with the Kings during a December call up and had 1 assist with a minus 2 rating). This will be a critical year for his professional career. Was last season an outlier or the true representation of his potential or lack thereof? In his defense he was a professional rookie on a struggling team. You can see some signs that he could have an NHL career by making wiser decisions on the ice and improving his positioning and anticipation. He must improve his quickness in his decision making on his defensive reads. His physical size is something the Kings lack in the pipeline outside of MacDermid, the question is will he develop the consistency on the ice that will take him to the next level. Eliminating turnovers, making that critical first pass and using his size wisely can make this prospect a viable NHL player. Now he has to show it.

Chance for success at the next level: Will he turn into the next Willie Mitchell style player, or will he be relegated to the dust bin of long forgotten prospects with potential? As I previously mentioned, this is an absolute critical season for Brickley due to his age as he attempts to make the Kings roster out of the gate. With a fresh start and a new coaching staff, he will be given every opportunity to impress. This will likely be a make or break season for Bricks, and even if sent back to Ontario, he must develop his pro game and show continuous improvement to increase his chances for a professional career in North America.
Great review, Reg. I don't count myself amongst the many here who seemed smitten with Brickley, but he does have some potential. I hope he has a spectacular season next year and proves me wrong. Just seems like he's not actually a good NHL level player to me.

Reactions: regulate

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Austin Strand
Position: RD
Shoots: R
Age at start of 2019-2020 season: 22
Size: 6-4 216
How obtained: Signed as a free agent on November 27th, 2017
Years pro: 1
Prior season Team: Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) GP: 69 G: 25 A: 39 PIM: 75 +/- : -2
2018-2019 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 43 G: 7 A: 11 PIM: 30 +/-: -4
Signed through: 2019-2020 season

Review: Austin Strand passed through two NHL drafts unnoticed and undrafted, but came out blazing in his 19/20 year old season for the Seattle Thunderbirds and soon was being followed closely by the Kings, who with a lack of depth in the organization in 2017 quickly signed him to an ELC in November of that year as a free agent. He did not disappoint, racking up 25 goals from the blue line in his last WHL season. Strand came into rookie camp last year and I think most who saw him would say he looked fairly poised for a new pro and had one of the better showings in what otherwise was a dismal rookie camp for the team in 2018. During one of the tourney games Strand was struck in the head with a puck which put him on the sidelines the rest of camp with concussion symptoms before being cut to Ontario. Strand was one of the players I was most looking forward to seeing to start the season, but I'd have to wait until late November to get that chance. It appears Coach Stothers did not have a lot of confidence in the 1st year pro to start the campaign, and the with team playing so poorly defensively, opted to go with more experienced players. The concussion was not an issue as Strand played in the preseason in early October. With the Reign carrying eight defensemen, and with Strand having failed to get into a game the first couple of weeks, Strand was sent to ECHL Manchester to begin his pro career. Strand played 9 games for the Monarchs, scoring his first pro goal and adding 2 assists with a +1 rating before being recalled to Ontario (he switched places with Reddekopp who was sent to the ECHL). Strand made his AHL debut on November 25th, but did not become a fixture in the line up until mid-December, becoming a regular starter from then on. When the Kings signed Strand, he was described as an excellent skater. For a big man, he does move at a good pace, but need to improve his balance. I noticed on more than one occassion he lost his balance while making a turn with the puck resulting in dangerous turnovers, and sometimes he had trouble despite his size staying on his skates along the boards. Some of that may be a strength issue. Strand is a tall man at 6-4, but looks to have a bit of a wiry frame. Like most rookie pros, Strand is learning his craft and progressed during the season, posting a reasonable -4 rating on a very poor defensive team. He can use his long reach effectively, but need to close gaps quicker and anticipate opposing rushes better to not get beat to the outside. Not overly physical, but he'll use his size along the boards to his advantage. Two areas that stood out to me where his poise with the puck (generally read the game well and made safe passes despite being new to the faster pace), and his ability to get shots through on goal. He scored 7 goals, and I'd swear he hit 7-10 crossbar's and posts during the season. With a little luck, he would have scored in double digits. When he gets time and space, he can bring it with velocity on his slap shot but takes too big of a wind up at times resulting in shots being blocked. He is effective getting his wrist shots through.

Outlook: I think the best way to describe Strand is that he is a project player. He does some things well, and he has a lot of areas that need some tuning. I'd like to see him play with a little more pace and gumption to his game. He has an NHL level shot from the point, and does posses some poise offensively. This season he'll know what to expect and should be a regular on the Ontario blue line, hopefully manning the right point on the PP. I don't suspect he'll be ready for an NHL call up this year unless his game quickly rises to the next level during his AHL campaign, but I would not rule him out getting a look in 2020-2021 if he is re-signed at the age of 23.

Chance for success at the next level: The answer will boil down to this. Can he play NHL level defense? Right now I would say it's too early to tell, but I'm hopeful. He'll need to build upon his rookie campaign with continued improvement in all zones and become one of coach Stothers trusted go to men on defense. With so many new faces defensively again this coming season, the second year pro will be counted on to hold down one of the spots on the right side for the Reign in 2019-2020.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Great review, Reg. I don't count myself amongst the many here who seemed smitten with Brickley, but he does have some potential. I hope he has a spectacular season next year and proves me wrong. Just seems like he's not actually a good NHL level player to me.

I find that a really tough evaluation to make of a guy in his first pro season in an organization in disarray who also had to deal with his father passing away.

I give away mulligans like they're candy to guys who were attempting to develop last year but maybe no one is more deserving than Brickley of it.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I find that a really tough evaluation to make of a guy in his first pro season in an organization in disarray who also had to deal with his father passing away.

I give away mulligans like they're candy to guys who were attempting to develop last year but maybe no one is more deserving than Brickley of it.

Eh.. I mean he only played on the worst Reign team ever, and had to suffer throughout the season with his father fighting, suffering and ultimately losing his battle to cancer..
A mulligan for sure RJ... Some people seems to think athletes are robots instead of human being.. I expect the kid to play his heart out!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Weird thing about Brickley is he looked far better in his limited time in the NHL than the AHL. Could be small sample size, maybe mental struggles, hard to get a read. I'm sure he understands the important of this year to his hockey future, so hoping he goes all out.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home

Lizotte-Kupari-Frk
MarioKempe-AndersonDolan-Rempal
Eyssimont-Sutter*-Morrison
Imama-Rymsha-

Brickley-Ryan
Anderson-Clague
Phillips-Durzi
Reddekopp-Strand

Petersen
Villalta

*AHL contract

Could be MacDermid/Ryan swap, most likely see another AHL forward in mix atleast.
Kupari, Lizotte, JAD, Frk, Mario Kempe and Rempal most likely top six.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Well, it's a positive but the reality is Walker and Roy were up the with Kings and Clague would likely would have been the leading scorer among the D that was left at the end of the year missed the last month of the season with a broken foot.

So, what you're saying is Brickley took advantage of the opportunity that was presented to him?

Reactions: regulate

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Does anyone have the pre-season schedule? Not easy to find....

Or maybe there aren't any pre-season games?

The Reign also released their preseason schedule, which remains a home-and-home set against the San Diego Gulls. “Cool School” returns to Ontario on Thursday, September 26 with a 10 AM faceoff at Toyota Arena, followed by the annual Anaheim game, which takes place on Monday, September 30 at 7 PM at Honda Center, home of the Anaheim Ducks.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Lizotte-Kupari-Frk
MarioKempe-AndersonDolan-Rempal
Eyssimont-Sutter*-Morrison
Imama-Rymsha-

Brickley-Ryan
Anderson-Clague
Phillips-Durzi
Reddekopp-Strand

Petersen
Villalta

*AHL contract

Could be MacDermid/Ryan swap, most likely see another AHL forward in mix atleast.
Kupari, Lizotte, JAD, Frk, Mario Kempe and Rempal most likely top six.
Luff is still waiver exempt, so my guess is he will start in Ontario as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad