Ontario Reign 20-21 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you're going to have a vote, then go against it even though it's completely lopsided, then why even have a vote at all? What's the point?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
If you're going to have a vote, then go against it even though it's completely lopsided, then why even have a vote at all? What's the point?

The vote was conducted by the players' association, not the league.

"When the Professional Hockey Players’ Association canvassed its members on whether or not they wanted to extend the season for the Pacific Division playoff tournament, the vote came back 133-8 against. But the PHPA contends that the league and Pacific Division teams have essentially ignored the wishes of their players and will forge on.
When the AHL made the decision to play this season, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) had to be struck between the league and the PHPA, which was signed March 1 by AHL president Scott Howson and PHPA executive director Larry Landon. The agreement set out provisions for playing the season, which included a clause that provided only 48 percent of the salaries for players. It also included a provision for the playoffs, which reads: “Playoffs for the 2020-21 season will be at the sole discretion of the AHL. No additional compensation will be paid to the players for any playoff games…All decisions related to conducting the playoffs for the 2020-21 season remain at the sole discretion of the AHL, including without limitation, whether playoffs are conducted and, if so, whether some or all of the teams play any playoff games.”"

The Post-Season Nobody Wants to Play

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Hopefully Turc can stay healthy because he's going to come into camp HUNGRY!

Looks like Turcotte needs to spend more time with Gramps and his stickhandling school because I think Alex might need more of it. But seriously though I'm really rooting for this kid to do well. Get healthy Turcs.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
nice little highlight reel for Turcotte

anyone else follow him on instagram? seems like a genuinely good-natured teammate - always pumping up the success of Reign, Wisconsin, and USA teammates.

nobody in the Kings organization made a better pass than this last year. just unreal

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
nice little highlight reel for Turcotte

anyone else follow him on instagram? seems like a genuinely good-natured teammate - always pumping up the success of Reign, Wisconsin, and USA teammates.

nobody in the Kings organization made a better pass than this last year. just unreal

I do, his training stuff from today was rad, kid looks pretty jacked already

Reign have been doing that series for all the prospects

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yes he's probably just as slow as he was in Hamilton but the kid has shown he can score, and score a lot, at every level he's played in.
His skating issues are way over stated. He’s not the prettiest skater but he has decent speed and enough IQ to create the separation he needs to do his thing. I certainly wouldn’t call him slow.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Would rather have Imama then Doty but definitely need some toughness to protect the kids.

I think Imama will be back. Not sure about Eyssimont. depends on how things shake out after the draft, trades and FA. If we have the spot, I think they resign him. Reality is he is probably a AAAA player at this point, and that is OK. You need some of those guys.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I always wonder why these career minor league guys don't go to Europe to try and make more money (or maybe they can't?).

Playing in the AHL for a career, making 60K per year, has got to be a pretty tough job. SoCal is not a cheap place to live either.

And what do you do for a job once you get out? All those years playing hockey doesn't exactly give a great skill set that can be applied at a normal job somewhere else.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I always wonder why these career minor league guys don't go to Europe to try and make more money (or maybe they can't?).

Playing in the AHL for a career, making 60K per year, has got to be a pretty tough job. SoCal is not a cheap place to live either.

And what do you do for a job once you get out? All those years playing hockey doesn't exactly give a great skill set that can be applied at a normal job somewhere else.

Probably the same reason most don't go overseas - uprooting yourself for an uncertainty is scary. Not knowing another language, etc.

And many just try to find other jobs aftervretiring. Others become scouts or work for teams in other positions.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Currently the minimum salary for an AHL only contract is $52,000 per year. Something to remember though is veteran AHL players can make considerably more money, many times six figures. So you can make a living as an AHL vet if your services are in demand, but not too many get the big bucks. Of course, many times veteran tweeners on NHL contracts that get sent down can make huge money on one-way deals (many make 7 figures) or contracts that pay high on the AHL side of things like Mark Alt for the Kings last year who made 300K playing almost exclusively in the AHL (made less due to C-19, but you get the idea).

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
What kind of NHL future does Rymsha and Strand have?

Rymsha not much. Strand actually looked quite good and was a revelation in his stint on the Kings when Matt Roy and Sean Walker were out with injuries. Once they returned, he never got a sniff. I think he's NHL quality, but there's currently no room on the right side of the Kings defense for him. Could change if a major trade involves Roy or Walker though.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

I can't imagine they'd make that much more. I think skill guys who don't have the size or physical attributes to succeed in the NHL (like Justin Azevedo) are able to make good money in the KHL, but the grinders like Sutter or Doty still aren't going to be game breakers in Europe. Maybe the best they could get is 70-80K and its not enough incentive to go live alone in a foreign country for a year or two.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Strand looked so good Blake benched him before he could play enough games to qualify to be taken by Seattle. He played for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the Dub. Great strategizing by Blake.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Strand looked so good Blake benched him before he could play enough games to qualify to be taken by Seattle. He played for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the Dub. Great strategizing by Blake.

That's not how it works, Strand is eligible to be taken by Seattle as are all 3+ year pros regardless of NHL games played. The games played thing that everyone mentions is in regards to a requirement that teams must expose at least one defenseman and two forwards who have played 40 NHL games in the prior season or 70 in the prior 2 seasons, it does not mean that anyone who has played fewer NHL games is exempt. Since we'll have several players exposed that meet this requirement the rule is irrelevant.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Rymsha will not be qualified this month and will be a UFA. If he gets a sniff at an NHL contract the GM is high. I suspect he'll have a hard time getting an AHL deal anywhere. He's an ECHL player with everything he has shown so far as a pro.

Strand is a bit more challenging. One could rightfully argue he looked decent in his few NHL games in his protected minutes. He has size, and has a good shot that seemed to disappear last season. He missed a lot of games. His AHL game is very "meh" at best most nights defensively. You could argue if he was "that good", Kings would have found room for him on the roster. Personally, I don't think he'll make the Kings IF they qualify him (I think they probably will, he'll only get a one year deal likely since he is 24 years old) and he'll be waived and sail through waivers to be back on the Reign. Put it this way, I think the staff was pleasantly surprise how he handled the next level, but lack confidence in his talent level overall to commit with term. I've watched him play so many games the last 3 years, he has to show me he's good enough. So far I'm not convinced, but willing to be open to see if he's a very late bloomer. He did make improvements. Not that this is the tell all, but remember, he was not drafted out of the WHL Kings took a chance on him as an undrafted free agent since the Kings cupboard was bare. It's been a decent signing for an AHL D man to date.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Rymsha will not be qualified this month and will be a UFA. If he gets a sniff at an NHL contract the GM is high. I suspect he'll have a hard time getting an AHL deal anywhere. He's an ECHL player with everything he has shown so far as a pro.

Strand is a bit more challenging. One could rightfully argue he looked decent in his few NHL games in his protected minutes. He has size, and has a good shot that seemed to disappear last season. He missed a lot of games. His AHL game is very "meh" at best most nights defensively. You could argue if he was "that good", Kings would have found room for him on the roster. Personally, I don't think he'll make the Kings IF they qualify him (I think they probably will, he'll only get a one year deal likely since he is 24 years old) and he'll be waived and sail through waivers to be back on the Reign. Put it this way, I think the staff was pleasantly surprise how he handled the next level, but lack confidence in his talent level overall to commit with term. I've watched him play so many games the last 3 years, he has to show me he's good enough. So far I'm not convinced, but willing to be open to see if he's a very late bloomer. He did make improvements. Not that this is the tell all, but remember, he was not drafted out of the WHL Kings took a chance on him as an undrafted free agent since the Kings cupboard was bare. It's been a decent signing for an AHL D man to date.

I don't know if Strand will ever make the NHL full time, but I saw enough to make me think that bringing him back for at least another season is a good idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad