Ontario Reign 20-21 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Any guess on what Ontario's lines will look like?

Thanks!!!

Now we can start having an educated guess.

If Byfield stays on the Kings:

Fagemo-Turcotte-Kupari
Frk-Tynan-Kaliyev
Johnson-AndersonDolan-Madden
Burke-Sutter-Dudas
Sodergran-Pavlychev-Doty

Thomas-Inj
Kemp-ECHL

+ you could have one of Lizotte, Grundstrom or Wagner down here. If Byfield goes down to the AHL, even more compacted.

Clague-Durzi
Wolanin-Strand
Moverare-Spence
Gaunce*-Grans
Phillips-

D pairing in no particular order

*Gaunce is on a try out, his fate may lay on if any deals are made, waivers claims, or injuries. He's not a great defender, but puts a lot of assists on the board and lead the Reign in plus/minus last year.
It's too crowded. If camps start with relatively healthy rosters, I suspect the Kings and Reign will be trying to make 2 for 1 player deals, or players just for picks to reduce the manpower.

Sparks
Villalta
Ingham
Parik (ECHL)
Lethemon (ECHL)

Just educated guesses, could be a lot of fun down here, roster lacks physical strength and toughess unless the 5th forward group is in the line up. D can be soft.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Now we can start having an educated guess.

If Byfield stays on the Kings:

Fagemo-Turcotte-Kupari
Frk-Tynan-Kaliyev
Johnson-AndersonDolan-Madden
Burke-Sutter-Dudas
Sodergran-Pavlychev-Doty

Thomas-Inj
Kemp-ECHL

+ you could have one of Lizotte, Grundstrom or Wagner down here. If Byfield goes down to the AHL, even more compacted.

Clague-Durzi
Wolanin-Strand
Moverare-Spence
Gaunce*-Grans
Phillips-

D pairing in no particular order

*Gaunce is on a try out, his fate may lay on if any deals are made, waivers claims, or injuries. He's not a great defender, but puts a lot of assists on the board and lead the Reign in plus/minus last year.
It's too crowded. If camps start with relatively healthy rosters, I suspect the Kings and Reign will be trying to make 2 for 1 player deals, or players just for picks to reduce the manpower.

Sparks
Villalta
Ingham
Parik (ECHL)
Lethemon (ECHL)

Just educated guesses, could be a lot of fun down here, roster lacks physical strength and toughess unless the 5th forward group is in the line up. D can be soft.

Yep, I think the Kings make a lot of minor 2 for 1 picks and 4-7th rounds. That's a good problem to have.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I hope the Kings didn’t bring over Grans to sit in the press box. Idc if Wolanin is better today. He should sit for Grans/Spence. Little to no value in his minutes.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I hope the Kings didn’t bring over Grans to sit in the press box. Idc if Wolanin is better today. He should sit for Grans/Spence. Little to no value in his minutes.

Grans and Spence will play if they earn the coaches trust on the D side. Many a Kings prospect has struggled defensively in their first AHL season, Clague, Durzi, Strand and many more. Even Mikey Anderson had his share of tough games as a 20 year old in his AHL campaign. Bjornfot was probably the biggest exception to the rule so far, he looked good, particularly for his age at only 18 playing against men. He was impressive.

Yes, experience is the best teacher, so they will get their shot. If there are injuries or other player movement, even better chance to play but they must be able to show they can hang on the D side or they will sit some games.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
That's why I didn't really understand the reasoning in brining him over this year.
Unless they just didn't like his situation in Sweden, there's just no room on the Ontario roster for him to get a good amount of minutes/games.
Maybe Grans get his but another guy doesn't get the minutes they need.
I guess it will depend on whether anybody gets claimed off waivers or is dealt.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That's why I didn't really understand the reasoning in brining him over this year.
Unless they just didn't like his situation in Sweden, there's just no room on the Ontario roster for him to get a good amount of minutes/games.
Maybe Grans get his but another guy doesn't get the minutes they need.
I guess it will depend on whether anybody gets claimed off waivers or is dealt.

Haven't spoken with Hoven about this specifically. My guess is a lot of what happened last season caused the higher sense of "urgency".

He started out strong, then started regressing. He would get scratched and bottom pairing assignments. For a converted forward, they need to play.

The AHL allows him to play and learn. And they can control how much time he plays.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
4-5 Reign guys are probably going to the ECHL this year, just due to numbers.......

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
4-5 Reign guys are probably going to the ECHL this year, just due to numbers.......

It's possible. As @regulate mentioned, I think there will be some housecleaning moves after camp to move some folks 2:1 moves and futures. They didn't bring in folks on AHL contracts, to just jettison them to the ECHL. If you do that all the time, you will have a hard time attracting future AHL fillers.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
They didn't bring in folks on AHL contracts, to just jettison them to the ECHL. If you do that all the time, you will have a hard time attracting future AHL fillers.

That's exactly what you do with AHL fillers. That's their purpose in life. And there will never be a dip in supply of guys willing to take those deals.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Watching the skates at Reign camp for a few days now you can start to see some lines/pairs forming

There are some guys on ECHL contracts that are invited to camp that are sort of sprinkled into camp that disrupts a bit of it and there's still a handful of guys yet to join the Reign from the Kings

No guarantee AT ALL that these stay put BUT what I saw so far was

Kaliyev/Turcotte/Kupari
Madden/JAD/Fagemo
Johnson/Tynan/Frk

the only D pair I thought I saw consistently was Grans and Moverare but the jerseys didn't have numbers. my eyesight ain't what it used to be and I don't know what all the guys look like yet

I couldn't tell which line was which in terms of "first line" "second line" etc but Tynan is the AHL MVP, Turcotte is a high profile prospect and JAD has the most recent LA/NHL experience

If your fourth line is some rotation of Sutter, Dudas, Sodergran, Burke, Doty and Kemp I think that's a pretty darn good team with the understanding that at some point you get Akil Thomas and 2 more forwards and 2 more D from Kings camp (assuming full health)

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Watching the skates at Reign camp for a few days now you can start to see some lines/pairs forming

There are some guys on ECHL contracts that are invited to camp that are sort of sprinkled into camp that disrupts a bit of it and there's still a handful of guys yet to join the Reign from the Kings

No guarantee AT ALL that these stay put BUT what I saw so far was

Kaliyev/Turcotte/Kupari
Madden/JAD/Fagemo
Johnson/Tynan/Frk

the only D pair I thought I saw consistently was Grans and Moverare but the jerseys didn't have numbers. my eyesight ain't what it used to be and I don't know what all the guys look like yet

I couldn't tell which line was which in terms of "first line" "second line" etc but Tynan is the AHL MVP, Turcotte is a high profile prospect and JAD has the most recent LA/NHL experience

If your fourth line is some rotation of Sutter, Dudas, Sodergran, Burke, Doty and Kemp I think that's a pretty darn good team with the understanding that at some point you get Akil Thomas and 2 more forwards and 2 more D from Kings camp (assuming full health)

Same top 9 as my guesstimate a few days ago, just combos switched a bit. Thanks for the report.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Haven't spoken with Hoven about this specifically. My guess is a lot of what happened last season caused the higher sense of "urgency".

He started out strong, then started regressing. He would get scratched and bottom pairing assignments. For a converted forward, they need to play.

The AHL allows him to play and learn. And they can control how much time he plays.
Yea, that would be the one reason that could it justifiable. Just too many bodies in LA and Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad