Ontario Reign 20-21 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So Turcotte is injured again?

I know injuries can happen at any time, practice, games etc. but stuff like this is why they shouldn't be doing this ridiculous tournament next week. This is the worst idea in hockey since "Team Europe" and "Team North America" in the World Cup of Hockey.

Does anyone care who wins the tourney? Every fanbase is just praying there are no injuries. I actually hope the Reign just get bounced right away.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I know injuries can happen at any time, practice, games etc. but stuff like this is why they shouldn't be doing this ridiculous tournament next week. This is the worst idea in hockey since "Team Europe" and "Team North America" in the World Cup of Hockey.

Does anyone care who wins the tourney? Every fanbase is just praying there are no injuries. I actually hope the Reign just get bounced right away.

If it's the closest the AHL will get to a playoff environment, it's great.

Do *I* care who wins? No. But I'm sure the players love to compete, fight for a job next year, and play during a COVID-shortened season.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Normally I’d agree that these random things are a potential injury pitfall. But these guys have barely played the past 15 months. They need as much ice time for development as they can get. So I’m all for this.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The vote was 133-8 against the pacific division AHL post season tournament by 7 teams players. Really good odds that none of the touted baby kings even voted yes. I’m not personally against the extra games but I have no real stake in the outcome aside from being a fan and observer.

I’m sympathetic to the players saying the lack of additional compensation and less insurance coverage make this a poor request, especially this year / season. At the same time, getting more opportunities to watch our prospects is something to look forward to. At the end of the day, I’m rooting for the Reign kids to not get hurt and go as far as possible, in that order.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If it's the closest the AHL will get to a playoff environment, it's great.

Do *I* care who wins? No. But I'm sure the players love to compete, fight for a job next year, and play during a COVID-shortened season.

The players don't want to be there, and it's not because they don't want to compete. It's for a variety of reasons like financial, rest and preparation for next season, lack of any kind of prestige whatsoever. It's not a playoff atmosphere, it's going to be closer to those pre-season rookie tournaments like the one they have in Traverse City or the one they had in Irvine a couple years ago.

If I told you guys there was going to be atleast one major-injury suffered in this tournament (which is a distinct possibility) to one of the players on one of these teams, how does that make you feel. Want to take the chance that it's not one of ours? I don't. Google Robert Edwards

And John, why do I want them bounced early? The Reign have multiple players who will probably be expected to be on or compete for NHL spots in a couple of months. It's already going to be a short summer, this tournament doesn't conclude until Memorial Day weekend. Rookie camps will be in July, training camps in September and opening night in early October, that is right around the corner. Give these guys extra time to rest up and prepare for next season and yes, not risk injury in meaningless games.

Last edited:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
So Turcotte is injured again?

Off the faceoff on the powerplay, went after the puck tripped on a leg/skate and fell forward. You can see him on the ice hunched over before the camera panned away. Went to the bench when the play stopped you can see him and a trainer skate to the locker room. Real innocent play. I just hope he's okay. Every time he's on the ice I cross my fingers he doesn't get injured.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's not a playoff atmosphere, it's closer to those pre-season rookie tournaments like the one they have in Traverse City. None of the players want to play and the risk of injury far outweighs playing exhibition games that no one wants to compete in.

And Johnhjm, that is why I hope they are bounced. Less games for a player to potentially get injured playing in meaningless game they don't want to be playing in. The Reign have multiple players who will probably be expected to be on or compete for NHL spots in a couple of months. It's already going to be a short summer, this tournament doesn't conclude until Memorial Day weekend. Rookie camps will be in July, training camps in September, that is right around the corner. Give these guys extra time to rest up and prepare for next season.

If I told you guys there was going to be atleast one major-injury suffered in this tournament to one of the players on one of these teams, how does that make you feel. Want to take the chance that its not one of ours? I don't.

I never like having injuries. But it's experience and development. As you mentioned, injuries happen.

It's like complaining about preseason games, or international tournaments.

If the players don't want to play because they want compensation, I agree they should get compensation. They're professionals after all.

Short offseason? It's a short season. Two extra weeks (paid) is too much? Especially since the NHL playoffs go into June?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I never like having injuries. But it's experience and development. As you mentioned, injuries happen.

It's like complaining about preseason games, or international tournaments.

If the players don't want to play because they want compensation, I agree they should get compensation. They're professionals after all.

Short offseason? It's a short season. Two extra weeks (paid) is too much? Especially since the NHL playoffs go into June?

The NHL playoffs are competing for the Stanley Cup, that brings prestige as well as financial incentive that makes the risk of injury and lack of summer rest worth it. I would not be opposed if the Reign were competing for the Calder Cup under normal circumstances. The Calder Cup has prestige and prepares the prospects with a professional playoff atmosphere, this exhibition tournament does neither. If they had voted on playing a regular Calder Cup playoffs with compensation and the chance to win a meaningful championship I assume the vote probably does a complete 180.

No one will remember who won this tournament a couple of months from now except the diehard fans of the winning team.

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The players don't want to be there, and it's not because they don't want to compete. It's for a variety of reasons like financial, rest and preparation for next season, lack of any kind of prestige whatsoever. It's not a playoff atmosphere, it's going to be closer to those pre-season rookie tournaments like the one they have in Traverse City or the one they had in Irvine a couple years ago.

If I told you guys there was going to be atleast one major-injury suffered in this tournament (which is a distinct possibility) to one of the players on one of these teams, how does that make you feel. Want to take the chance that it's not one of ours? I don't.

And John, why do I want them bounced early? The Reign have multiple players who will probably be expected to be on or compete for NHL spots in a couple of months. It's already going to be a short summer, this tournament doesn't conclude until Memorial Day weekend. Rookie camps will be in July, training camps in September and opening night in early October, that is right around the corner. Give these guys extra time to rest up and prepare for next season and yes, not risk injury in meaningless games.

I recognize the financial aspect and that its unfair to the players to be expected to stick around for a few extra weeks without fair pay, especially given all the restrictions this season due to covid they've had to deal with.

But I don't see these games as any less meaningful than the rookie camps, pre-season tournaments, training camps etc. They're still development games same as tomorrow nights game and every other game played this season after winning the division was out of reach.

Also, I don't believe many (if any) of these players will be at rookie camp in July regardless. My recollection is its generally only for the 2 most recent draft classes to learn the system and organization, which the guys in Ontario are already familiar with.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I recognize the financial aspect and that its unfair to the players to be expected to stick around for a few extra weeks without fair pay, especially given all the restrictions this season due to covid they've had to deal with.

But I don't see these games as any less meaningful than the rookie camps, pre-season tournaments, training camps etc. They're still development games same as tomorrow nights game and every other game played this season after winning the division was out of reach.

Also, I don't believe many (if any) of these players will be at rookie camp in July regardless. My recollection is its generally only for the 2 most recent draft classes to learn the system and organization, which the guys in Ontario are already familiar with.

The Kings have had players as old as 26 at rookie camps in the past.

Byfield is 18, Kaliyev is 19, Turcotte is 20, Thomas is 21, Kupari is 21. You have to think all those players will be at rookie camp. And those are the guys that you basically don't want to see injured and would like to see get as rested up as possible in preparation for next season.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The NHL playoffs are competing for the Stanley Cup, that brings prestige as well as financial incentive that makes the risk of injury and lack of summer rest worth it. I would not be opposed if the Reign were competing for the Calder Cup under normal circumstances. The Calder Cup has prestige and prepares the prospects with a professional playoff atmosphere, this exhibition tournament does neither. If they had voted on playing a regular Calder Cup playoffs with compensation and the chance to win a meaningful championship I assume the vote probably does a complete 180.

No one will remember who won this tournament a couple of months from now except the diehard fans of the winning team.

If you could choose only one, which motivation do you think has the players not wanting to play?

1) it's meaningless
2) they aren't being compensated adequately

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If you could choose only one, which motivation do you think has the players not wanting to play?

1) it's meaningless
2) they aren't being compensated adequately

I think it's a combination of both. The money and insurance is certainly a factor, I'm not denying that. But I think the players correctly wanted to get home and rest up a bit for the next season, which for these kids (which is all that matters in the big picture) is basically going to start in July when they come back for rookie camp.

The lack of prestige thing is undeniable, I get it that people want to see more games for the kids, and diehard messageboard fans of the winning team will have bragging rights for a couple of weeks, but this is every bit as meaningless as pre-season tournaments in the big picture, and I think the players know that and are bitter they are being forced to compete.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The Kings have had players as old as 26 at rookie camps in the past.

Byfield is 18, Kaliyev is 19, Turcotte is 20, Thomas is 21, Kupari is 21. You have to think all those players will be at rookie camp. And those are the guys that you basically don't want to see injured and would like to see get as rested up as possible in preparation for next season.

The few old players are the invites and long shots. There wasn't a 2020 camp obviously, but there were 27 players at the 2019 camp, of which 7 were non-kings invites.

Maybe those guys are there, but given that we've drafted 25 players in the last 3 drafts + have 8 picks coming up I would expect at least Kupari and Thomas to have "graduated" out of rookie camp. Kaliyev attended the '19 camp and led the Reign in scoring so I might put him in that category too. Byfield's our most important prospect and Turcotte has missed a lot of time so I'd certainly want them both at the camp, but I don't feel it has any more importance than the upcoming tournament.

Regardless of how meaningless the tournament is, they're still games. Its ice time, its development, its an opportunity to improve.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Went to check in on Johan Sodergran and realized he's been out since at least December with a back injury? Is that right? Ugh.

I know he's a longshot anyway but I was rooting for him, and just sick of the big injuries to prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad