OT - NO POLITICS Only 2 1/2 more months of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Sorry to get “political” but seen a commercial out here saying if you vote or don’t vote it’s now public record. First I have heard of something like this and it feels/sounds illegal. Invasion of privacy much?

I worked on a congressional campaign 8 years ago when I was in college and we had access to this kind of information, at least for Massachusetts. There wasn't anything about who you specifically voted for, but it would have information on if you were registered to a party (or which ballot you selected in a primary if you're unenrolled) and which elections you had voted in. We mostly used it to figure out which voters to target with phone calls or canvassing, since there wasn't any point to wasting time on people who don't vote. In all honesty, it was a waste of time. Most people don't pick up the phone or answer their doors anymore (even before COVID), so it'd be rare to connect to a live person and even rarer to actually have a conversation with them.

If there's one thing I can advise, it's to not ever give out your email address to any campaign. Not because that campaign will blast you with emails (they will), but your email will be shared with other local campaigns from the same party.

Someone actually gave me great advice, which is to set up specific email accounts for things you sign up for online. It could just be your personal email with a dash and an abbreviation for whatever site it was. That lets you know who sold your information when you get spam.

Reactions: Alicat

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
only one in our family who isn`t sick of 2020

Attachments

• Penny Pickles.jpg
    Penny Pickles.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 3

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
My unsolicited advice for those who know me, stock up now on those items that were difficult to obtain back in Feb, March & April.

Just sayin’.
Did that back in mid September when everything was still available and restocking was not an issue. Now people are starting to stock up again while there's limits on certain products and restocking is not as fluid. in my neck of the woods anyway Live and learn is a practical way of life.

Reactions: LSCII

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Also, did you guys ever stop and think the localized shortages are from people panic buying a ton of shit they don't need to. Lmao.

It's not panic buying if you think ahead of the curve... it's called planning. Who the hell is bying a ton of shit they don't need?... pretty sure you're making shit up as you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII and Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
good so many voting, frightening trying to figure out if these are GOP or Dems doing more of the voting
We will probably have record turnout which is awesome.

MA never releases the breakdown of voters until after the election. What they will release are the numbers for each city/town. From the news this morning it looks like the larger cities and towns are taking advantage of early voting/mail in ballots while the smaller towns are opting to wait until Election Day.

Reactions: LSCII

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
There was some website on the commercial. I’ll prolly see the commercial tomorrow during work and post it here so you guys can come to your own conclusions. All I know is I’m sick of politics invading everything in life. Can’t log onto any social media app without being asked if I voted or something else. With everything going on we don’t need added paranoia and stress to our lives.

@Alicat @LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm sick of it too. I haven't missed voting in an election since I turned 18, I'm not going to miss this one and I don't need to be harassed about it on social media or anywhere else for that matter.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Spencer Davis, the multi-instrumentalist and leader of the band that bore his name, has died at the age of 81. The Spencer Davis Group recorded such hits as "Gimme Some Lovin' " and "I'm a Man." Davis wasn't the lead singer on either song though, giving that job to a teenage Steve Winwood.

Davis died Monday while being treated for pneumonia, according to his tour manager and friend, Bob Birk, who worked with the musician for decades.

In a statement to NPR, Birk called him a "highly ethical, very talented, good-hearted, extremely intelligent, generous man."

'Gimme Some Lovin' ' Bandleader Spencer Davis Dead at 81

Boston was late to the Spencer Davis party as the version of 'Gimmie Some Lovin' that charted here was from a Philadelphia based group known as 'The Jordan Brothers'

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Spencer Davis, the multi-instrumentalist and leader of the band that bore his name, has died at the age of 81. The Spencer Davis Group recorded such hits as "Gimme Some Lovin' " and "I'm a Man." Davis wasn't the lead singer on either song though, giving that job to a teenage Steve Winwood.

Davis died Monday while being treated for pneumonia, according to his tour manager and friend, Bob Birk, who worked with the musician for decades.

In a statement to NPR, Birk called him a "highly ethical, very talented, good-hearted, extremely intelligent, generous man."

'Gimme Some Lovin' ' Bandleader Spencer Davis Dead at 81

Boston was late to the Spencer Davis party as the version of 'Gimmie Some Lovin' that charted here was from a Philadelphia based group known as 'The Jordan Brothers'

some amazing music from SPG, what is incredible is Winwood was merely 15 when he was with them, my ba*** hadn`t even dropped by that age and he`s on stage doing what he did

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
speaking of music. Google play app is gone. I had like 2000 songs i would play on that from my phone. Are there any app on the app store that can replace this?? I dont want to have to create another account for anything or pay some stupid fee just to play music from a phone.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
One of my boys has been coughing the last two days, today it's my daughter...and now me. Firmly inside the "is this just the common cold again or Rona?" phase.

It's coming for me.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
speaking of music. Google play app is gone. I had like 2000 songs i would play on that from my phone. Are there any app on the app store that can replace this?? I dont want to have to create another account for anything or pay some stupid fee just to play music from a phone.

You try pandora yet? It's free, but you do have to register.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008

Spotify has a free plan that is very good. The free plan has ads but it's not too intrusive. But you will have to create an account.

Tidal also has a free plan but I have the ad free premium plan for free so I'm not sure how intrusive the ads are on the free plan. Again you will have to create an account.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad