OT - NO POLITICS Only 2 1/2 more months of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Any fellow HR people working on benefit renewals? We are looking at probably at least a 20% increase this year. :confused:

I pay 336 dollars a week for me, wife and son. My deductible is 5400. After deductible is met I'm covered 80% My healthcare costs me $22,872 dollars per year. I am beyond blessed by the good Lord above to have a relatively healthy family and hope it continues.

Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My unsolicited advice for those who know me, stock up now on those items that were difficult to obtain back in Feb, March & April.

Just sayin’.
I'm embarrassed by how much TP and paper towels I have right now. I get some every time I go to the grocery store.

Every time I see wipes, I grab one and I also snagged some concentrate so I can make my own cleaning solution.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You're welcome. I have migraine issues so am concerned too about eye strain and flickering and crap. I always wonder a bit about optometrists, though because often they are selling you glasses or coatings etc. Here is what the opthalmologists say, the "party line" if you will:

Blue Light and Digital Eye Strain

My issue is that one of my post concussion issues has been vision impairment which has caused nasty headaches. From what my doctor told me, my eyes are swollen and my current prescription is too strong and won't allow my eyes to relax. I thought the dark circles under my eyes were just being tired and all that but it turns out they are actually bruises. She's reduced my prescription and when I asked about bluelight she said they may help with the healing process. I hope it works because I have no desire to do medicated eye drops.

Oh, also I started practicing the 20/20/20 rule on days where I am having to be on the computer for long periods: every 20 minutes, stare at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This reduces eye strain and I can attest that it works.

I've just started doing this and it is helping. I also put in my contacts and while my headache is there, it is much more manageable. I work from home so I am able to keep a sterile environment in the event I need to remove them which I may do now that I'm taking a break for lunch.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
You seem to have a lot to say about teachers, hybrid schooling, and remote learning options. How old are your children?

I was gonna say the same.

My fiance is a special ed teacher in Worcester and she works longer hours now remote than she did in person. She comes from a family of teachers and a couple of her older relatives are retiring since they can't get a handle on the remote learning stuff. Its a trying situation all around for all parties.

There really isn't anyone that needs to be blamed its just something we have to get through.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Once the hard to find items started coming back in stock, we assumed there would be shortages later down the road if it spiked again, so we've been stocking up the entire time. Only a matter of time. The only thing we've had a difficult time finding is rubbing alcohol for some weird reason. Disinfectant, wipes, TP, and canned goods are all fine. Freezer is stocked with beef and chicken.
Yea I can't find that either and I am almost out as I use it to soak my earrings in as well as sterilize my headphones.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

My fiance is a special ed teacher in Worcester and she works longer hours now remote than she did in person. She comes from a family of teachers and a couple of her older relatives are retiring since they can't get a handle on the remote learning stuff. Its a trying situation all around for all parties.

There really isn't anyone that needs to be blamed its just something we have to get through.
It sucks for everyone. I can tell my daughters teacher has had it and looks as though she has thrown in the towel.
Every school needs to be at least hybrid at this point in this state. There is no reason why kids grade 5 and under are in full week remote learning right now. None whatsoever. They arent learning anything. Its just a waste at this point.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Exactly. It's not like they all wanted to do this. It basically makes their jobs far more difficult. It's just something you have to deal with and get past.

For example, my town opted for FVLS as their remote option, but they didn't actually understand what they bought. This was due to them making the decision on cost alone, and not paying attention to what they were getting for what they paid. After digging around and finding the SW license agreement, it turns out that the town bought access to the online course work and were supposed to provide live teachers to go with it to support the courses online. They didn't provide that, so the remote kids have all been doing a self paced online program with no teacher leading a classroom to support the online material. Basically it's on par with them giving a kid a text book and saying good luck. Could I be a baby and whine about it? Sure, but what good will that do? Instead, the remote kid's parents all banded up together and went back to the school and the schools are now providing facilitators to support the online course work. 4 weeks into the program...lol

Reactions: Alicat

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Exactly. It's not like they all wanted to do this. It basically makes their jobs far more difficult. It's just something you have to deal with and get past.

For example, my town opted for FVLS as their remote option, but they didn't actually understand what they bought. This was due to them making the decision on cost alone, and not paying attention to what they were getting for what they paid. After digging around and finding the SW license agreement, it turns out that the town bought access to the online course work and were supposed to provide live teachers to go with it to support the courses online. They didn't provide that, so the remote kids have all been doing a self paced online program with no teacher leading a classroom to support the online material. Basically it's on par with them giving a kid a text book and saying good luck. Could I be a baby and whine about it? Sure, but what good will that do? Instead, the remote kid's parents all banded up together and went back to the school and the schools are now providing facilitators to support the online course work. 4 weeks into the program...lol

I felt bad for the administration the other night. Worcester held like a virtual public forum for parents to voice their opinions to the school district admins and the mayor.

I was surprised the amount of times I heard a parent get on and immediately steer the conversation into politics. "You guys are just keeping the schools closed because you hate Trump!" one fine citizen shouted with a straight face. There people spouting anti vax stuff, the 99% statistic. There was one wonderful woman who started out "I am not like you people, and I won't sit here and explain to you guys why you are wrong but I am a proud Trump supporter and---" And she just went off about the economy and how the schools are letting politics get in the way of education.

If there is a perfect solution out there I think the schools would listen and try it but so far I haven't seen anything.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
My mother's a teacher out here in Minnesota.

We've been in far worse shape than you guys out east.

Had my mom been forced to return to school, even in a hybrid model, she would've quit. She's high risk, and even if she wasn't, didn't want to not see her daughter, brother-in-law, and nephew for who knows how long.

Thankfully, a fairly substantial portion of her district's parents wanted a 100% distance option, and her school was able to accommodate her. She's one of 3 2nd grade teachers that are teaching full distance classes. Each grade level has at least 2.

It's a MASSIVE amount of work, far more than she did in classroom (and she was already doing 60 hour weeks in classroom). I'd guess she's putting in 70 hours a week. That's with splitting some work load with her fellow second grade teachers. She has taken just one full day not doing anything since the school year started, and that was last week.

Certainly not an ideal scenario, but things are going far better than in the spring. Everyone has the right expectations and the planning and structure is far better.

On another note... It's snowing pretty hard here in the Twin Cities. We're going end up with 4 inches by tonight... On October 20. Absurd. I didn't even get all of the leaves raked.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Great post. Your fiancé is a good one. Her job cannot be easy.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I felt bad for the administration the other night. Worcester held like a virtual public forum for parents to voice their opinions to the school district admins and the mayor.

I was surprised the amount of times I heard a parent get on and immediately steer the conversation into politics. "You guys are just keeping the schools closed because you hate Trump!" one fine citizen shouted with a straight face. There people spouting anti vax stuff, the 99% statistic. There was one wonderful woman who started out "I am not like you people, and I won't sit here and explain to you guys why you are wrong but I am a proud Trump supporter and---" And she just went off about the economy and how the schools are letting politics get in the way of education.

If there is a perfect solution out there I think the schools would listen and try it but so far I haven't seen anything.

I'm a town over from Worcester and they're full remote because logistically it made no sense to bring them back for just a hybrid model. Way too many moving parts for the busses and walkers alone to make it safe for the kids to even get there. No politics, just some common sense. Just like when Worcester calls it a snow day before the snow has started falling. Too many walkers = too much risk, so they cancel.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
With the way that guy continually avoids answering my questions about how old his kids are, it's making me think he doesn't have any. Which is weird because why would you be so vocally invested in having kids return to school, criticize the remote learning options, and rail on about how poorly teachers are at their jobs, if you don't actually have any kids?
Par for the course with him in regards to all things covid.

Reactions: Ladyfan and lopey

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Par for the course with him in regards to all things covid.

I went through shit like this in my town when the schools sent every parent that has a child enrolled a survey about whether they'd do a full return, hybrid, or remote. Some asshat in town posted the link to social media so a slew of people who had no skin in the game responded and invalidated the survey. It was f***ing infuriating because why do you give a shit if you're not impacted? Mind your own business and stay out of things that don't concern you.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Sorry to get “political” but seen a commercial out here saying if you vote or don’t vote it’s now public record. First I have heard of something like this and it feels/sounds illegal. Invasion of privacy much?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sorry to get “political” but seen a commercial out here saying if you vote or don’t vote it’s now public record. First I have heard of something like this and it feels/sounds illegal. Invasion of privacy much?

Pretty sure that's not true. Also saw some similar stuff floating around twitter about this where registered voters are being told how to vote through threatening emails.

You can tell its crunch time by the volume of bullshit being thrown around. Hang on, it's only going to get worse the closer we get to election day...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Voter registration logs have always been public for campaigns and a quick google search shows that your state will release this information to anyone for a fee.

Access To and Use Of Voter Registration Lists

As Lonnie says, it sounds like a scam meant to intimidate voters

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm embarrassed by how much TP and paper towels I have right now. I get some every time I go to the grocery store.

Every time I see wipes, I grab one and I also snagged some concentrate so I can make my own cleaning solution.
Me too :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Alicat
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Was so looking forward to having fun in Salem this year, but my fiancee is holding off. I've been told it's been really busy there. Anybody prove this? I live in Rhode Island so it's not too far from me

Reactions: LSCII

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Was so looking forward to having fun in Salem this year, but my fiancee is holding off. I've been told it's been really busy there. Anybody prove this? I live in Rhode Island so it's not too far from me
I heard many events have been canceled. Wait until next year.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I cannot officially, but I have a friend that lives in Salem, and anecdotally speaking, he's said it's been far more crowded than he would have thought during a pandemic.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Big cliff hangers to end season 2. Very excited to start season 3 when it's released....

Cliffhanger or a half hour of mayhem? Damn what a rush! The whole show is straight cheese, but I loved every minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad