Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How many of these has there been this season? Seems like way too high
It's ridiculously high.

23 since the season started (29 since training camp started, if you want to count those)

To put it in perspective, last year, the 2017-18 season, there were 9 in-season (so from opening day when rosters were set to the start of playoffs).
2016-17: 7
2015-16: 12
2014-15: 14
2013-14: 7
2012-13: none (Lockout, half season)

There's something in the water this year!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's ridiculously high.

23 since the season started (29 since training camp started, if you want to count those)

To put it in perspective, last year, the 2017-18 season, there were 9 in-season (so from opening day when rosters were set to the start of playoffs).
2016-17: 7
2015-16: 12
2014-15: 14
2013-14: 7
2012-13: none (Lockout, half season)

There's something in the water this year!

For all the talk about how Shipachyov was a major blunder last year, it seems to have started a trend.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
On the Habs board a poster of ours @Chili made a post about how there were 42 signings from Europe this off-season, higher odds of buyouts being done for players giving up on the experience of North America. Although a few of them has been prospects retiring too.
That's what really gets me, the number of players who signed just this offseason and have walked, and how short they stayed

13 guys..!

Anton Rodin - signed July 1 - terminated September 30 (92 days)
Jan Kovar - signed July 9 - terminated October 11 (95 days)
Michael Fora - signed July 1 - terminated October 20 (112 days)
Yasin Ehliz - signed July 1 - terminated November 5 (128 days)
Carl Persson - signed May 9 - terminated November 8 (184 days)
Dennis Everberg - signed July 1 - terminated November 14 (137 days)
Michael Lindqvist - signed May 2 - terminated November 14 (197 days)
Eric Martinsson - signed May 2 - terminated November 28 (211 days)
Sergei Shumakov - signed September 1 - terminated December 7 (98 days)
Martin Bakos - signed July 1 - terminated December 11 (164 days)
Michal Cajkovsky - signed September 27 - terminated December 29 (94 days)
Miroslav Svoboda - signed April 26 - terminated January 9 (259 days)
Michal Moravcik - signed May 28 - terminated January 29 (247 days)

If we ignored all the other terminations, that number alone would be the second highest total ever, and we're only just over half way through the season.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
That's what really gets me, the number of players who signed just this offseason and have walked, and how short they stayed

13 guys..!

Anton Rodin - signed July 1 - terminated September 30 (92 days)
Jan Kovar - signed July 9 - terminated October 11 (95 days)
Michael Fora - signed July 1 - terminated October 20 (112 days)
Yasin Ehliz - signed July 1 - terminated November 5 (128 days)
Carl Persson - signed May 9 - terminated November 8 (184 days)
Dennis Everberg - signed July 1 - terminated November 14 (137 days)
Michael Lindqvist - signed May 2 - terminated November 14 (197 days)
Eric Martinsson - signed May 2 - terminated November 28 (211 days)
Sergei Shumakov - signed September 1 - terminated December 7 (98 days)
Martin Bakos - signed July 1 - terminated December 11 (164 days)
Michal Cajkovsky - signed September 27 - terminated December 29 (94 days)
Miroslav Svoboda - signed April 26 - terminated January 9 (259 days)
Michal Moravcik - signed May 28 - terminated January 29 (247 days)

If we ignored all the other terminations, that number alone would be the second highest total ever, and we're only just over half way through the season.
I assume ruble going down and teams trying to get every advantage they can get/less discrimination against undersized players or foreign ones has something to do with it. Some of them feel they have no shot at the NHL or underestimate how hard it is to make it I guess.

Reactions: uncleben

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
On the Habs board a poster of ours @Chili made a post about how there were 42 signings from Europe this off-season, higher odds of buyouts being done for players giving up on the experience of North America. Although a few of them has been prospects retiring too.
I made up my list last August using Sports Forcaster information so looking at UncleBen`s post, there were players signed afterwards (i.e. I didn`t have Shumakov).

I have noticed in prior years that the bulk of the European free agents signed by NHL teams are back in Europe pretty quickly (often within a year). My guess is the biggest reason is the adjustment to the smaller ice surface which results in a different game, much more physical.

Add: After reviewing my list for later signings, should have read at least 44 NHL signings of European pro players last summer (instead of 42).

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
.. Some of them feel they have no shot at the NHL or underestimate how hard it is to make it I guess.

... My guess is the biggest reason is the adjustment to the smaller ice surface which results in a different game, much more physical.

i think these guys, once they realize they don't have automatic path to NHL,
just prefer playing in a 'major' pro league, even if in the lesser prestige Euro-leagues, and playing in a bigger cities, on teams with more established pros

rather than biding their time in the AHL/ECHL
with tiny towns, tiny crowds, long bus trips, and mish-mash rosters of
ranked prospects, long shots, buried overpaid borderline NHL'ers, career minor leaguers, goons, and former college/junior players not ready to hang 'em up.

similarly, the teams get a better feel for the player's fit in NA after a few months here

in the past, teams typically just waited out the term of 'buyer's remorse 'contracts, but with these Euro imports, release offers quicker solution, and roster relief

lately, we have even seen these releases involving NA players, who dissolve their NHL deals, to sign minor league contracts for what they hope will be a better situation

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
i think these guys, once they realize they don't have automatic path to NHL,
just prefer playing in a 'major' pro league, even if in the lesser prestige Euro-leagues, and playing in a bigger cities, on teams with more established pros

rather than biding their time in the AHL/ECHL
with tiny towns, tiny crowds, long bus trips, and mish-mash rosters of
ranked prospects, long shots, buried overpaid borderline NHL'ers, career minor leaguers, goons, and former college/junior players not ready to hang 'em up.

similarly, the teams get a better feel for the player's fit in NA after a few months here

in the past, teams typically just waited out the term of 'buyer's remorse 'contracts, but with these Euro imports, release offers quicker solution, and roster relief

lately, we have even seen these releases involving NA players, who dissolve their NHL deals, to sign minor league contracts for what they hope will be a better situation
For sure, some can make more money with less travel and fewer games in Europe. Come over, give it a shot and head back to what you know when it`s the best option.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Loaning a player back to Europe used to be a relatively popular comprise.

Since a lot of players are now entering the league at a younger age, I would guess that NHL teams are less patient with older prospects, especially the ones with low NHL upside.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Going down for conditioning, have to think he'll be with the team in a week or two.

I mean they wouldn't have to waive him if that was the case but i guess they figured nobody picks up that contract for a guy who hasn't played a game yet this year.

Conditioning stints don't need waivers.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
They do, if it's longer than 14 days.

Sure, but you wouldn't waive him at the beginning of it.

I don't like guessing, but I actually would think that maybe Florida believe there's just not enough season left for him to get back into NHL game shape.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the assignment is longer than 14 days than it isn't a Conditioning Loan within the meaning of that term in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Of course, the person who first stated "conditioning" didn't state loan at all....

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Sabres did the same with Scott Wilson, who missed basically the first half of the season. Waived him down to Rochester so he could get more games to get back in shape.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Sure, but you wouldn't waive him at the beginning of it.

I don't like guessing, but I actually would think that maybe Florida believe there's just not enough season left for him to get back into NHL game shape.

I'd rather waive him as an unknown now than send him down on a conditioning stint, show he's recovered and lose McGinn on waivers if they want him in Springfield...

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Keeping Holl over Marincin is questionable, but nothing lost if either are claimed, anyway.
That said, Marincin is decent enough depth if someone claims him.
He's not as bad as some people want to believe, just he's not that great, either.
Probably won't displace any 6 or 7 Ds, but if there are injuries, I can see someone taking him to fill a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad