OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
My Wildcats just won in OT over Florida Atlantic, last year's Cinderella team. Will probably be crushed by UConn in the next round, but that's Sunday's problem.

Here comes another round of fundraising emails into my inbox.

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don’t get the love affair the Americans have with college sports at all.
It baffled me at first when I moved down here. Over the years I've learned a lot, especially since Chicago is full of Big-10 alum. Plus I have first hand experience from my time at Northwestern and their constant engagement efforts.

US colleges are great at tying one's identity as an alum of that school to their sports teams (e.g., targeted marketing, fan events, etc...). It works because attending said college often happens to be a defining time in one's life (i.e., made friends, met spouse, started your career), so people have fond memories with which they want to re-engage. Colleges nurture this connection because it nets them lots of money in alum donations.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
It baffled me at first when I moved down here. Over the years I've learned a lot, especially since Chicago is full of Big-10 alum. Plus I have first hand experience from my time at Northwestern and their constant engagement efforts.

US colleges are great at tying one's identity as an alum of that school to their sports teams (e.g., targeted marketing, fan events, etc...). It works because attending said college often happens to be a defining time in one's life (i.e., made friends, met spouse, started your career), so people have fond memories with which they want to re-engage. Colleges nurture this connection because it nets them lots of money in alum donations.
That makes sense.

What I don't get is the Canadian fans who are die hard fans of colleges in the US that they never attended. I always laugh at a Duke basketball hardo from like Grande Prairie lol

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That makes sense.

What I don't get is the Canadian fans who are die hard fans of colleges in the US that they never attended. I always laugh at a Duke basketball hardo from like Grande Prairie lol
Probably the same way people get into NFL and pre-Raptors NBA. Shits on tv and then start following.

There's that and if you are a big NBA or NFL fan and your team stinks you start to be curious about what is out there that can help you in the upcoming draft, so you start following college sports.

Listening to American talk radio gets me thinking more about College sports as well. How the hell I'd ever add College Football to my schedule is another story, but lots of intriguing talk since the season ended that has me more interested than ever.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sorry, can't help myself.

Sing it!

1711822455849.jpeg

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Veterans Affairs Canada trolled for 'politically correct' Easter tweet: 'Happy March holiday season'​

Happy March Holiday everyone! What happens to the "March holiday" when "Easter" falls in April? Do we get 2 holidays? Despite not being able to say that horrible word, "Easter", they have no problem not working Good Friday and Easter Monday.

More madness from our politically correct government.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Veterans Affairs Canada trolled for 'politically correct' Easter tweet: 'Happy March holiday season'​

Happy March Holiday everyone! What happens to the "March holiday" when "Easter" falls in April? Do we get 2 holidays? Despite not being able to say that horrible word, "Easter", they have no problem not working Good Friday and Easter Monday.

That's the world we live in these days. It's Easter, if you don't like it then tough shit.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Yet they will go out of their way to honour every religious holiday other than any Christian one by name. I am not religious but this whitewashing of our traditions is sickening already. We get Pride Month crammed up our asses ad nauseam but noooooooo can do when it comes to calling Easter by its actual f***ing name. I mean we lost Christmas two decades ago to "Holidays" and Easter has been all about bunnies now for the same length of time. But we cant even call it Easter anymore. Like holy f*** already I am tired of this shit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yet they will go out of their way to honour every religious holiday other than any Christian one by name. I am not religious but this whitewashing of our traditions is sickening already. We get Pride Month crammed up our asses ad nauseam but noooooooo can do when it comes to calling Easter by its actual f***ing name. I mean we lost Christmas two decades ago to "Holidays" and Easter has been all about bunnies now for the same length of time. But we cant even call it Easter anymore. Like holy f*** already I am tired of this shit.
Absolutely nothing against Muslims, but as an example, I'm sure these politically correct types go out of their way to wish people of that faith "Ramadan Mubarak' or 'Ramadan Kareem" during those times, in order to show off their own "inclusion" and "diversity" and "tolerance".

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00