OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Made it the middle of nowhere in Southern Illinois for the total eclipse. I missed the 2017 one that occurred in this same location. Numerous friends who made the trip said it was an amazing experience. We're only forecast to have 20% cloud cover this afternoon so hopefully that prediction holds.

Reactions: bellagiobob

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Absolutely nothing against Muslims, but as an example, I'm sure these politically correct types go out of their way to wish people of that faith "Ramadan Mubarak' or 'Ramadan Kareem" during those times, in order to show off their own "inclusion" and "diversity" and "tolerance".
I heard Merry Christmas all the time...you guys sure love getting triggered over nothing burgers...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_3250.jpeg

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have watched the sun with a large chunk missing twice before this and it was interesting. Today when it was totally blocked out by the moon was one of those awe inspiring moments of nature.
I wish I was closer to the full eclipse.

I think they said it was a 95% eclipse where I am and it was a big letdown. I kept hearing it was going to get dark as night for a few minutes, but I probably wouldn't have noticed it was even happening if I didn't know about it.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I wish I was closer to the full eclipse.

I think they said it was a 95% eclipse where I am and it was a big letdown. I kept hearing it was going to get dark as night for a few minutes, but I probably wouldn't have noticed it was even happening if I didn't know about it.
Total eclipses are a completely different experience than partial ones. Mainly because the sun is so damn bright that even if 99% of it is blocked it's still reasonably bright outside. It's only when the moon fully blocks the sun where one is plunged into instant darkness with the mesmerizing halo effect. We even saw two bright red dots around the edge, which were solar prominences (solar flares erupting off the surface of the Sun that are 5 times the diameter of Earth).

Good news is that the next total eclipse that traverses a significant portion of North America will cross most of Alberta in 2044. I imagine being in the mountains would be an extra amazing experience.

Reactions: ZJuice

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
Absolutely nothing against Muslims, but as an example, I'm sure these politically correct types go out of their way to wish people of that faith "Ramadan Mubarak' or 'Ramadan Kareem" during those times, in order to show off their own "inclusion" and "diversity" and "tolerance".
I can't go a day without hearing or reading someone use the name of Jesus as a curse, or using a curse with His name. The one time I used Muhammad in lieu of a swear word, the comment was deleted by HF mods.

Reactions: oilers'72

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I can't go a day without hearing or reading someone use the name of Jesus as a curse, or using a curse with His name. The one time I used Muhammad in lieu of a swear word, the comment was deleted by HF mods.
It’s like NHL refereeing. If you ever get it figured out let us all know.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting how a week after it was talked about widely here the 4liter plastic Vodka jugs (milk jugs) are being looked at closely with a view to banning their sales. Thing is, we have provincial ALCB and regulations. How were these being allowed in first place. Its a slap in the face to the Alberta distillery industry and those that make good product, and that their livelihood is being undersold by this cheapest possible rotgut sold in the cheapest possible containers.

Also misleading in coverage is they've mentioned on the Vodka sales of the 4L jugs. Because an Edmonton Journal reporter threw up a picture online. So that the whole dialog on news so far has focused on the Vodka. The same Liquor store chain is also selling White Rum, Gin in the exact same containers at basement prices. I've been in these stores. I think they might even have Rye in these.

Its so lol to look at this whole thing and how it was somehow allowed and that now they are focusing just on the Vodka, when all spirits are being sold in these milk jugs. Who is even producing this crap.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Interesting how a week after it was talked about widely here the 4liter plastic Vodka jugs (milk jugs) are being looked at closely with a view to banning their sales. Thing is, we have provincial ALCB and regulations. How were these being allowed in first place. Its a slap in the face to the Alberta distillery industry and those that make good product, and that their livelihood is being undersold by this cheapest possible rotgut sold in the cheapest possible containers.

Also misleading in coverage is they've mentioned on the Vodka sales of the 4L jugs. Because an Edmonton Journal reporter threw up a picture online. So that the whole dialog on news so far has focused on the Vodka. The same Liquor store chain is also selling White Rum, Gin in the exact same containers at basement prices. I've been in these stores. I think they might even have Rye in these.

Its so lol to look at this whole thing and how it was somehow allowed and that now they are focusing just on the Vodka, when all spirits are being sold in these milk jugs. Who is even producing this crap.

T-Rex Distilleries in St Albert. Apparently the liquor store is the guilty party heavily marking down the spirit which was originally being sold for $65. They were using the vodka product as a loss leader is what the article said.

I remember when I had my place in Phoenix you could buy a half gallon of Vodka for $9.99 (US) in a plastic container. The alcoholic special Mrs5 and I used to call it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
T-Rex Distilleries in St Albert. Apparently the liquor store is the guilty party heavily marking down the spirit which was originally being sold for $65. They were using the vodka product as a loss leader is what the article said.

I remember when I had my place in Phoenix you could buy a half gallon of Vodka for $9.99 (US) in a plastic container. The alcoholic special Mrs5 and I used to call it.
This isn’t directed at you, just jumping off your post as it was the last one on the topic. I followed this story in the news as well.

Like it was stated, if I were a distiller like T Rex I’d be severely pissed. All booze has to be approved by the ALCB because they control the warehousing and distribution to the retail stores. So it received regulatory approval to be containered and sold in that quantity.

Then the free market does its thing (and it wasn’t illegal) and the UCP senses a “potential” societal backlash because of some wokester journalist at EJ, so they apply media pressure on their own regulatory board and a private business and try to look like they are “on the case” and on the side of the pearl clutchers.

I’m a dyed in the wool right sider, but the UCP had no business sticking their noses in a matter that met their own regulatory requirements and was being legally sold.

And before others get their panties in knots, I totally agree that alcohol impacts and in some cases causes certain societal problems, associated medical issues and pressure on the healthcare industry, but so too does a myriad of other things. That horse left the barn decades ago.

I can’t wait to see what they do when Safeway has a 2 for 1 sale on the big bags of Doritos or Taco Bell promotes their value menu items at reduced prices.

Call the police!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This isn’t directed at you, just jumping off your post as it was the last one on the topic. I followed this story in the news as well.

Like it was stated, if I were a distiller like T Rex I’d be severely pissed. All booze has to be approved by the ALCB because they control the warehousing and distribution to the retail stores. So it received regulatory approval to be containered and sold in that quantity.

Then the free market does its thing (and it wasn’t illegal) and the UCP senses a “potential” societal backlash because of some wokester journalist at EJ, so they apply media pressure on their own regulatory board and a private business and try to look like they are “on the case” and on the side of the pearl clutchers.

I’m a dyed in the wool right sider, but the UCP had no business sticking their noses in a matter that met their own regulatory requirements and was being legally sold.

And before others get their panties in knots, I totally agree that alcohol impacts and in some cases causes certain societal problems, associated medical issues and pressure on the healthcare industry, but so too does a myriad of other things. That horse left the barn decades ago.

I can’t wait to see what they do when Safeway has a 2 for 1 sale on the big bags of Doritos or Taco Bell promotes their value menu items at reduced prices.

Call the police!!
Funny thing is that Grand Prairie vodka goes for 25 bucks for 1.75L which is actually cheaper than this T-Rex stuff and I don't hear them getting into any trouble.

Edit: I see this T-Rex stuff varies and might be cheaper than the 65 I originally read. Either way I don't see the issue.

If they can make it for so cheap and people are buying I rather have those small businesses going rather than to big corporations.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad