Speculation: Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson next contracts

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I thought I remember last offseason there being some discussion around arbitration interfering with the acceptance of offer sheets. If so, is it possible the club encouraged them to start that process?

From https://www.silversevensens.com/2015/6/25/8773751/nhl-offer-sheet-explained-rules-guide
How can you avoid an offer sheet?

Easiest way is to sign your RFAs before they can start talking to other teams.

Players that have elected to go to salary arbitration cannot be given an offer sheet, though there are a few days to get one if they wait to the deadline to file.

A player being taken to arbitration by a team has limited opportunity to sign an offer sheet - it has to be done before 5pm (New York time) on July 5th.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
I never really paid attention to the arbitration rules in the CBA. But they only award 1-2 year contracts and will take the player in to UFA. To me, this is perfect for SY, even if the cap hit is high for 1 year. Its kind of a 'show me' that you can stay healthy for TJ and it gets a lot of lower priced Palat like players a year in Syracuse to see what they can do. Also, if a 2 year contract is awarded and is over 4M I believe, the team can walk away from the 2nd year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I never really paid attention to the arbitration rules in the CBA. But they only award 1-2 year contracts and will take the player in to UFA. To me, this is perfect for SY, even if the cap hit is high for 1 year. Its kind of a 'show me' that you can stay healthy for TJ and it gets a lot of lower priced Palat like players a year in Syracuse to see what they can do. Also, if a 2 year contract is awarded and is over 4M I believe, the team can walk away from the 2nd year.

It most likely won't get to arbitration. Filing for arbitration will likely get the negotiations moving. I expect a signing for these two soon.

Another thing that wouldn't surprise me is SY trading Tyler Johnson for a top six winger. Point really stepped up last year and TJ is proving to be injury prone. I wouldn't want to trade him but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Especially if negotiations aren't going well.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

It's extremely unlikely that they get to arbitration.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It most likely won't get to arbitration. Filing for arbitration will likely get the negotiations moving. I expect a signing for these two soon.

Another thing that wouldn't surprise me is SY trading Tyler Johnson for a top six winger. Point really stepped up last year and TJ is proving to be injury prone. I wouldn't want to trade him but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Especially if negotiations aren't going well.

I would rather trade Johnson for a top 4 D and then move one of Dotchin or Koekkoek for a top 6 winger.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Probably a 99 percent chance it won't go to arbitration. The lightning want to sign palat and Johnson long term and they both want to as well. I expect the deals done in 1-3 weeks.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
The rules of the CBA arbitration do help management with leverage in lowering the term of the contract. I agree, it probably will not go to arbitration. I really want to see a shorter term deal with TJ. His knee sprains are chronic. A lot of games over the last 2 years, he played, but wasn't near 100%. We have very good depth at F with our prospects. A long term deal with TJ really scares me. And Palat can be replaced within a few years with a lower priced quality player. But a longer term deal with Palat wouldn't bother me as much as TJ., though, TJ does have the advantage of being a C and them being in demand.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I have to wonder if Yzerman isn't too attached to the SCF core to do such a trade.

If he did, who do you think is realistic?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I have to wonder if Yzerman isn't too attached to the SCF core to do such a trade.

If he did, who do you think is realistic?

I don't think he is "attached" to them. I do think he wants to get them signed but there is a big picture that he looks at and this is winning a Cup. If he thinks we have a better chance at winning a cup by trading one of these guys then he will do it. However there's also what he feels is realistic, and I have said this before but I have a feeling that SY feels our best chances of winning are in the future. All of his moves this offseason point to this in my opinion. He traded Drouin for futures. He had some opportunities to trade for some guys (Hjmarlsson, Methot, etc.) but opted not to because those guys required futures. We gave out short term contracts to veterans instead of overpaying for some guys who could have helped us now.

I think he still feels like our team can contend now but he's building this team for 2-3 years from now. When we have a boatload of prospects being ready to play professional hockey. I think he likes his core now and does believe they can win and go far. They have before. I just don't think he's interested in handicapping the future of this team. No focusing on one doesn't mean it necessarily takes away from another but in a cap world you have to make good decisions with what your doing. Who you are signing and for how long. Tyler Johnson just feels like a guy who could be moved because of his history of injuries. There's questions there in whether he will be able to play long term. Stamkos had that question too and is definitely a reason why he wasn't handed a blank cheque. Also again he doesn't want to handicap the future of his team. Stamkos has scored 60 goals before and is a guy you can market your team around. Tyler Johnson is a guy who is a fan favorite yes but he's got a replacement sitting right there ready to play TJs spot. It makes sense for SY to move him. I personally don't want him to but it would be a way that SY could improve his team now and not jeopardize his future. Just my thoughts.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

Here's the gist from the site you linked

On the Tampa Bay Lightning …

Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times: Both Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat filed for salary arbitration, but there is still plenty of time for the Lightning to sign them. Hearing will be scheduled for late July/early August.

The Lightning have over $13.5 million on salary cap space and it doesn’t sound like they are far apart on a deal.

[Smith] thinks that Johnson could sign a deal around $5 million a season, with Palat coming in a little lower.

You might be better served to reference the original article rather than some random rumor site

Joe Smith:

Keep in mind, the Lightning and Palat/Johnson can continue to negotiate until the hearings. It wouldn't be surprising if both Johnson and Palat sign long-term deals before this ever goes to arbitration, like Alex Killorn did last July. It doesn't sound like the parties are far apart. The Lightning has the money - $13.6 million in cap space - and wants to bring both Johnson and Palat back.

But, to this point, neither side has had a pressure point in negotiations, a deadline. And now they do. My best guess is Johnson nets a deal in the $5 million annual average range, Palat possibly slightly less. Both are coming off identical three-year, $10 million bridge deals.

GM Steve Yzerman said Saturday a reason he didn't want to give up much term on free agent deals Saturday was because of looming long-term deals with his own players, like Johnson and Palat. Nikita Kucherov will need a new deal in two years, Andrei Vasilevskiy soon after.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/tyler-johnson-ondrej-palat-file-for-arbitration/2329478

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah getting the 2 of them under 10 million would be a boon, I think we were all expecting 10 million combined at a minimum.

I'm still a huge TJ fan. If he's healthy he's a #1. Just have to roll him up in bubble wrap.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah getting the 2 of them under 10 million would be a boon, I think we were all expecting 10 million combined at a minimum.

I'm still a huge TJ fan. If he's healthy he's a #1. Just have to roll him up in bubble wrap.

The last 3 years he's missed 34 games, Palat has missed 34 games in that span and Stamkos 70. Johnson isn't any more injury prone than our other forwards. Hell Point missed 16 games in just his first season. Luckily we have Killorn who's practically an ironman for us.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The last 3 years he's missed 34 games, Palat has missed 34 games in that span and Stamkos 70. Johnson isn't any more injury prone than our other forwards. Hell Point missed 16 games in just his first season. Luckily we have Killorn who's practically an ironman for us.

The problem isn't missing games as much as playing injured and not being very effective.

That being said - I don't know how much of him "playing hurt" is a forced narrative to explain poor play. But unless there's something obvious (say SCF in '15 where he clearly wasn't right), I generally don't buy the "played hurt" excuse. If you're not a net benefit for the team, you're more valuable on LTIR getting healthy than you are on the ice.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The problem isn't missing games as much as playing injured and not being very effective.

That being said - I don't know how much of him "playing hurt" is a forced narrative to explain poor play. But unless there's something obvious (say SCF in '15 where he clearly wasn't right), I generally don't buy the "played hurt" excuse. If you're not a net benefit for the team, you're more valuable on LTIR getting healthy than you are on the ice.

I absoultely hate this excuse.

Best part is that last off-season Johnson said he could do some "real training" this summer and was 100% healthy ready to go. He then spends 2 months forgetting how to play hockey.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I absoultely hate this excuse.

Best part is that last off-season Johnson said he could do some "real training" this summer and was 100% healthy ready to go. He then spends 2 months forgetting how to play hockey.

Tyler Johnson is a huge key to the bolts success this season. After trading Drouin we really need him to get back to form. If TJ and Stralman get back to form we will have a great season. Stamkos is obvious but I'm willing to give him a little time to get back. Supposedly his injury can take a little time getting your legs back under you again.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I was under the impression that he'd been playing different since he broke his hand during the SCF. If he hasn't been injured, and the jury is still out there, that left some lasting psychological effects.

He looked every bit as good in the second half last season as he did two years ago though, up until....he got hurt again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad