Speculation: Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson next contracts

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

:laugh:

Based on the Johnson deal, we’re expecting the Tampa Bay Lightning to sign Palat to a similar deal, in terms of length, with a slightly higher price tag. Look for the announcement of a deal between $6.5 and $5.5 million AAV over a term of five to seven years to be announced in the next few weeks.

Did Eklund write this? Good Lord!

I can see $5M, $5.5M at max but $6.5M???

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
:laugh:

Did Eklund write this? Good Lord!

I can see $5M, $5.5M at max but $6.5M???

Palat would be traded before Yzerman even bends close to that. If anything, see Palat getting between Killorn and Johnson money for 7 years. It will most likely be 7 years. If I were to guess. 4.85 Million for 7 years.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Palat would be traded before Yzerman even bends close to that. If anything, see Palat getting between Killorn and Johnson money for 7 years. It will most likely be 7 years. If I were to guess. 4.85 Million for 7 years.
I most likely see yzerman doing 5 avv or 5.25 avv for a 7 year term

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
They're just rando fans, no connections. Hilarious too.

EDIT: Wouldn't be surprised if Palats deal is done too, I think he is still in Europe/Ibiza/etc.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I hope it's 4.5 for 8 years. That puts him at 1 mil more than Johnson for a year longer too. It would also leave us with 4 mil in cap space left. Some room to make a move at the deadline or before the season starts.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
They're just rando fans, no connections. Hilarious too.

EDIT: Wouldn't be surprised if Palats deal is done too, I think he is still in Europe/Ibiza/etc.

No he was in the states at Norfolk this past weekend for the Calder cup reunion with Johnson and cooper there .

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I hope it's 4.5 for 8 years. That puts him at 1 mil more than Johnson for a year longer too. It would also leave us with 4 mil in cap space left. Some room to make a move at the deadline or before the season starts.

There is no way palat signs for under 5 per year avv in my opinion! He could sign a one year deal and get at least 6 per year as a Ufa next year.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He'll probably get the same deal as Johnson. Now that Johnson signed his deal, Palat will point to that and expect to get the same deal.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Let's take a look at their production. Does Palat deserve the same deal as TJ or something worse/better:

PzoTWKs.png

(Source: www.hockey-reference.com - great for comparing players btw)

It's crazy how they almost played the exact same number of games in their career - given that both missed a chunk of games due to injuries.
Johnson has him beat in goal scoring. In the regular season Palat has produced a couple more points though. Palat's +/- is a lot higher though (difference: +28) which would suggest Palat's the better defensive player (not shocking either).
Johnson has a tremendous playoff record though. He has a 0.89 point average per playoff game, Palat's 0.63. Johnson also scored 7 more goals in just 1 more game.

Regular season is more or less a wash, Johnson is the goal scorer, Palat the responsible two-way player with slightly more points due to more assists.
Playoff Johnson is a different beast. Palat's been solid but Johnson had two crazy runs.

What do you think?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
And suffer an injury and retire leaving millions on the table ;)

We thought that with stamkos and he waited it out. With a weak FA market Palat being in there he would get over payed by some team big time. I think he will resign long term in tampa but he won't accept a low ball offer by yzerman. he will at least get term and 5 avv or above.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We thought that with stamkos and he waited it out. With a weak FA market Palat being in there he would get over payed by some team big time. I think he will resign long term in tampa but he won't accept a low ball offer by yzerman. he will at least get term and 5 avv or above.

I think it will be around 5. No lower than 4.5 and no higher than 5.5. I think it's already done. Just working out some finer details. Johnson said his was done for a while just needed smaller details worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad