Speculation: Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson next contracts

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Hearing Palat and TyJo might actually sign short term deals for somewhere between 3m-4.5m.

Something like Kuch signed. Shorter than people expected for cheaper than we expected.

So basically they're gonna take the same contracts they have now? I find it hard to believe they wont want a little more term after signing a bridge already.

Where are you hearing this from?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hearing Palat and TyJo might actually sign short term deals for somewhere between 3.5m-4.5m.

Something like Kuch signed - shorter than people expected for cheaper than we expected.

This is just hearsay so take it for what it's worth.

3.5m right...

Yzerman would push for short term, neither of these guys deserve long term deals.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
3.5m right...

Yzerman would push for short term, neither of these guys deserve long term deals.

You would think, but in a world where Killorn was signed for 7 years, Johnson and Palat are getting a bit of term lel

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hearing Palat and TyJo might actually sign short term deals for somewhere between 3.5m-4.5m.

Something like Kuch signed - shorter than people expected for cheaper than we expected.

Hmm, don't see them taking a bridge deal after coming out of one. Their last two seasons have brought down their value, which is closer to 5 million, and not 6 million, imo. If Killorn got 7 years, don't see them getting anything less in term.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Not necessarily true. He might try to do what he did with Kuch.

That was Kuch's first contract off of an ELC.

Johnson and Palat have already signed three year contracts off of their ELCs. I don't want very long-term like Sky said, but there is a difference.

If Yzerman can pull of 3 years again I'll be impressed.

And where did you hear that from, again?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Given how long this is taking I think it's safe to assume that Yzerman has already submitted his "Take it or leave it" offer to both players.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Given how long this is taking I think it's safe to assume that Yzerman has already submitted his "Take it or leave it" offer to both players.

This. He's not going to budge. I mean he stood his ground a whole year with Stamkos at 8.5 and he's the franchise.

I will admit our team will be even worse without these two but Yzerman won't blink twice about it.

I do think its taking longer than I thought it would

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Probably he submitted to them a few weeks back Stevie y Is not moving. But arbitration could award more cap hit short term then yzerman wants! But it would avoid us giving them long term deals. Arbitration gives them 1-2 year deals. Palat and Johnny will wait to the last min before arbitration and accept yzermans offer! So they may as well just accept it right now if they want to stay long term in Tampa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This. He's not going to budge. I mean he stood his ground a whole year with Stamkos at 8.5 and he's the franchise.

I will admit our team will be even worse without these two but Yzerman won't blink twice about it.

I do think its taking longer than I thought it would

Arbitration is probably going to throw a wrench into that. Palat has filed. IMO, he has the stronger case too, since he's outproduced Johnson in recent years. Wouldn't be surprised to see Drej wind up with a $6m deal. We might not have to pay Johnson that much, even though he's been by far the better playoff contributor.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Offer them both 4.75 per year for 8 years keep there cap hits down front load the money do bonuses and stuff come on Stevie.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Offer them both 4.75 per year for 8 years keep there cap hits down front load the money do bonuses and stuff come on Stevie.

More snowmans? Think they would settle with 7 years, and about 500k to 750k more than Killorn.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
More snowmans? Think they would settle with 7 years, and about 500k to 750k more than Killorn.

Doubt we'd be seeing arbitration in that case.

I'm guessing they're both looking for 6+, Yzerman is hanging out around 5, and we're gonna see something like 5.5 in the end, for both. I'm just hoping we keep it under 6 years.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doubt we'd be seeing arbitration in that case.

I'm guessing they're both looking for 6+, Yzerman is hanging out around 5, and we're gonna see something like 5.5 in the end, for both. I'm just hoping we keep it under 6 years.

Well what they are asking for, and what they settle for are two different things of course. May need to tack on a 7th year to keep the AAV down.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Do not know if it has been posted on this thread but palat has filed for arbitration, Johnson yet to do so.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do not know if it has been posted on this thread but palat has filed for arbitration, Johnson yet to do so.

I feel like we would actually benefit from Johnson filing. 2015 was his last/only big regular season. Whereas an arbitrator is likely to award Palat more than we'd want. Good year or bad, Palat's totals always end up around 0.75 ppg, in more/less full seasons.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Where are you hearing this from?

Palat and Johnson are on their last RFA year, they aren't under team control like Kucherov was so the deals aren't comparable.

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
I personally believe that the arbitration is not about the money per year but about the length of the contract. I just hope that there will be no love lost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad