Speculation: Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson next contracts

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think it will be around 5. No lower than 4.5 and no higher than 5.5. I think it's already done. Just working out some finer details. Johnson said his was done for a while just needed smaller details worked out.

ya it takes a while because Johnson's cap was worked out but they do money year by year etc... got a lightning alert on my phone ugh hoping it was a palat signing but it was kuntiz press conference. ugh

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Let's take a look at their production. Does Palat deserve the same deal as TJ or something worse/better:

PzoTWKs.png

(Source: www.hockey-reference.com - great for comparing players btw)

It's crazy how they almost played the exact same number of games in their career - given that both missed a chunk of games due to injuries.
Johnson has him beat in goal scoring. In the regular season Palat has produced a couple more points though. Palat's +/- is a lot higher though (difference: +28) which would suggest Palat's the better defensive player (not shocking either).
Johnson has a tremendous playoff record though. He has a 0.89 point average per playoff game, Palat's 0.63. Johnson also scored 7 more goals in just 1 more game.

Regular season is more or less a wash, Johnson is the goal scorer, Palat the responsible two-way player with slightly more points due to more assists.
Playoff Johnson is a different beast. Palat's been solid but Johnson had two crazy runs.

What do you think?

18 Even Strength goals in 47 playoff games is just sick.

My guess is Palat's number winds up just about the same, although, from looking at that, yeah, it feels like Johnson's $ should be Palat's ceiling. Or maybe it's all about reg season numbers, I don't know.

I'm guessing the NTC takes some time to work out on top of everything else. Whatever the case, I doubt it gets to arbitration.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Let's take a look at their production. Does Palat deserve the same deal as TJ or something worse/better:

PzoTWKs.png

(Source: www.hockey-reference.com - great for comparing players btw)

It's crazy how they almost played the exact same number of games in their career - given that both missed a chunk of games due to injuries.
Johnson has him beat in goal scoring. In the regular season Palat has produced a couple more points though. Palat's +/- is a lot higher though (difference: +28) which would suggest Palat's the better defensive player (not shocking either).
Johnson has a tremendous playoff record though. He has a 0.89 point average per playoff game, Palat's 0.63. Johnson also scored 7 more goals in just 1 more game.

Regular season is more or less a wash, Johnson is the goal scorer, Palat the responsible two-way player with slightly more points due to more assists.
Playoff Johnson is a different beast. Palat's been solid but Johnson had two crazy runs.

What do you think?

Those numbers are indeed crazy, so close during regular season!

I would personally think 4.75 is fair for Palat, given that TyJo scores more goals and is more clutch but if he gets the same deal then that's fair enough I guess. Wouldn't give Palat more than 5 though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I would personally think 4.75 is fair for Palat, given that TyJo scores more goals and is more clutch but if he gets the same deal then that's fair enough I guess. Wouldn't give Palat more than 5 though.

I think Palat has other regular season metrics in his favor. But those post-season numbers are so, so, so tilted in Johnson's favor that it should be a wash at the least.

I mean, from our perspective as fans, it barely matters. We're probably talking about the difference between half a million per season, which isn't going to be the difference between cap trouble and no cap trouble.

So I mean, maybe the term gets us in trouble down the road, but Yzerman's pretty good at getting out of those deals before they kill us. But the money, for the most part, would have to be more/less settled. Gotta think 4.75 - 5.25. But I mean, even if it comes in at a whopping 5.5, it's not like that's gonna hurt in the short-term.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Palat has scored 50+ points in 3 out 4 seasons, how is 4.75 fair?

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I think Palat has other regular season metrics in his favor. But those post-season numbers are so, so, so tilted in Johnson's favor that it should be a wash at the least.

I mean, from our perspective as fans, it barely matters. We're probably talking about the difference between half a million per season, which isn't going to be the difference between cap trouble and no cap trouble.

So I mean, maybe the term gets us in trouble down the road, but Yzerman's pretty good at getting out of those deals before they kill us. But the money, for the most part, would have to be more/less settled. Gotta think 4.75 - 5.25. But I mean, even if it comes in at a whopping 5.5, it's not like that's gonna hurt in the short-term.

Yeah that is fair enough and you are right such a small different won't really matter, if he gets as much as TyJo then I am all good, I just don't see the reasoning for him to get more.

Palat has scored 50+ points in 3 out 4 seasons, how is 4.75 fair?

My reasoning is that goalscoring, playoff performance and being a center is valued slightly more and given the numbers between Palat and TyJo a 4.75 deal would would be fair.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Palat will get the same as Johnson. Probably ironing out the trade clauses and annual salary front load vs back load, not much else. Johnson and Palat are equally important to this team...however our left wing top 6 depth is less than second line C depth.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Money and term both pretty good this time. Solid contract. Need more from him this year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Weird he got 5 and Johnson got 7. We have Point and Howden who look like 2C capable. On the left we have some ok prospects but nothing top 6 for sure to replace him in a few years.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very good deal for Palat. Happy he is back going to get his jersey next game I'm at.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Weird he got 5 and Johnson got 7. We have Point and Howden who look like 2C capable. On the left we have some ok prospects but nothing top 6 for sure to replace him in a few years.

palat contract looks more like hes here full 5 years where johnsons looks like have option on moving cause money break down etc..

shows the confidence of palat imho that would accept the 5 years meaning he feels will get another deal down road etc.. love this guy

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
palat contract looks more like hes here full 5 years where johnsons looks like have option on moving cause money break down etc..

shows the confidence of palat imho that would accept the 5 years meaning he feels will get another deal down road etc.. love this guy

He would be 30 years old as a Ufa I think he could very easy get another 5 year deal after that to age 35.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
4 years ntc and fifth 20 team ntc

gets paid less money in lockout year cash wise too then rest of contract

There was no signing bonuses, which was interesting. Since they get paid out every July 1, before the CBA possibly expires in Sept of that year, a lot of guys are getting bonuses so even if they lockout, they still get a few million no matter what.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

5 years is a long time, so long that I think we don't even have to look at organizational depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad