Speculation: Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson next contracts

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Rumor was Johnson at 5 mill and Palat a little less. Now I'm definitely expecting Palat to sign at 4.85

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Rumor was Johnson at 5 mill and Palat a little less. Now I'm definitely expecting Palat to sign at 4.85

Where was that from? I'm kind of expecting Palat to get more, just for the reg. season numbers.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Guess I got some crappy info on their contracts!

Either way, I'm with the consensus, AAV is ok, term is not.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Joe Smith's column linked in the page before. He's not a very good local beat writer but reading his piece makes it sound like he has someone feeding him whispers, so I'll go with it.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/tyler-johnson-ondrej-palat-file-for-arbitration/2329478

Thanks for the link.

I can't help but think Joe's just throwing stuff at the wall here though. If we get Palat for less than $5m, I'll be ecstatic. Although I hope we figure out a (smart) way to spend the extra cash.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Thanks for the link.

I can't help but think Joe's just throwing stuff at the wall here though. If we get Palat for less than $5m, I'll be ecstatic. Although I hope we figure out a (smart) way to spend the extra cash.
I doubt it palat is with new port sports he gets the same as Johnny maybe a bit more

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for the link.

Smart way to spend it is not spend it (or spend it on a rental at the deadline) and re-sign Kucherov to an 8 year deal on July 1 next offseason.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Smart way to spend it is not spend it (or spend it on a rental at the deadline) and re-sign Kucherov to an 8 year deal on July 1 next offseason.

We can spend it by finding a player on a contract that runs out by then. I don't mind the idea of a rental. We're in a good position to rent.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
My prediction is Palat goes on a 3 or 4 year deal considering he's a winger.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yzerman does not believe in rentals at trade deadlines

I thought he said something along the lines of "in general" he doesn't believe in moving high value assets, but we're rapidly being set up in the most important positions for the foreseeable future. Don't be surprised if we move some assets this year for a solid push.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yzerman does not believe in rentals at trade deadlines

Careful, he didn't say that. He said he doesn't want to pay for rentals, which is close, but there is a very distinguishable difference.

Interestingly, he said that first before the 2011 trade deadline and immediately before acquiring Brewer and Roloson, and hasn't dealt for a rental player since, which is why it might seem like an ironclad rule.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Careful, he didn't say that. He said he doesn't want to pay for rentals, which is close, but there is a very distinguishable difference.

Interestingly, he said that first before the 2011 trade deadline and immediately before acquiring Brewer and Roloson, and hasn't dealt for a rental player since, which is why it might seem like an ironclad rule.

Neither of those players were rentals.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Neither of those players were rentals.

I feel like you're picking a lousy point to disagree with. They each were on the final year of their contracts without having yet negotiated an extension when they were dealt. I think 99.9% of the sports world would still call that a rental despite the distinction that Yzerman was able to re-sign them in the offseason.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I feel like you're picking a lousy point to disagree with. They each were on the final year of their contracts without having yet negotiated an extension when they were dealt. I think 99.9% of the sports world would still call that a rental despite the distinction that Yzerman was able to re-sign them in the offseason.

Even if you classify Brewer as a rental, Roloson wasn't. We had goalie problems since the start of the year and Yzerman was already looking for options in December but the market was tough for goalies. Roloson wasn't aquired at the deadline, he was traded for nearly 2 months beforehand on Jan 1. The only goaltenders that moved on the trade deadline were Montoya (backup), Ellis (who was aquired to be our backup), Anderson and Elliot who were low end goaltenders at the time.

I'm not sure what the sports world would classify what the "intent" is for acquiring a rental because we certainly didn't do that to push us over the top for a playoff run, we legitmately needed a #1 goaltender. Roloson was the only option available and just happened to have 1 year left on his contract but wasn't even available until Dipietro suddenly won 2 games and the Islanders decided to give up on their Roloson who was their #1 all year.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

But he resigned both those players I think he had the idea to keep them both. Yzerman had spots and jobs opened. He does not do rentals anymore because he has no intent to resign him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Makes you wonder what Palat is holding out for. I imagine that their contracts were identical like last time. 5 X 7 is arguably the only deal fair for both players at the same time

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Makes you wonder what Palat is holding out for. I imagine that their contracts were identical like last time. 5 X 7 is arguably the only deal fair for both players at the same time

maybe he wants a 8 year term he is a year younger then johnson remember palat is with new port sports there tough to negotiate with! Until the player says get a deal done with Tampa! Like stamkos, hedman did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad