Once promising players who are on the brink of bustdom

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm shocked we've gotten this far without mention of Puljujarvi. In his defense, Todd Mac needs to kick rocks. But as for Puljujarvi himself, when Mac is fired it's going to be like starting his whole career again.

If he gets a new coach this year and underperforms by the end of next year he's going to get bust labels whether he deserves it or not

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
C'mon man. He's broken 70 points twice in a row. I would kill to have him on my team.

Lol people have absolutely weird definitions of busts these days.

Has back to back 70 point seasons in his LAST 2 YEARS. Scores 16 in 13 playoff points 2 years ago:

Guy on hf with what appears to be confidence: "Draisaitl there I said it" lmao

member 105785

Valeri Nichushkin

Once considered by Jaromir Jagr to be the best player in the world one day.

Now trying to find his spot on the Stars 2nd line. I wouldn't consider him a bust yet but it may never work out for him in Dallas. All the speed, size, and talent in the world and can't put it all together at the same time

A bit of an aside and obviously this sucks for Stars fans because he looked like a top tier talent in his draft year but many Canuck fans were absolutely livid that we took Horvat at 9 instead of Nich

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
a lot of media peoples in Pittsburgh have been flirting with the idea of Murray possibly not being as great as everyone around here thinks.. I've always been afraid of this happening, that's why I seem so concerned with it haha

He's not at all, he's a sieve, personally I just can't stand him as a goaltender, definitely the most overrated tendy, not capable of handling a starter's role over a full season

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll go with a bit of a hotter take and say Josh Ho-Sang.

For a guy who set the junior leagues on fire, he really hasn't done a whole lot at the pro level. It even looked like he took a step back in the AHL last year.

Can't play defense at all (bad news given who's coaching the big club) and seems like he can lack motivation at times.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I'm shocked we've gotten this far without mention of Puljujarvi. In his defense, Todd Mac needs to kick rocks. But as for Puljujarvi himself, when Mac is fired it's going to be like starting his whole career again.

If he gets a new coach this year and underperforms by the end of next year he's going to get bust labels whether he deserves it or not

That already happened last year

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You beat me to it!
Great speed, elite hands but 0 hockey IQ.

Cant beleive he got that contract when he proved nothing the 2 seasons prior.

A Flames fan posted a comparison of Bennett and Drouins stats for the past 3 years and this was my response (everything I state when it comes to the stats is factually correct), "Bennett actually outscored Drouin last year even strength while averaging 3 minutes of TOI a game more (which would probably all be PP time depending on the game). The year before Drouin outscored Bennett by 3 points even strength again averaging 3 minutes of ice time more while playing with way better linemates than Bennett would have had in 16-17. Benny is also a better face-off man, has a toughness to his game and doesn't take **** from anyone where Drouin is butter soft.

Also look at the takeaways and giveaways, Bennett is nearly 2-1 in favour while Drouin is below 1 for 1."

Yet Bennett is labelled a bust on these forums and by fans and Drouin has a $30 million contract and somehow got traded for Sergachev.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Burakovsky is a terrible player. So much promise a couple years back. Vrana has surpassed him already and continues to widen the gap. Organization rushed him severely and his struggles with confidence together have ruined him.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm not sure if Colin Wilson counts, seeing as he is well into his bustdom. Former #7 OA

Underwhelming pick at #7, but not a bust. In the last decade teams have drafted well at that position, but since the 2000 draft the only players I'd consider busts drafted at #7 are Lars Jonsson, Rostislav Olesz and Peter Mueller.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Girgensons.

He was one of the few bright spots on some putrid Sabres lineups and was getting called a younger, cheaper Ryan O'Reilly. Now he's getting ~13 minutes a game and might be getting healthy scratched at some point in this season.

Reactions: Alerion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad