Once promising players who are on the brink of bustdom

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm not sure if Colin Wilson counts, seeing as he is well into his bustdom. Former #7 OA
He looks like he’s being shot out of a cannon every shift so far this year, and he’s scoring. May be healthier than he’s been in awhile, he’s playing like he wants to crush it. Playing very well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Two words:Contract season
If he keeps it up, who cares?

I think you’re right but usually that’s about a guy making sure he gets a few extra million, I think this guy knows if he plays like last year he’s out of the league and has inspiration just to keep his career going. I don’t mind that kind of contract year hustling at all. If he wasn’t getting it before, he’s getting it now.

I also think he’s healthier than he’s been though.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If he keeps it up, who cares?

I think you’re right but usually that’s about a guy making sure he gets a few extra million, I think this guy knows if he plays like last year he’s out of the league and has inspiration just to keep his career going. I don’t mind that kind of contract year hustling at all. If he wasn’t getting it before, he’s getting it now.

I also think he’s healthier than he’s been though.

If he keeps it up it means hes a lazy plug who hasn't been worth the 4th line for more than two years and suddenly turn it on when hes facing a contract expiration. Anyone who gives him significant money and term on his next deal is a fool

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Auston Matthews. He’s supposed to be the best player of all time and he’s tied in points with a defenceman.

Lol what happened to that garbage sniper who was supposed to be next Ovie? I guess he is still not done scoring on his own net, right? What a bust!

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
For us it's Connor Brown. 20 goal rookie season. Useless offensively ever since. He looks terrible this year
for YOU its connor brown maybe, but you shouldnt speak for leafs fans since most, like myself wouldnt agree with you. dude was a 7th round draft pick and scored 20 in his rookie year. ye he scored 6 goals less last year but hes a beast of a PKer and a good all around player...lol how many 7th rounders even make the NHL????

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
for YOU its connor brown maybe, but you shouldnt speak for leafs fans since most, like myself wouldnt agree with you. dude was a 7th round draft pick and scored 20 in his rookie year. ye he scored 6 goals less last year but hes a beast of a PKer and a good all around player...lol how many 7th rounders even make the NHL????

It's definitely hard to call any late round pick a bust. I think it's fair to say there is some disappointment with where he is right now compared to what it looked like he might become after his rookie season.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
It's definitely hard to call any late round pick a bust. I think it's fair to say there is some disappointment with where he is right now compared to what it looked like he might become after his rookie season.
lol he went from 20 goals to 14 while taking on an increased role on the PK and being used on effectively every line throughout the course of the season. there are plenty of examples of 2nd year players regressing slightly offensively. we just have a skewed perception because we had matthews and marner and willy improving in their respective second years. connor brown isnt perfect but he should be nowhere near this thread lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lots of steaming hot takes for Murray in this one.

Fleury got the 4 hardest wins in 2017? Might be the first time I've ever heard of 2nd round wins being the toughest for a goalie during a Cup run, especially against a team that had been a paper tiger that the Crosby-era Pens beat year-in and year-out until last year. Smells like revisionist history.

Jim Carrey? Unless I missed it, Carrey's follow-up seasons didn't involve concussions and his father dying, so that might be something you could conclude if you look at situations without any kind of context.

Reactions: Gazorpazorp

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Wtf you talking about he's ALREADY WON 2 CUPS.

You can't ungreat that accomplishment even if he busts forever.

That's like me saying "I don't know if McDavid is as good a scorer as everyone thinks he is" after he won art rosses

Yes, but and Art Ross is an individual award and a Stanley Cup is a team accomplishment. So, yes, he can bust.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
lol he went from 20 goals to 14 while taking on an increased role on the PK and being used on effectively every line throughout the course of the season. there are plenty of examples of 2nd year players regressing slightly offensively. we just have a skewed perception because we had matthews and marner and willy improving in their resepctive second years. connor brown isnt perfect but he should be nowhere near this thread lol

I completely agree - he's not in this conversation at all. Just mentioning that there are reasons to be a little down on him at the moment. I think he'll be fine long term.

The Leafs don't have many recent guys that fit the discussion. Gauthier may be a "bust" but I never thought he was very promising to begin with. It was a terrible pick.

Sam Bennett may end up being this relative to his draft position, but it's still a little too early. I've watched him quite a bit and I just haven't seen a top end player there, he seems like "just a guy". He's obviously an NHL player but for a top-5 pick with the promise he had, you expect more. Hopefully he comes around this season.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Fleury got the 4 hardest wins in 2017? Might be the first time I've ever heard of 2nd round wins being the toughest for a goalie during a Cup run, .

Chicago Vancouver 2010.

It's not rare for the most trying matchup of a championship run is not the championship or even conference series.

Washington was certainly a more difficult matchup than Nashville, but asssuming the same vis a vis Ottawa, while possibly accurate, underrates how well the Sens played in the 2017 postseason.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I completely agree - he's not in this conversation at all. Just mentioning that there are reasons to be a little down on him at the moment. I think he'll be fine long term.

The Leafs don't have many recent guys that fit the discussion. Gauthier may be a "bust" but I never thought he was very promising to begin with. It was a terrible pick.

Sam Bennett may end up being this relative to his draft position, but it's still a little too early. I've watched him quite a bit and I just haven't seen a top end player there, he seems like "just a guy". He's obviously an NHL player but for a top-5 pick with the promise he had, you expect more. Hopefully he comes around this season.
people have been down on him for almost a year. sad to me, since he just comes to work and plays hard. players like him on cheap deals that have decent production are going to allow us to sign all our young stars! anyways ima stop since this isnt the leafs board lol. have a good one.

Reactions: Marmoset

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
RNH is dissapointing for me. Doesn't look like he'll ever be more than a 40 - 60 point player. Man the Oilers had 3 first overalls in a row and they traded the only one who was legit for some reason.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

To the leafs if your name is not Auston, Mitch, John or Morgan you are all a bust.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I love how everyone says what a genius Yzerman is and how great Tampa drafts. So far in this thread I've seen Namestnikov (11), Koekkoek (12), Drouin (13) and DeAngelo (14) all 1st round picks.

Reactions: Gazorpazorp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->