Once promising players who are on the brink of bustdom

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Girgensons.

He was one of the few bright spots on some putrid Sabres lineups and was getting called a younger, cheaper Ryan O'Reilly. Now he's getting ~13 minutes a game and might be getting healthy scratched at some point in this season.
He essentially doesn't know what to do without his mentor ROR guiding him.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
A Flames fan posted a comparison of Bennett and Drouins stats for the past 3 years and this was my response (everything I state when it comes to the stats is factually correct), "Bennett actually outscored Drouin last year even strength while averaging 3 minutes of TOI a game more (which would probably all be PP time depending on the game). The year before Drouin outscored Bennett by 3 points even strength again averaging 3 minutes of ice time more while playing with way better linemates than Bennett would have had in 16-17. Benny is also a better face-off man, has a toughness to his game and doesn't take **** from anyone where Drouin is butter soft.

Also look at the takeaways and giveaways, Bennett is nearly 2-1 in favour while Drouin is below 1 for 1."

Yet Bennett is labelled a bust on these forums and by fans and Drouin has a $30 million contract and somehow got traded for Sergachev.
Of course Bennett is a better face-off man! DROUIN IS NOT A CENTER! You ask a fish to fly then you complain that he's a shitty bird. And yes he's soft, but we already knew that. The problem is he's now a soft player on a team that was softer than him to begin with. Drouin is not a line driver but would be an excellent complement to a solid top line.

Plus, imagine his mindset, right now. He goes from the powerhouse Lightning directly to an all-over-the-place sad sack Montreal team AND he's asked to play a position he's barely ever played. Yeah... He's not busting, he's just being sabotaged.

With a lot of luck, Kotkaniemi might be able to salvage something with Domi and Drouin as his wingers. I think they would complement each other very well. Then again, that would require prayer and probably a human sacrifice.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
not quite. Neimi won one cup and he's terrible.

In Murray's case he played very well but we're talking like 22 wins over 2 years behind a juggernaut team?

Except he was once a Vezina candidate (3rd) and had quite good performances in the successful cup run.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Drouin, Namestnikov, too soon for Tolvanen? He sure had more hype then being retrogaded in the AHL.

I would also add the guy who plays video games but I don’t know his name. We will find out eventually, I guess.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Of course Bennett is a better face-off man! DROUIN IS NOT A CENTER! You ask a fish to fly then you complain that he's a ****ty bird. And yes he's soft, but we already knew that. The problem is he's now a soft player on a team that was softer than him to begin with. Drouin is not a line driver but would be an excellent complement to a solid top line.

Plus, imagine his mindset, right now. He goes from the powerhouse Lightning directly to an all-over-the-place sad sack Montreal team AND he's asked to play a position he's barely ever played. Yeah... He's not busting, he's just being sabotaged.

With a lot of luck, Kotkaniemi might be able to salvage something with Domi and Drouin as his wingers. I think they would complement each other very well. Then again, that would require prayer and probably a human sacrifice.
Yeah he was sabotaged. He still has time but a full year of development at his young age spent trying to learn to play C instead of scoring goals could be irreversible.

Very bad decision by management. I think they realize that now since he is back on the wing.

But who knows what will happen once Kotkaniemi gets sent back once he hits 9 games.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Wtf you talking about he's ALREADY WON 2 CUPS.

You can't ungreat that accomplishment even if he busts forever.

That's like me saying "I don't know if McDavid is as good a scorer as everyone thinks he is" after he won art rosses

Maybe he'll be a Jim Carey kind of situation...who knows?

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Pavel Zacha

Say what !?!? I think you don't know exactly what a bust is then? Maybe read the dictionary once in awhile.

If you look at points I could tend to agree but there is more than points in making a good player and he is a team first guy that has outstanding PK numbers but lacks the full confidence to shoot more but I think it's coming this year.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I know Fabbri is good but could another injury make him a bust candidate? and who are other players who are one long injury away from losing relevance? lol don't say Matt Murray!
Bust status is really reserved for the top of the draft players.
A late (ish) 1st not making it is common.
Also, I think it's unfair to label someone a bust when injuries are their downfall. It's like they never really get a chance.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Drouin, Namestnikov, too soon for Tolvanen? He sure had more hype then being retrogaded in the AHL.

I would also add the guy who plays video games but I don’t know his name. We will find out eventually, I guess.

Tolvanen is 19 for gods sake. Dont be ridiculous. Filip Forsberg "retrograded to the AHL" at the same point in his career

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Girgensons.

He was one of the few bright spots on some putrid Sabres lineups and was getting called a younger, cheaper Ryan O'Reilly. Now he's getting ~13 minutes a game and might be getting healthy scratched at some point in this season.

He definitely didnt develop as was hoped but I will be surprised if he is healthy scratched. The guy doesnt need to score to contribute to team. He is Sabres swiss army knife

Now Grigorenko on the other hand

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Jesse Puljujarvi isn't really giving anyone the warm and fuzzies. He's not on the brink but it appears he may be down that path.
Still holding out for some late blooming/click but he may not have the hockey sense to survive in the NHL. He's eerily similar to Yakupov in some respects.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Tolvanen is 19 for gods sake. Dont be ridiculous. Filip Forsberg "retrograded to the AHL" at the same point in his career
I'm not saying he is a bust but with all the hype he had, it has to be a disappointment. Many players can go to the AHL and grow; but when the expectations are so high, it has to be a disappointment. If Tolvanen gets his game up and burns the AHL, then you are totally right.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'm not saying he is a bust but with all the hype he had, it has to be a disappointment. Many players can go to the AHL and grow; but when the expectations are so high, it has to be a disappointment. If Tolvanen gets his game up and burns the AHL, then you are totally right.

I'm sure Tolvanen is disappointed, and people who had way too high expectations were disappointed, but anyone whompaid attention to him when he got some NHL ice time last year knew he wasnt going to walk right into the top 6 of the reigning Presidents Trophy winner. He had flashy KHL numbers early but even that cooled off a lot as the season wore on. He will eventually be good but he needs some AHL seasoning just like Forsberg and Fiala both did before they made the jump

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Valeri Nichushkin

Once considered by Jaromir Jagr to be the best player in the world one day.

Now trying to find his spot on the Stars 2nd line. I wouldn't consider him a bust yet but it may never work out for him in Dallas. All the speed, size, and talent in the world and can't put it all together at the same time

Did Gretzky ever weigh in on him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->