Dreger: on TSN 1050: "An NHL GM told me that Matthews won't sign for a dollar less than what McDavid got"

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
toronto hypes him as the second coming of christ. he should be paid accordingly.
Seriously. Take a page out of the Bruins book here.

All of our rfa’s suck and should be paying Jacobs to play.

Gotta control the message kids. Agents get uppity otherwise

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
LOL He won't get that much, we'll keep everybody. but he-he is on the same level as McDavid though. but he's not worth that..My brain's a pretzel RN!!!

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What a bombshell to end the offseason of Toronto here at HFBoards. Wow.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol, yet nothing to say about Toronto paying Taveres 11M until he is 35? The McDavid contract looked good the second it was signed, any team in the NHL would have paid him Max Cap which was 15M.
You do know that McDavid has not even played a game with that contract right?

Just how if it were McDavid in some alternate reality, we would pay 15m for him because we can only offer 7 years. That's the cost of poaching a player at the expense to him of an important contract year.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
McDavid had 108 points last year

Matthews has 131 points in his 2 year career

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lol, what do I make up? Please quote. "Respected" in Leaf land maybe.
Everyone knows you are one of the worst fans on here for extreme hyperbole. Maybe you don't completely make stuff up but your over top exaggeration, to make a point, is sometimes amazing.

Again, Elliot Friedman is one of the most highly respected journalists out there, and by everyone, except you obviously.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just the opinion of another GM. How heck would a GM from another organization know that the Hell Matthews will do?

Just speculating, but General Mangers are in conversation with agents on a regular basis. Any GM that is dealing with Auton's agent or his agency could glean this information pretty easily.

It's not much of a stretch for GM to get a gauge on contract negotiations in terms of asking prices from players in other organizations.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
McDavid had 108 points last year

Matthews has 131 points in his 2 year career

That's the reality of it. He just isn't worth that money and I doubt this article is anything more than buddy trying to get into the news cycle.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
No, you are very right. I get that he was injured last year, and I don't doubt his talent, but as of right now, he shouldn't be even making close to what Kucherov makes.

The NHL needs to start looking at salaries being handed out, or at least pay players for what they are currently doing.

I love McDavid, but I don't think a player should be making almost 13m a year in this hard cap world.

That's just how I feel.

I think you're just reacting to the high numbers. If you look at things as a percent of the cap then McDavid's contract is right in line with what a lot of big stars signed on their second contract. His only comparables are Crosby (15.3%), Ovechkin (16.8%), and Malkin (15.3%). Those cap hits would be $12.2-$13.4 million today.

Brad 'f***in' Richards signed a 20% contract in 2006 somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanM

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Probably a negotiating tactic but I can't see him taking much less then Tavares and Eichel's contract is the starting point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad