Dreger: on TSN 1050: "An NHL GM told me that Matthews won't sign for a dollar less than what McDavid got"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id like the next big Leaf news to be they got a much needed dman... Too much talk of the massive contracts that will be handed out.

Sure i realize that is always big news but cmon, its just too much to read constantly

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gotta say guys like Drai, Matthews, Eichel all asking for 9 to 10 mill is a diaster, imo none of these guys deserve 10 mill ATM (strong emphasis on At the moment)

It was a joke where small market teams had to overpay franchise players to even want to stay. No offense to those cities but they are not NY LA CHI TOR etc. So they paid them way to much, especially Eichel and Drai. The McDavid contract is so out of proportion that it may only look like a good deal 2 years after the CBA.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just the opinion of another GM. How heck would a GM from another organization know that the Hell Matthews will do?

That being said, I’d love for Matthews to get a McDavid contract. Would make things interesting to see off they can keep all their core players together.

I think Matthews actually takes a discount and signs for 10-11 mil per.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
To be fair, its possible he offer sheeted someone, and they just didnt sign in and we didnt hear about it.

But yeah, this is like... really low leveling reporting going on. Dog days of Summer at their finest.

I can’t stand everyone’s obsession with offersheets. We hardly ever see them and even if a team wanted to sign a player, that player has to agree to it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Just the opinion of another GM. How heck would a GM from another organization know that the Hell Matthews will do?

That being said, I’d love for Matthews to get a McDavid contract. Would make things interesting to see off they can keep all their core players together.

I think Matthews actually takes a discount and signs for 10-11 mil per.

How is it a discount when Matthews isn’t worth 12.5 mill in the first place?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How is it a discount when Matthews isn’t worth 12.5 mill in the first place?

That’s your opinion and with the cap going up, McDavids 12.5 at the time would be more of a percentage of the cap than when Matthews signs his.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay him more than 10mil right now.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
toronto hypes him as the second coming of christ. he should be paid accordingly.

I don't hype him as the second coming and quite frankly I am concerned about his back. He is quite the good player but it's more steady than like say a Crosby or McDavid who just take over games and win them on their own.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't really think he deserves any more than Eichel. Obviously this next season could change things, but he really shouldn't get more than 10.5

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
He will force Dubas hand to get a trade out of Toronto.

I’m sure Dubas won’t pay a 63 pt centre who was basically a no show in playoffs the same as best player in league. Obviously he wants out, and Leafs will be more than happy to get a 1-2 dman back.

That’s why they signed Taveres.

A bit of an attitude adjustment and a change of scenery would be good for him.

Reactions: hockeyguy1967

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Talking about people who make up massive BS.... pot meet kettle.

… and Friedman is a highly respected source in the hockey world... unlike hockeyguy1967
Lol, what do I make up? Please quote. "Respected" in Leaf land maybe.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
It was a joke where small market teams had to overpay franchise players to even want to stay. No offense to those cities but they are not NY LA CHI TOR etc. So they paid them way to much, especially Eichel and Drai. The McDavid contract is so out of proportion that it may only look like a good deal 2 years after the CBA.
Lol, yet nothing to say about Toronto paying Taveres 11M until he is 35? The McDavid contract looked good the second it was signed, any team in the NHL would have paid him Max Cap which was 15M.
You do know that McDavid has not even played a game with that contract right?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He will force Dubas hand to get a trade out of Toronto.

I’m sure Dubas won’t pay a 63 pt centre who was basically a no show in playoffs the same as best player in league. Obviously he wants out, and Leafs will be more than happy to get a 1-2 dman back.

That’s why they signed Taveres.

A bit of an attitude adjustment and a change of scenery would be good for him.
You may be on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad