Dreger: on TSN 1050: "An NHL GM told me that Matthews won't sign for a dollar less than what McDavid got"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We will point to Eichel contract then maybe put up an extra 500k and be done with it

That would be a massive steal for Leafs if they can sign him to only 500k more than Eichel long term.

Would love to see that but IMO Matthews and agent will laugh at that

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Are we sure Dreger just wasn't on capfriendly and started talking to himself and then just regurgitated whatever he said to himself as fact? That honestly makes more sense to me then Dreger telling the truth.

Reactions: al secord

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
$10.5 million isn't enough??? Forgive me Leaf fans but what has Matthews done to deserve $11+ Million a year?
That would be a massive steal for Leafs if they can sign him to only 500k more than Eichel long term.

Would love to see that but IMO Matthews and agent will laugh at that

i dont think he gets a dollar over 11 nor should he imo

unless he puts up 100 pts this season (wont happen) ill give him 11M happily

Reactions: TFHockey

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Depends how this year goes.

He scores 35 goals and 40 points in 82 games. .91PPG which is what he’s put up in 2 seasons (I know he scored over a PPG last year in 62 games, but just for conversation. )

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
$10.5 million isn't enough??? Forgive me Leaf fans but what has Matthews done to deserve $11+ Million a year?

No, you are very right. I get that he was injured last year, and I don't doubt his talent, but as of right now, he shouldn't be even making close to what Kucherov makes.

The NHL needs to start looking at salaries being handed out, or at least pay players for what they are currently doing.

I love McDavid, but I don't think a player should be making almost 13m a year in this hard cap world.

That's just how I feel.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Just like an NHL GM told Friedman that Nylander will be guaranteed given an offer sheet and I forget the bet but..ya.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Well, if they told Matthews since he joined Leafs, you are our guy we will build around, do you really Matthews agents think that changed since they brought in Tavares?
They will now test it, 11 mill minimum, cant have "the guy" not paid the most, can you?
And both Nylander and Marner cant take half Matthews salary, they are not half as good?

There is something fishy with Nylanders signing, either they promised him to have a go at C (before Tavares got signed) or Leafs are lowballing him (probobly fair market value, but points at Tavares and Matthews future salary)

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
No, you are very right. I get that he was injured last year, and I don't doubt his talent, but as of right now, he shouldn't be even making close to what Kucherov makes.

The NHL needs to start looking at salaries being handed out, or at least pay players for what they are currently doing.

I love McDavid, but I don't think a player should be making almost 13m a year in this hard cap world.

That's just how I feel.

I can't argue too hard against you here. I am a huge fan and I know what McDavid means to the team.. but $12.5 Million AAV is a huge chunk of cap space. I guess to get him locked up for 8 years meant this kind of number.

Is that the argument Matthews and his agent are using in their negotiations? If he is looking for $11 million / year I would trade him next off season and get a massive haul.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just can't picture Matthews saying/thinking this. McDavid has established himself as, at worst, the second best player in the NHL. Matthews has established himself as having the potential to be where McDavid is now.

I feel like Dreger is phrasing this in a way to get attention. TSN in general, IMO, has gotten worse for hype and sensationalism since losing out to Sportsnet.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Oh i agree definately.. Honestly i like the guy but i feel he shouldnt even be close to McDavid money... But id gladly take him over Eichel anyday. IMO its that damn Eichel contract that alot of players will use as a comparison

Reactions: TFHockey

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Gotta say guys like Drai, Matthews, Eichel all asking for 9 to 10 mill is a diaster, imo none of these guys deserve 10 mill ATM (strong emphasis on At the moment)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That's just how I feel.

Kucherov's contract is pretty team friendly, even considering TB's tax advantage. He's been our best forward, perhaps our best player, for a while now. It's especially team friendly when you consider the EXTREMELY team-friendly deal he signed last time (while also probably being already our best forward).

So I wouldn't compare the Matthews deal to that. Feels like Eichel is a pretty good comparable, and Matthews should get a bit more than him.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I can't argue too hard against you here. I am a huge fan and I know what McDavid means to the team.. but $12.5 Million AAV is a huge chunk of cap space. I guess to get him locked up for 8 years meant this kind of number.

Is that the argument Matthews and his agent are using in their negotiations? If he is looking for $11 million / year I would trade him next off season and get a massive haul.

Agreed, 12.5 Million AVV is high, but if anybody should make that right now, it is him (McDavid). The cap world just makes that high of a salary a roadblock, if you don't have the right numbers and talent around him. So draft turnover, and ELC's need to play a major role. McDavid should come in at 10m (this is just my opinion, and not based on other contracts signed) and that 10m should have been the top contract. Of course this is also hard because percentage of cap based on the cap amount can be tricky when it's always rising.

I do think the metrics and talent (when healthy) will put Matty right behind McDavid during the next decade, but at 11m.... I would be hard pressed to pay him that right now. I guess I don't know if I would move him, but I would test his character a bit, see if he wants to be here long term, and is he a team first guy, or money guy.

Based on contracts around the league, Matty should be coming in between 9-10.25 Million.

If we pay based only on numbers, draft position, and position played, who knows what he would actually get.

I guess we will see what happens

P.S. When people say he should be getting McDavid money, I would love to see the argument for this, or for Taveres money (yet) sure in the future he will improve his game, I see 100pt seasons, more assists, 2 way play, and amazing analytics.

However right now, in 2018, what is the argument that he should be getting McDavid type money lol

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Kucherov's contract is pretty team friendly, even considering TB's tax advantage. He's been our best forward, perhaps our best player, for a while now. It's especially team friendly when you consider the EXTREMELY team-friendly deal he signed last time (while also probably being already our best forward).

So I wouldn't compare the Matthews deal to that. Feels like Eichel is a pretty good comparable, and Matthews should get a bit more than him.

That's fair.

I can see a 10.25-10.5 at the most for 8 years. I would be beyond happy to see him come in at 10m per, but the chances would be slim.

Mar 26, 2010
Some guy at the grocery store told my neighbor that Matthews will sign for $16M AAV.

On a serious note, the GM in conversation here has to be the Oilers Chiarelli. He is trying to save face for the McDavid contract.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
As much as we like to circle jerk about the leafs this is just ridiculous lol

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This upcoming season for Matthews and Marner will paint a better picture.. If their point total is insane, itll be ugly... It its a quieter year then it will be very interesting

member 262271

I figured just seeing Dreger's name would be amusing enough, glad I kept reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad