Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
No draft capsule, scouting report or statement from any individual scout from 2016 mentions any significant injury history and he played a full season for Jokerit the year before he came over:

Jokerit U20 at eliteprospects.com

The year before he appears to have played a full season between Jokerit's U20, U18 and U16 teams, playing about 10-12 fewer games than most of his U18 teammates while playing 14 games with other Jokerit teams. If he missed any games it couldn't have been more than a few. Search strings such as "juolevi U18 Jokerit injury," "... U16 injury," etc return nothing.

@420Canuck share where you obtained this information? any follow up?

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Evidently Juolevi had an off-season surgery prior to his draft season. No injury history before playing there, however.

So this occurred just prior to joining the OHL. I personally haven't seen this documented anywhere (I dont believe anyhow), would love to read more about this if you have anything handy. I wouldn't call that chronic however. What was the surgery on?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think Baumer dropped the ball last night.

Edler was obviously having a off/seniors night and OJ was getting up ice and contributing to the play offensively. Looked very much like a player poised to potentially set someone up for a goal and then gets stapled to the bench so we could watch Edler fade down the stretch from an off night to begin with.

Gotta go with the young legs Nolan. Not every night. Obviously Edler is still a better player but last night made no sense.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Edler was obviously having a off/seniors night and OJ was getting up ice and contributing to the play offensively. Looked very much like a player poised to potentially set someone up for a goal and then gets stapled to the bench so we could watch Edler fade down the stretch from an off night to begin with.

Gotta go with the young legs Nolan. Not every night. Obviously Edler is still a better player but last night made no sense.
Even though Edler had an off night, I thought he was unfairly criticized on that first goal..Certain areas of the ice were not up to snuff, and the puck was bobbling over players sticks, causing all sorts of odd man rushes for both teams.
Edler had his stick on the ice to receive that pass from Miller, and the puck just danced over his stick.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Even though Edler had an off night, I thought he was unfairly criticized on that first goal..Certain areas of the ice were not up to snuff, and the puck was bobbling over players sticks, causing all sorts of odd man rushes for both teams.
Edler had his stick on the ice to receive that pass from Miller, and the puck just danced over his stick.
The goal didn't have anything to do with my observation

Reactions: geebaan

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Love that Juolevi is becoming the player the believers thought he would be.

Another amazing draft pick by Jimbo. :) :) :)

GO CANUCKS
Amazing pick? From the same draft Sergachev, McAvoy and Chychrun are all bona fide 1st and 2nd pairing D men playing in all situations. Juolevi is nowhere close.
I was pretty down on him and he is showing signs of prgress but maybe pump the breaks a little.He is still getting walked each game

Reactions: geebaan and MarkMM

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Love that Juolevi is becoming the player the believers thought he would be.

Another amazing draft pick by Jimbo. :) :) :)

GO CANUCKS

Not many people took personal issue to Juolevi, just that he wasn't the BPA and that was obvious at the time.
All that said, Benning's incompetence shouldn't rub off onto people's perceptions of Juolevi. He's still a promising young dman who could still improve to be a top 4. Doesn't matter what type of fan you are, everyone should hope that OJ can become a top 4.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Juolevi has been rock solid for the Canucks in the last five games.....along with Hoglander, he might be the best story from this sad-sack season, if he can keep it up.
Hoglander's been like this pretty much the whole season to date - forget just the last five games. Granted, far easier position to play (winger vs D) but he's often the guy carrying his line vs the one being carried.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Yo'Levi has been somewhat like 'found money'. He has been pretty solid defensively and his outlet passes have been as advertised, but there are also surprising glimmers of what he may become like his hard shot, mid-ice hitting and him joining the rush.

It will be interesting to see where Tryamkin will play when he arrives...

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
To be fair, Green looking after his best interests (his job). Keeping it requires the team to be doing better in the standings. His time horizon is pretty short.
Yup. Green being a lame duck is certainly going to affect him. But, in that last game we were down a goal, and OJ was going good in the transition and o zone. Green needs to identify that and play the guys who are going, depending on the game situation of course.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Yeah, I was shocked to see Juolevi only played 10 minutes. I noticed him a lot in that icetime (mostly for the good - there was getting burned by Ehlers, but Ehlers is also a damn good skater and player).

Would like to see Juolevi get some more ice time to show what he can do a bit more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad