Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Go look for yourself. Possibly. He’s chronically injured. These things can be linked.
Maybe you can post the links seeing as you made the claim and know where to find them?

Never missed any significant time AFAIK. And unless he had a chronic ailment prior to the draft what you said makes no sense?

Reactions: bandwagonesque

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Go look for yourself. Possibly. He’s chronically injured. These things can be linked.

To my uninformed eye, he played 72 games and 67 games in the 2 years before London. Is that chronically injured?

2012-13
2.png
Jokerit U16
U16 SM-sarja Q1068144 |
2.png
Jokerit U16
U16 SM-sarja3110192928 |Playoffs103694
2013-14
2.png
Jokerit U16
U16 SM-sarja32352 |Playoffs12022
2.png
Jokerit U18
U18 SM-sarja337222963 |Playoffs1218916
2.png
Jokerit U20
Jr. A SM-liiga111346-5|
31.png
Finland U16 (all) “A”
International-Jr201102|
31.png
Finland U17 (all)
International-Jr10145100|
2014-15
2.png
Jokerit U20
Jr. A SM-liiga4462632280|Playoffs512320
31.png
Finland U17 (all)
International-Jr311201|
31.png
Finland U18 (all) “A”
International-Jr1534720-1|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
No draft capsule, scouting report or statement from any individual scout from 2016 mentions any significant injury history and he played a full season for Jokerit the year before he came over:

Jokerit U20 at eliteprospects.com

The year before he appears to have played a full season between Jokerit's U20, U18 and U16 teams, playing about 10-12 fewer games than most of his U18 teammates while playing 14 games with other Jokerit teams. If he missed any games it couldn't have been more than a few. Search strings such as "juolevi U18 Jokerit injury," "... U16 injury," etc return nothing.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
He missed 10 and 11 games in his OHL seasons. Played WJC both years- how many games does that account for ?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Juolevi h not looked out of place as a #6 defender playing extremely sheltered minutes, I’m sorry I’m just not as sold on him as others are. He’s currently playing the Patrick Wiercioch/Adam Clendenning level minutes and you really can’t gauge much from that.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Juolevi h not looked out of place as a #6 defender playing extremely sheltered minutes, I’m sorry I’m just not as sold on him as others are. He’s currently playing the Patrick Wiercioch/Adam Clendenning level minutes and you really can’t gauge much from that.
Yes, maybe we're (me especially) are a bit too generous with our praise of him.

But over the last 5 games, he and the defense have plugged the leak. He is not getting scored on, and not giving up many high danger chances. Only last game, but I blame that on the Beagle and Sutter lines moreso.

Clendenning was such a disaster defensively I will say OJ is easily better (not saying much I know). Wiercioch I don't remember in detail tbh.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Juolevi was not even pegged to be an NHLer last year. We are fortunate he is in the league and not a complete liability. I think most would have buried the hatchet if he panned out as a worthy 3rd pairing dman on a cup contender. He seems to be fully able to at least fulfill that role in his career, and has a shot of being a very capable #3-4 on a good team.

Too bad like all things with this team, one step forward, one step back as last year's "top 6 potential Virtanen" is now back to being an AHLer.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets tonight..Was 19 minutes last game a one off ?..Stecher didnt even get that much.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
19 minutes in a 4 goal blowout.

Nice bait.

‘Member when Stecher played like 28 mins/gm for weeks?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, maybe we're (me especially) are a bit too generous with our praise of him.

But over the last 5 games, he and the defense have plugged the leak. He is not getting scored on, and not giving up many high danger chances. Only last game, but I blame that on the Beagle and Sutter lines moreso.

Clendenning was such a disaster defensively I will say OJ is easily better (not saying much I know). Wiercioch I don't remember in detail tbh.

Doesn't the bolded say something though? If he's not being scored on and not giving up many high danger chances then he's doing well defensively. The same argument applied to Stecher as well who wasn't getting scored on. Too bad Green never fully trusted Stecher.

Reactions: Grantham

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Doesn't the bolded say something though? If he's not being scored on and not giving up many high danger chances then he's doing well defensively. The same argument applied to Stecher as well who wasn't getting scored on. Too bad Green never fully trusted Stecher.
Yeah I never understood that. Stecher got treated like a red headed step child by Green. Hope he's found his place in Detroit. Quality dude.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Can his skating improve if he stays healthy for a while? The rest of his skillset is probably #2 or #3 defenseman quality.

This is where I'm at. He can have great stick work and IQ and it won't mean a damn thing if he can't defend the rush in a league that thrives in transition. He needs to improve his skating/edge work.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
19 minutes in a 4 goal blowout.

Nice bait.

‘Member when Stecher played like 28 mins/gm for weeks?
He's played over 27 minutes in 7 games in his career and has never averaged more than 28 minutes a game for a period longer than 5 games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Juolevi’s hit on Valimaki singled out as the ones that need to be penalized by Versteeg on sportsnet. Lol

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He’s currently playing the Patrick Wiercioch/Adam Clendenning level minutes and you really can’t gauge much from that.

Yet you just literally gauged him. What do you want us to do? Put him on the top pairing right now? He is being played exactly the way we predicted to be deployed this season. On the bottom pairing.

Reactions: bh53

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Guy is playing quality hockey. What else do you want to gauge from it? The vast majority of defensemen and players are brought in this way. Do you think everybody is Quinn Hughes or bust?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
As Edler has been noticeably getting slower, I feel Juolevi could be well suited as his future replacement. Love Edler and what he has given to the Canucks franchise, but I'd let him walk if he asks for too much. I feel like Juolevi might actually pan out to be a very good top 4 defenseman, and very well be an old timer Edler replacement. Juolevi has gone unnoticed by me the past few games, which is a very good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad