Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, I was shocked to see Juolevi only played 10 minutes. I noticed him a lot in that icetime (mostly for the good - there was getting burned by Ehlers, but Ehlers is also a damn good skater and player).

Would like to see Juolevi get some more ice time to show what he can do a bit more.
Do you know how to find that ozone v dzone start stuff? I’d be curious where (on the ice) OJ gets most of his starts. Just watching it seems like he starts a lot in the d zone.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I think Baumer dropped the ball last night.

Edler was obviously having a off/seniors night and OJ was getting up ice and contributing to the play offensively. Looked very much like a player poised to potentially set someone up for a goal and then gets stapled to the bench so we could watch Edler fade down the stretch from an off night to begin with.

Gotta go with the young legs Nolan. Not every night. Obviously Edler is still a better player but last night made no sense.

Baumgartner coaching defense is like taking a massive shit with no toilet paper, guy has no clue how to work the defensive system.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Definitely inspiring hope and playing well, and I'm cheering for him.

But calling him an "amazing" pick considering what we could have picked at his spot is straight silly.

Amazing pick is a stretch, he was the wrong pick at the time and has done nothing to erase that. But, if he can become a cost controlled top 4 defenseman, I’d say we did alright with the wrong pick. So far this season that projection doesn’t look far off pace.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
So this occurred just prior to joining the OHL. I personally haven't seen this documented anywhere (I dont believe anyhow), would love to read more about this if you have anything handy. I wouldn't call that chronic however. What was the surgery on?
Juo missed 7 months after having knee surgery in Finland the season before he came to the OHL.

I had made notes on him last season (particularly what scouts were saying about his skating before he was drafted) and I was really surprised to learn this.

I had compiled notes from different scouting sources. I didn’t make note where that quote came from, and am probably not willing to sit down and research it again.

I had never read that in his scouting reports before he was drafted, and was very surprised to learn that. This was quoted in a pre scouting report and thus well before his injury history since being drafted started.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I hope we see OJ continue to make steady progress, and he gets 15 minutes or more tonight. Like to see him with Schmidt on PP 2 too.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Amazing pick is a stretch, he was the wrong pick at the time and has done nothing to erase that. But, if he can become a cost controlled top 4 defenseman, I’d say we did alright with the wrong pick. So far this season that projection doesn’t look far off pace.
Doing alright with the wrong pick is actually a great way to put it. We all know - barring some sort of miracle development into a top pairing beast of a defenseman - that he will always be the wrong pick over Tkachuk, but the wrong pick can either still turn into a good player or be a complete loss. It was looking like a complete loss with Juolevi but if he keeps trending up then yes, it will turn out as good as a wrong pick can.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benn, Hamonic, Sutter and Edler are all UFA's in just a few months.......There's not much of a likelihood that any of them are back.

But they're in the lineup night after night....basically a complete and utter waste of ice time in a season going nowhere. Meantime guys like Juolevi, Rathbone, Michaelis and maybe Rafferty who desperately need NHL games for their development languish in no-man's land.

My gawd does this franchise need a major shakeup.

Reactions: mossey3535

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

upload_2021-3-2_20-23-1.gif

Reactions: Hit the post

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

He’s a healthy scratch on the worst defensive team in the league and when he does play he gets turned around at least once per game.

amazing pick at 6?? Yikes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He’s a healthy scratch on the worst defensive team in the league and when he does play he gets turned around at least once per game.

THos is what’s happens when the GM, who thinks hes a super scout, watches a player on tv for a couple games and overrules his scouts to select that player.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
THos is what’s happens when the GM, who thinks hes a super scout, watches a player on tv for a couple games and overrules his scouts to select that player.
"Benning figures he saw Juolevi play in
person six times last season
and came away impressed every time. The GM liked
the player early in the season in London, but it was Juolevi’s performance as
part of the gold medal winning Finnish team at the World Juniors that put his
draft stock in overdrive."

Benning on taking Juolevi 5th overall: ‘we couldn’t go by him’

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Agreed. He wasn’t an amazing pick, as I said in the post you quoted.

I disagree with your assessment though, Juolevi looked good in his last handful of games, he showed real progress.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
OJ improving so of course we bench him to play overpriced vets who then proceed to contribute to continual losing.

I don't even like Chatfield but they should be playing him too.

Heck, why aren't they rotating their players like many other teams are doing to give them breaks in a condensed schedule?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
PS I know the reason for this is that the organisation collectively clings to the fever dream that was last year's bubble and thinks they can replicate it. Even now, when they have to be the best team in the league down to the wire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad