News Article: Oliwer Kaski signed

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
He is the same size as Dekeyser who looks like a weakling out there.

Dekeyser also has nothing else going for him, period. If this kid's offensive upside translates to North America and the NHL that's already better than Dekeyser.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There are conflicting numbers about his size. He looks kind of soft and Finland coach kind of not trust him, but we don't know why , he could be not 100%, or something else. His hockey IQ through the roof, good skater. About his physicality , great #5 wasn't physical to in the different times. He will probably compete with Cholowski for the NHL spot. Later one of them we can trade in the future

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Why wasn't he drafted? Anyone know? And everyone penciling him into the lineup, have any of you actually seen him play a FEW games (not just one which most haven't even seen that..)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I know nothing about the kid but can't hurt to have another right-handed prospect for defense.

But yeah, the Wings need to get Kaski on the Jimmy Howard offseason diet. Dekeyser too.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There are conflicting numbers about his size. He looks kind of soft and Finland coach kind of not trust him, but we don't know why , he could be not 100%, or something else. His hockey IQ through the roof, good skater. About his physicality , great #5 wasn't physical to in the different times. He will probably compete with Cholowski for the NHL spot. Later one of them we can trade in the future

Only complaint.. you can't use "Lidstrom wasn't physical" as a reasoning for why it's okay for another guy to not be. Nick's legs were tree trunks. Kind of like how people may have ever said that Zetterberg and Datsyuk were soft. They weren't out there trying to crush people but they were anything but soft.

And also, Lidstrom was like the highest hockey IQ player to ever play in the league. He didn't need to be overwhelming in strength, speed, whatever, because he could derail plays with a slight flick of the wrist stick lift because he was in perfect position.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ok we have the first question covered. Thanks, what about the more important one's no one answered....

From what I've read, Kaski is a converted forward, a la Brent Burns. He was an undersized, winger growing up, and was a late bloomer physically. Kind of a hard sell to teams if you're talking about someone diminutive in stature and learning a new position.

Pretty easy concept to grasp, not everyone is an appealing prospect in their draft season, and sometimes you find a gem. Kind of like the undrafted defenseman who is probably going to win the Norris Trophy this year, Mark Giordano.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
From what I've read, Kaski is a converted forward, a la Brent Burns. He was an undersized, winger growing up, and was a late bloomer physically. Kind of a hard sell to teams if you're talking about someone diminutive in stature and learning a new position.

Pretty easy concept to grasp, not everyone is an appealing prospect in their draft season, and sometimes you find a gem. Kind of like the undrafted defenseman who is probably going to win the Norris Trophy this year, Mark Giordano.
Yes I agree players can bloom later. I was mainly referring to everyone assuming he is so good and giving him a roster spot with zero NHL games over Daley and Bowey. And I questioned had anyone actually watched him play other than golden helmet highlights reels lol. As for Giordano he is definitely a late bloomer but I doubt he wins the Norris even though he was nominated.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yes I agree players can bloom later. I was mainly referring to everyone assuming he is so good and giving him a roster spot with zero NHL games over Daley and Bowey. And I questioned had anyone actually watched him play other than golden helmet highlights reels lol. As for Giordano he is definitely a late bloomer but I doubt he wins the Norris even though he was nominated.

Look at his season and tell me he doesn’t deserve to win it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Look at his season and tell me he doesn’t deserve to win it.
I have Burns and Hedman ahead of him....

As for Kaski, all his highlighted videos I've seen don't really show me what I am looking to see. Skating, defensive play, first pass, break outs. That stuff is more impressive that PP goals and cool celebrations , golden helmets lol

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

As for Kaski, all his highlighted videos I've seen don't really show me what I am looking to see. Skating, defensive play, first pass, break outs. That stuff is more impressive that PP goals and cool celebrations , golden helmets lol
That's true with any defensive prospect, you can't really judge them without watching some games. If anyone has any links, please share.

Also, the highlights show he's got a big windup on his slapper, and I'm not sure if that's going to translate to the NHL. We've seen what happens when you take away time and space against guys with slow releases.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Funny that you would ever consider Burns an option. In fact, Giordano’s season was immensely more impressive than either of them, in my opinion.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's true with any defensive prospect, you can't really judge them without watching some games. If anyone has any links, please share.

Also, the highlights show he's got a big windup on his slapper, and I'm not sure if that's going to translate to the NHL. We've seen what happens when you take away time and space against guys with slow releases.
Pulkinen.:(

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Funny that you would ever consider Burns an option. In fact, Giordano’s season was immensely more impressive than either of them, in my opinion.
Why would you want to allow less goals when you can get a defenseman with .06 more ppg? :sarcasm:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why would you want to allow less goals when you can get a defenseman with .06 more ppg? :sarcasm:

I mean I just think we’ve gotten away from what it means to be a good defenseman. I don’t consider Burns to be a good defenseman. He’s an incredible player, but he’s like an anomaly. Kind of like Quinn Hughes was in the draft for me, he is a 4th forward, he’s a rover.

Hedman fits the bill, but I struggle to give him the nod playing on THAT team and on top of that. Giordano outproduced him on offense in P/G. He controls Corsi better, logged more ice time, is less reliant on the power play, blocks more shots, takes away the puck more, and gives away the puck less.

I mean Giordano logs damn near as much time as Burns, nearly kept up with his scoring pace, starts over 10% more shifts in the D-zone, and still holds every single defensive category over Burns’ head. If he doesn’t win the Norris, it will be absolute sin.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He was to slow ,could not keep up
Was it really? I've never seen 09-10 Panarin skate, but I've seen 2015-2019 Panarin skate a lot and he would've had to improve a shit load to be where he is today in that department. Was he 5'11" in his draft year?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean I just think we’ve gotten away from what it means to be a good defenseman. I don’t consider Burns to be a good defenseman. He’s an incredible player, but he’s like an anomaly. Kind of like Quinn Hughes was in the draft for me, he is a 4th forward, he’s a rover.

Hedman fits the bill, but I struggle to give him the nod playing on THAT team and on top of that. Giordano outproduced him on offense in P/G. He controls Corsi better, logged more ice time, is less reliant on the power play, blocks more shots, takes away the puck more, and gives away the puck less.

I mean Giordano logs damn near as much time as Burns, nearly kept up with his scoring pace, starts over 10% more shifts in the D-zone, and still holds every single defensive category over Burns’ head. If he doesn’t win the Norris, it will be absolute sin.

I would agree that Giordano should probably win the Norris but I think people are really underestimating the offensive difference between him and Burns in this thread

not only did Burns produce at a mildly higher pace but Giordano was 5th on his own team in scoring and 25 points behind first place while Burns lead his team in scoring by 9 points

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Was it really? I've never seen 09-10 Panarin skate, but I've seen 2015-2019 Panarin skate a lot and he would've had to improve a **** load to be where he is today in that department. Was he 5'11" in his draft year?
So did Mantha and I hope Zadina

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would agree that Giordano should probably win the Norris but I think people are really underestimating the offensive difference between him and Burns in this thread

not only did Burns produce at a mildly higher pace but Giordano was 5th on his own team in scoring and 25 points behind first place while Burns lead his team in scoring by 9 points

Don’t care at all. Literally not one iota. Giordano is the most reliable defenseman on his team in all situations. Burns is not. If the people responsible for the result are voting on the league’s best defenseman, the choice is obvious.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
From what I've read, Kaski is a converted forward
A converted forward, and what I have read, still learning the defensive part of his game.

So the question becomes, can he out score his mistakes?

I would be surprised if he doesn't start out in Grand Rapids.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
DobberProspects.com describes Kaski as:

…an offensive defenseman with great size (6-3, 187). He’s a late bloomer because of late growth spurt and move from forward to defense later than what you’d normally see. Kaski has some issues in his defensive game but it’s hard to find a defenseman with his size and skating ability not to mention his great puck-skills and his biggest strength which is his shot. If you put him on the Ovechkin spot on the power play, he will score goals at any level. Kaski needs to sign with a team that is willing to use him in offensive situations and willing to look past his defensive deficiencies. Kaski was voted as the best player in the Liiga this season, so that’s the type of upside he can deliver in the right circumstances.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad