News Article: Oliwer Kaski signed

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I have a hard time believing Finland's #1D was a dumpster fire considering the massive upsets they pulled off against Sweden/Russia/Canada. Why would his coach trust him with that responsibility?
Flick of the switch, you must have been watching a different tournament from the one I was watching.

Reactions: tellermine

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
My guess is that Jalonen expecteded him to bounce back from his cold streak and start making things happen. With his season in liiga, that wasn't too far fetched. Reality however is that it never happened during that tournament. I'll hold my judgement until I see what he does in NA, whether it'll be in Grand Rapids or Red Wings. As I said before, his season in Pelicans earned him at least a shot, up to him to show what he has.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My guess is that Jalonen expecteded him to bounce back from his cold streak and start making things happen. With his season in liiga, that wasn't too far fetched. Reality however is that it never happened during that tournament. I'll hold my judgement until I see what he does in NA, whether it'll be in Grand Rapids or Red Wings. As I said before, his season in Pelicans earned him at least a shot, up to him to show what he has.

I am not saying you are wrong about him, as I don't get to watch him and only have a few highlights that I have seen of him. That said, it really seems like you and a few others are really throwing a free pick up under the bus. Probably 80%+ chance he either doesn't make it in the NHL or isn't impactful, but he is a free pickup that only cost the Red Wings money, so it isn't a major concern one way or the other. If he lights it up, fantastic for us, if he fails than no big deal, we took a chance. If he plays in the AHL next year and busts, the Wings will have to pay him a measly $70,000 which is peanuts to a major sports team.

Reactions: ealong59

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Compared to his Liiga season, his stats and play the Worlds didn't reflect what he's capable of doing. Some people wondered why he was chosen to take the penalty shot in the final, well earlier this season he did this:

Just like Finland winning gold at the Worlds made no sense, Kaski will probably put up 40-60 points next season with the Red Wings because why not. :laugh:

Reactions: lilidk

The Queen of the Sea

Sep 21, 2017
Vårdö
His regular season in Liiga was one of the most dominant offensive d-man-shows of recent years. In postseason, however, Kaski was somewhat disappointing and wasn't that good in the Worlds. Assessing his potential isn't easy, as he's a late-bloomer and has some concerning weaknesses.

Could be Your John Klingberg, a taller version of Petteri Nummelin or something completely different.

And that so called penalty shot vs Canada in gold medal game was a joke of century.

That was actually pretty close one, just an inch or so higher and it would've been in the net. Tried the first one from the clip @Jussi posted:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
@DarrenDreger 6m6 minutes ago
More
My colleague @frank_seravalli has Jacob Trouba #2 on TSN’s Trade Bait board. There is significant interest in Trouba and ongoing discussions. Several teams are conducting pro scouting meetings this week, so action is expected to heat up.
Don't know if it's a credible site but on Twitter there's a NHLRumor blog saying that Detroit is the favorites for Trouba. Sure hope so want him to come home.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So we don't want Karlsson, we regret signing this guy, who else is left to put down?
Nobody regrets signing Kaski, he's a free asset. I just think there are a few posters here that are jumping the gun by putting him on the opening day roster.

I'm not big on Karlsson because he'll be past his prime by the time this team is ready to compete for the Cup.

We can go back to putting down Abby if it pleases the crown.

Reactions: lilidk and Borlag

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Kaski is zero risk, high reward. Best case scenario, he turns out good. Worst case scenario, we bury his entire salary in the AHL.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Compared to his Liiga season, his stats and play the Worlds didn't reflect what he's capable of doing. Some people wondered why he was chosen to take the penalty shot in the final, well earlier this season he did this:

Well, I think that the fan reaction with his performance has been excessive - us Finns don't go for half measures... He was disappointing but he wasn't awful in the WHC. And he still can be successful in North America. Needs to be stronger and tougher of course but I can easily imagine him developing there. And really no risk pick for Detroit in any case.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
We are starting to have a super deep pool of those right-handed young defencemen...

Madison Bowey, 24y, 6'1 RhD
Oliwer Kaski, 23y, 6'3 RhD
Filip Hronek, 21y, 6'0 RhD
Alec Regula, 18y, 6'4 RhD

All skilled. Not just wood-handed and big.
SY: Don't worry, there's another Seider the story.

Reactions: Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just left Charlotte for Omsk in the KHL. Glad we got at least something from him (Wood).

Felt like small-level Yzerman smartness.

Get a free asset, who maybe has bigger-based European potential. Trade him for North American asset.

Now we have the only asset and Carolina nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->