News Article: Oliwer Kaski signed

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
As a Finn it's always on an intriguing prospect to think about Wings acquiring Finnish talent.

Undrafted Kaski had a season for the ages: the 23 year old led the Liiga D-men in goals (19) and points (51) in 59 games and was voted the best player of the regular season. He is big (6.3, 187 lbs) and likes to shoot: he also led Liiga in shots taken.

Oliwer Kaski at eliteprospects.com

Now the biggest Finnish hockey media outlet Jatkoaika.com had an article about Kaski looking to sign with an NHL team (1-way or 2-way contract):

Uutta: Pelicans menettää Liigan sensaatiotykin Oliwer Kasken NHL:ään

Considering our...challenges and failures in building our back end, I reckon Kaski would be the perfect low risk/high reward option. Big, mobile, young and has played in a NA rink before.

Thoughts?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I'd think with our back end issues we would be a team that could entice a prospect with opportunity. With that said if our scouts like him I say bring it on. I know nothing about the kid but it sounds like he's playing well. Low risk/High reward guys are key to a rebuild if they hit. His age fits into the core, has good size, played on NA ice, if he skates well and can pass he's probably already better than Daley or Ericsson.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
As a Finn it's always on an intriguing prospect to think about Wings acquiring Finnish talent.

Undrafted Kaski had a season for the ages: the 23 year old led the Liiga D-men in goals (19) and points (51) in 59 games and was voted the best player of the regular season. He is big (6.3, 187 lbs) and likes to shoot: he also led Liiga in shots taken.

Oliwer Kaski at eliteprospects.com

Now the biggest Finnish hockey media outlet Jatkoaika.com had an article about Kaski looking to sign with an NHL team (1-way or 2-way contract):

Uutta: Pelicans menettää Liigan sensaatiotykin Oliwer Kasken NHL:ään

Considering our...challenges and failures in building our back end, I reckon Kaski would be the perfect low risk/high reward option. Big, mobile, young and has played in a NA rink before.

Thoughts?

It might be a bidding war about him. He is very skinny for his size.
But absolutely worth a try.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Worth a shot. Moves like this either help a rebuild, or he doesnt get re signed, literally nothing to lose.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
How is he better than Sulak?
I don't know much about him, but his 23 year old Pelicans season was definitely better than Sulak's staistically and he's played on North American ice before. Other than that, it's pretty damn similar in age and type compared to how Sulak was last year.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He plays defense.

He could have a pregame ritual of wetting his pants, and score more own goals per year than Ericsson has in his career... and I would still want to at least take a look at him.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
URL][img]
delete

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't know much about him, but his 23 year old Pelicans season was definitely better than Sulak's staistically and he's played on North American ice before. Other than that, it's pretty damn similar in age and type compared to how Sulak was last year.

I was about to say this too but you beat me to it. He's pretty much the same guy as Sulak, which I guess I don't mind giving a shot but I'm not counting on anything, two way contract and let him battle for a roster spot. I think there's a healthy log jam for the Red Wings currently but he could help the Griffins or even the Walleye in Toledo.

I like the Finnish league with younger prospects cause a lot of other players are older/bigger stronger(Men) compared to some leagues here in North America, but when a guy is this old and not 18, I'm not blown back by the stats, if he was a 18/19 year old kid putting up these numbers I'd be very impressed but he wouldn't be a UFA he'd be going into the draft. Still raise's an eyebrow but I'm not expecting him to translate into that type of defender in the NHL. Honest opinion. Kid will be lucky to stick on the NHL roster and if he does it'll be a bottom pair/7th defender. He's a guy that can improve your minor league affiliates though and improve the development of younger players. That's all I'd expect from him personally, push guys like Saarijarvi and Regula for roles on the AHL squad. Odd men out are sent to Toledo/ECHL for expanded roles/minutes.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I was about to say this too but you beat me to it. He's pretty much the same guy as Sulak, which I guess I don't mind giving a shot but I'm not counting on anything, two way contract and let him battle for a roster spot. I think there's a healthy log jam for the Red Wings currently but he could help the Griffins or even the Walleye in Toledo.

I like the Finnish league with younger prospects cause a lot of other players are older/bigger stronger(Men) compared to some leagues here in North America, but when a guy is this old and not 18, I'm not blown back by the stats, if he was a 18/19 year old kid putting up these numbers I'd be very impressed but he wouldn't be a UFA he'd be going into the draft. Still raise's an eyebrow but I'm not expecting him to translate into that type of defender in the NHL. Honest opinion. Kid will be lucky to stick on the NHL roster and if he does it'll be a bottom pair/7th defender. He's a guy that can improve your minor league affiliates though and improve the development of younger players. That's all I'd expect from him personally, push guys like Saarijarvi and Regula for roles on the AHL squad. Odd men out are sent to Toledo/ECHL for expanded roles/minutes.

Kaski's season was far better though. Better PP/G, more goals, unanimous best player pf the team and voted best in the whole league.

Plus he shoots from right. I liked Bench's Rafalski analogy (Rafalski broke through in Finland in my hometown team).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What happened to him at Western Michigan? Why'd he leave after one season, a season that was pretty darn good?
He couldn't afford it, because they were going to reduce his scholarship after the season.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
There's a rumour that this guy signed but team is unknown? What team might have some other news to deal with first? Hmmm...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yup supposedly he's already signed an ELC with a unknown team. Wouldn't mind it if it were Detroit.
We'd know about it if he was signed because NHL teams have to report it to the league (for the 50 contract limit).

Based on the translated articles, it sounds like he may have an agreement in place with a team that is at the 50 limit and is waiting for ssome of the contracts to expire in July. If that is the case, there are only 3 teams that are at the 50 limit, the Caps, Canucks, and Sens. Rumor has it that Oliwer is a Caps fan.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->